How to Recognize an INFJ | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

How to Recognize an INFJ

* Clumsy, yes! But I have covered it up well in the way I carry myself...at least in public. At home I'll be so lost in thought that I walk into things all the time, thinking
"What? How did that wall get there?!?" Then I think, "What is WRONG with me?!?"

* I am constantly feeling jittery in movies because I can't stand embarassing situations! And there have been times when I've even talked silently under my breath to encourage speakers who are floundering with their speeches. (OMG Don't even get me started on speeches!) Of course they can't hear me and it doesn't do any good, but that doesn't seem to stop me.

* I do notice that I pick up on people and situations quickly. Then I'm left wondering why everyone else can't see it. It just seems so obvious.

* I don't know if anyone else experiences communication difficulties, too. Probably. When listening to others, I tend to only need the "Big Picture" and all the little details just kind of fall into place for me....I get exasperated with people that go over and over and over each detail to tell a story. I mean, "I GET IT ALREADY, MOVE ON!" That's in my head of course. It would be rude to say it out loud! But here's the flip side of that (and it doesn't serve me well at all)...since I like "Big Picture" talking, most other types don't understand what it is I'm trying to share with them...they need each tiny detail explained before they begin to comprehend. Then I just feel kinda clumsy and foolish...ready to go back to my thoughts knowing that I'm right and they "just don't get it". :m093:

Here's a couple things I've noticed from reading INFJs posts over the past year or so...

INFJs feel awkward about their body posture/body language all the time and constantly are shifting into a position they feel comfortable being seen in.

INFJs are master people watchers. They people watch when no one things they are looking. This includes and is not limited to:
-Pretending to sleep with sun glasses on
-Eavesdropping while pretending to listen to music on ear phones
-People watching while pretending to read
(or am I the only one who does these things? haha!)

Masters of escaping uncomfortable situations - maybe we're just good liars
Pretending to take/make a call on your cellphone
"Remembering" something you forgot in your car/left at home

Once someone gets past our walls, yet hasn't earned our trust to be that close to use, they get pushed back/pushed out of our lives completely

INFJs rarely show interest in their 'prey' right off the bat. If/when they do show interest, it is a calculated, laboriously planned out maneauver that is only made if there is a high probability of success. Otherwise, the INFJ will resort to just being around their person of interest, hanging off a distance, watching them interact, (ok... it's 'stalking') and maybe occassionally will approach the person. The most interest the other person shows in the INFJ, the more freedom/safer the INFJ feels in continuing to pursue.

There's a lot more but I'm at work now...

I have one to add, INFJ's don't tend to pay absolute attention to what is going on around them. Thus they tend to miss a whole lot of the conversation, and moving cars. Sometimes you have to shout at them to get their attention.

Hahaha. My step mother makes fun of me all the time for the first part. She's gotten good at noticing when I'm actually paying attention to what she's saying versus when I'm in "automatic" mode (I'm not all there).

I'm always been yelled at for walking in front of cars. Bluh...I really try to work on this one.

I often have mysterious bruises I can't explain.

My legs, quite often, look like bruised apples (or like I got in a fight with a shopping cart). My arms are no better. I'm always getting "ooohh...that looks like it was painful!" or "look at all those bruises! how did you get them??"

And I never have an answer because I never, ever remember running into anything.

Also, I don't know if this is an INFJ thing, but I have an innate sense of where I am (direction-wise). I never pay much attention to my surroundings and it surprises people when I know exactly where to turn and how far to go. I don't even know how I know...it's like a sixth sense :mlight:

Here's a couple things I've noticed from reading INFJs posts over the past year or so...

INFJs feel awkward about their body posture/body language all the time and constantly are shifting into a position they feel comfortable being seen in.

INFJs are master people watchers. They people watch when no one things they are looking. This includes and is not limited to:

Once someone gets past our walls, yet hasn't earned our trust to be that close to use, they get pushed back/pushed out of our lives completely

INFJs rarely show interest in their 'prey' right off the bat. If/when they do show interest, it is a calculated, laboriously planned out maneauver that is only made if there is a high probability of success. Otherwise, the INFJ will resort to just being around their person of interest, hanging off a distance, watching them interact, (ok... it's 'stalking') and maybe occassionally will approach the person. The most interest the other person shows in the INFJ, the more freedom/safer the INFJ feels in continuing to pursue.

This cracks me up!!! It's true.

I think I have become less clumsy but my feet still betray me all too often. My main issue in tennis is footwork (if I can get them to move in the first place).
I don't typically smack right into things but I often graze it or clip it with my shoulder, etc. I trip up the stairs a great deal (then dad tells me I really ought to pick up my feet, haha)
DDR is typically disastrous. I can feel out the rhythm but knowing which foot to put where is so difficult.

When I like someone I zero in on them and pretty much stalk them. Sorry, it's true. But I don't mean it in a creepy way ;)

I think it was von hase that said we can see straight through you but we find it difficult to look at you. sigh, yes. spot on.

I always change the channel when someone is about to embarass themselves in a movie.

sometimes i become too conscious about how my legs move and where my feet are placed when i'm walking...then my arm movements go out of sync

no one ever notices but it feels awkward...almost like i wasn't built for walking with my limbs but rather gliding via my body centre

Here's my take on how to spot an INFJ.

INFJs are deep thinkers who are more concerned with 'why' and 'how' than 'what if' or their current surroundings.
INFJs are people who are more emotionally involved in how they feel things should be than their own personal interactions.

INFJs can look right through you, but have trouble looking at you.
INFJs often know what is about to happen, but sometimes not what is happening.
INFJs want to know why, but get annoyed with people who ask what if.
INFJs will tell you things that make no sense today, and perfect sense tomorrow.

INFJs know how they feel about everything, except themselves.
INFJs know how the world should be, but are seldom able to explain it.
INFJs are more emotionally charged by events that happen to the people they care about than events that happen to themselves.
INFJs will take one for the team without hesitating.

Spot on!

My friends make fun of me for being the guy who gets completely lost in thought with an intense expression on his face.

I get that quite often myself.

"What's wrong?"
"Are you mad?"

* Clumsy, yes! But I have covered it up well in the way I carry myself...at least in public. At home I'll be so lost in thought that I walk into things all the time, thinking

* I am constantly feeling jittery in movies because I can't stand embarassing situations! And there have been times when I've even talked silently under my breath to encourage speakers who are floundering with their speeches. (OMG Don't even get me started on speeches!) Of course they can't hear me and it doesn't do any good, but that doesn't seem to stop me.

* I do notice that I pick up on people and situations quickly. Then I'm left wondering why everyone else can't see it. It just seems so obvious.

* I don't know if anyone else experiences communication difficulties, too. Probably. When listening to others, I tend to only need the "Big Picture" and all the little details just kind of fall into place for me....I get exasperated with people that go over and over and over each detail to tell a story. I mean, "I GET IT ALREADY, MOVE ON!" That's in my head of course. It would be rude to say it out loud! But here's the flip side of that (and it doesn't serve me well at all)...since I like "Big Picture" talking, most other types don't understand what it is I'm trying to share with them...they need each tiny detail explained before they begin to comprehend. Then I just feel kinda clumsy and foolish...ready to go back to my thoughts knowing that I'm right and they "just don't get it". :m093:

I could've written this myself. I feel exactly the same thing. :D

Clumsy? Well I wouldn't really have identified myself as clumsy until I started reading these posts and thinking "yeah, I do do that don't I?" It just so happens that it's so much a part of my life now I brush those things off. I have weak ligaments in my ankles which makes things worse :). If anything I'm walking on is even slightly uneven or not where I expected it to be, I trip.
But most of the rest of the time I'm fairly graceful. Good posture no visible quirks about the way I walk, or so I've been told. I'll just be walking in my flawless manner and then BAM, I'll walk into something, trip, inadvertantly cut/graze myself on something, etc.

I had to manually close my mouth to prevent me from grinning too wide when I was reading this. I'm in my school library :D too true

The women smell like daisies and the men smell like pork.

Same here. In public I'm fine but when I'm by myself my inner clutz emerges.

Slant, have you ever smelled a daisy? It's rather sickening. I smell like grapefruit, just saying.

Maybe Slant is repelled by our daisy-like odor.

My favorite smells are: grapefruit, orange blossom trees, baby (yes baby, that intriguing mix of rice cereal and baby powder)

Maybe. Hmmm.:m125:
I like jasmine, the smell of novels and my violin which smells of rosin and pollish.

Last edited:
In sight, yes, Daisies rock. Gerber daisies are among my favorite flowers. I'm just not in a rush to stick my nose up in one ^__^

Awe.... I love daisies Alcy.. they're my favorite flower. But you know.. I suppose it must be completely aesthetic for me because I don't ever remember sticking my "nose up in one"

I'm just saying that how can you not spot an INFJ? it's quite obvious, you don't need to smell them to know what their MBTI is. but I guess that's a guideline for those who need one...
very accurate, too.