How Often Do You Drink Alcohol? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How Often Do You Drink Alcohol?

How many alcoholic drinks do you have weekly? (Average)

• Over 15

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 10-15

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 5-9

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 1-4

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • None

Votes: 47 58.0%

• Total voters
I can't get past the horrible smell of rotten things

I said 10-15, but I drink every other weekend because of my work schedule. Some of the weekends that I drink it's more than 15, other weekends it's only one or two drinks. It really is variable, and hardly a pattern. Generally though if I get drunk it has negative consequences. I found ten dollars once when I was drunk, that was probably the only positive thing to ever come from drinking.

I used to drink a lot more than I do now. Combine the "troubles" I had freshman fall semester, and how sick I got last spring (which wasn't related to alcohol, but did force me to chance my habits) and I don't have an urge to drink heavily any more. Of course drinking "heavily" is defined much differently by my group of friends compared to the modern definition of heavy drinking.

Reactions: NeverAmI
Never; I'm under-aged.

I voted 1-4 even though I don't drink much anymore, but my average is still coming down from past experiences. It has been a few weeks since my last drink.

I can attest to what others mean by spirituality and an overall sense of pureness and well-being.

Now when I drink, I don't really get any real satisfaction from it. I think my own motivations were to escape myself, from my inhibitions which were symptoms of larger problems at hand.

But a whole other aspect is the social influence. It is hard to resist being part of the fun. Often there is a HUGE emphasis on alcohol consumption in almost any informal social setting, hell even formal anymore it seems like. You can resist drinking, but it is hard to enjoy yourself when everyone else seemingly has a drastically lowered intelligence and heightened extroversion.

Fortunately, I haven't had any real social influence on drinking for quite a while.

Maybe once every two weeks? It tends to be quite a lot when I do, though.

reflections... I was a bit worried about getting addicted at first, because I have an addictive personality, so I was really hesitant... but it actually turns out I don't have as much of a problem as I expected to. I'm totally with chaz about the mixers. Spiced rum and vanilla coke... <333. Probably the tastiest liquid I've ever had, maybe next to a the Indian mango lassie--if you can even call that a 'drink' and not a shake.

What I can say with pretty good certainty is that drinking heavily sometimes has been very good for me, for a bunch of reasons.

1. Your mindset is completely different while drunk. As someone who pays extremely close attention to their thoughts, it's incredibly interesting to see how my thought patterns and perceptions change while drunk. The first time I ever drank anything, I didn't really know how things worked, and I ended up downing about a cup of vodka (mixed with other things, of course... but about a cup of vodka total) over the course of about 2 hours. I proceeded to spend the drunkest 50 minutes or so turning my head to look at different things and marveling at how the vision would sort of "slosh behind" my sight--and then chuckling (internally at the irony, as I often do) at how, despite the whole drinking stigma (at least, growing up around religious people a lot), I could enjoy something like that with such a childish/innocent mindset.

2. For better or for worse, people are a hell of a lot more open when drunk than they are when sober. Before I drank anything, I would have probably said that the artificiality of peoples' drunken openness would annoy me... but after having tried it, I've changed my mind. It now seems to me almost as if people are constantly scared while sober, looking over their metaphorical shoulders for how people might judge them and paralyzed by worries, and when they're drunk they finally drop their guard and you can find out what they really think/feel about things. When I was/am in social situations where everyone is guarded and avoiding talking about anything personal at all, I tend to get bored, frustrated, and wish I were alone. While I do think this is a flaw of mine, getting annoyed at people for not showing any substance in their character, alcohol-induced openness does remove that problem. Even though it doesn't fix my character flaw in any permanent way, it does alleviate the symptoms/stimuli that cause it to be a problem.

3. As a sort of corollary to #2: there have been several times where I've disliked someone sober, but after playing a drinking game or two with them found that they make much more sense to me, which then made it a lot easier to be patient with their sober selves. This past summer I was hanging out with a lot of people I didn't know, and while I liked most of them, one struck me as kind of a jerk. He wasn't a complete asshole... but he was the kind of guy I would avoid if I had the choice. While playing a drinking game in a group, though, he was being much more friendly than usual. We joked around a bit, and I had to pick a partner for the game (which basically means whenever one of you drinks, you both have to), so I picked him. Things went smoothly and all, and from then on (although I have no idea whether he realized it or not) he must have had this idea in his head that I liked him, and he wasn't mean in the slightest. I thought about it, and concluded that his "brand" of jerk stemmed from insecurity, which led to pre-mature defensiveness--which usually entails treating people like they're a little bit shittier than you expect that they think of you. When he didn't think I thought badly of him, he wasn't as defensive, and we got along from then on. I've made similarly good sober-friends by drinking together with other people when they're upset about something, as well. They may not be 100% "their natural selves" while drunk, but their natural/sober selves sure remember that you were there with them for some companionship while upset. Think of it like real-life inception :D

I think it easily could cause lots of trouble, and I've heard from some alcoholics who are miserable because they drink, and drink because they're miserable, and I'm very wary of that sort of thing happening to me... but so far only good things have come of it (er.... only good things as far as my perception can tell), so I can really mostly only report the positive side of it.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Once or twice every millenia.

Yeah, I don't really drink... I have a low tolerance for alcohol.

Last edited:
I'll almost always have a class of wine each week. Sometimes more but that's usually in social settings that I'd have to drive home from, so no more than 2 drinks there.

I've stopped drinking as much now that I smoke weed.

I hardly ever drink alcohol for several reasons. Firstly I hate the taste of it, beer/lager tastes pretty awful to me though some of the lite/mild ones are ok...ish. It also makes me feel all bloated and need to pee a lot. Wine I hate and it gives me a terrible headache and hangover. A glass of bubbly champagne is nice though. I like vodka mixed with something but I don't like to get drunk, I can't stand puking up and if I drink it really shows in my face the next day.......terrible complexion, circles under my eyes.......UGH.

I used to drink every weekend when young, one thing about alcohol is that I become suddenly extrovert and will talk to anyone, but I'd also go off with anyone too..........dangerous.

I've always detested the way it is seen as "cool" to be able to consume vast quantities of alcohol and you're viewed as a "lightweight" and "boring" if you don't drink a lot. Whereas I think you're an idiot and glutton if you have to waste a lot of money on gross liquid you pour down your throat in order to "have a good time."

I don't think that about people who have serious psychiatric problems and use alcohol to numb their pain though, I know a couple of people who are alcoholics with tragic pasts and I feel so much for them.

I don't drink, it actually hurts. It burns even if its just a cooler, but I don't like the taste on top of that. I also have a really weak stomache and get headaches real easy so out of general paranoia I don't.
I MAY lose my drunkenness virginity if I'm in a safe place though, with a bed and black out curtains but we'll see.
Port was okay though.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
I don't drink, it actually hurts. It burns even if its just a cooler, but I don't like the taste on top of that. I also have a really weak stomache and get headaches real easy so out of general paranoia I don't.
I MAY lose my drunkenness virginity if I'm in a safe place though, with a bed and black out curtains but we'll see.
Port was okay though.

You have obviously been drinking cheap crap. It is better to drink good stuff seldom, than rubbish often - the effects speak for themselves.

I'll have a half/quarter serve of alcohol almost every day. I'll only drink substantially about every two or three weeks.

None, I don't drink.

And If I did I would be practically living at the gym trying to work it off.
I only drink if its worth my time, such as a good quality shot of port or cognac accompanied with a plater of cheese, fruit, dark chocolate and reggae music.

Good times.

Last edited:
Reactions: aeon
Also, I am confused as to how people can down 10m times more liquid than they ever could fit inside of their bodies simply because a few percent of it is alcohol o_O.
Like drinking 4 litres of fluid in under 10 minutes only works if its boos. If it's milk you throw up.
Its MAGIC.

Oh right I was headed to bed

None usually. Since I turned 21 almost 7 years ago, my only alcohol consumption has been 1 glass of merlot at an over the hill party, two glasses of champagne at a wedding, and some Bailey's at my cousin's wedding reception. My family is anti drinking entirely, although for some reason they allowed me to make my choice whether or not to have those drinks when I went to those events. They go to my head and help me sleep, but because my birth mother was an alcoholic I decided I wouldn't make it a normal occurrence.

The time I had two glasses of champagne I suddenly became rather bubbly and extroverted. My grandfather pretty much kept it away from me the rest of the evening.

Last edited:
Wow, I seem to be in a minority on this one.

And here come the red flags:

1) I drink every night
2) I usually have a 40oz (It's just one beer, OCCIFER!)
3) I drink alone

Now, just to clarify, I drink as a nightcap. Going to sleep on a decent buzz is just a part of my nightly routine. On rare occasions I'll drink socially, but I generally detest being inebriated before my day is over and I'm in a place where I can veg out and crash within an hour or so. You could equate it to, 'hem, my liquid pajamas so to speak.

When I drink I am given to a certain amount of wistfulness and sentimentality, but I am by no means (on the defensive, heheh) stumbling around with a loaded gun and a bottle of jack, crying, drunk-calling or picking fights. It simply happens to work with my introvert tendency of relaxing and recharging best on my own.

I dunno, maybe I've got a bit of Russian in me. Ultimately I know it's not good for the liver and there's no getting around that. I was just surprised to see how few people were in my category. Props to y'all for living healthy though.

I rarely drink unless I'm with good friends, but I think I have a healthy respect for it. I physically can't drink more than three drinks - which is fine, because I'm a lightweight. I enjoy a drink from time to time, but I honestly don't drink on a regular basis. The last time I drank was two weeks ago, and I had three glasses of Sangria. Before then, was probably six months ago.

To the question: More females are drinking than ever before though, and the college levels of binge drinking for females are nearing male binge levels. I wish the respect levels were healthier in the US, though. I think kids with a healthy respect for drinking treat it as it should be treated: As an occasional icebreaker/lubricant, but not as an excuse to drink oneself silly at every opportunity.

I rarely drink, but when I do, it's usually because I'm going out and everyone is binge drinking and I actually feel like the benefits of being smashed at a party outweigh the benefits of remaining sober at said party. In which case, I get 'er done.

Once in a blue moon, I'll feel like a glass of wine after dinner... and that hasn't happened in a long time. So yeah, not much of drinker. Or smoker these days either. My braincells have called for moratorium on all chemical-based hedonism.

The last time I got drunk was November of 2007. I had one alcoholic drink in April of 2009 and before that had one alcoholic drink in May of 2008. Needless to say, I very rarely have alcohol.

I'm drunk and IIIIIIIIII don't feel so good. This is why I don't do it often!