How to Recognize an INFJ | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How to Recognize an INFJ

My friends make fun of me for being the guy who gets completely lost in thought with an intense expression on his face.

Thanks guys. You know us INFJs. We have to have it right.

For the record, I too share the preoccupied bumble factor. However, you're making me very thankful that my father got me into martial arts at five years old, and that my parents also encouraged me to develop my Se through art since I was able to pick up a crayon.

I often joke that I am 'the world's most graceful klutz'. When I bumble, I almost never (as in I can't remember it actually happening) fall down, and almost always catch anything that I drop before it hits the ground. Of course, the getting beaned in the head by the door frame of my car... there is no recovery for that, other than to act like it didn't hurt, which is hard to do when one of your eyes is involuntarily reeling out of focus, hehe.

Man...I tend not to notice my klutziness anymore. I used to be far worse as a child (I was tall for my age and extremely uncoordinated). I can't tell you the number of dishes and glasses I dropped or broke. And tripping was the norm.

I was even placed in a special gym class to help improve my coordination. :p

I try to walk carefully and gingerly now but I do have my spells of falling, tripping, and just plain clumsiness. I think last time I tripped over my ottoman and fell on my head....

I'm a pretty graceful klutz myself. When I'm focused on moving - like in sports, or martial arts (I wish I could still take one!) I'm pretty graceful. When I'm not focused on it, I forget about it, hence clumsy. And no one else was outside at the time to witness the car door frame attack my head. So I can make the car out to be the villian there! :wink:

Great description/refinements Von.

Why does this thread remind me of that show that used to be on, called Taxi Cab Confessions?

I can't drink tea while watching documentaries - I always start tipping the cup before it reaches my lips. :(

Lol! That reminds me of one thing I still constantly do, Flavus: I can't drink from glass bottles that often. Inevitably I will miss my lips and hit my teeth. And I've chipped my front teeth twice doing this! Lol!

arbygil - you've given me an idea.

Van Hase - how about adding to STEP 2:

INFJs are not reluctant to engage in self-deprecatory comments/stories.

PS **miss the jedi already**

:D Pristinegirl, maybe it's an INFJ thing...or maybe it's something else. I can laugh at myself when it comes to clumsiness, so I don't mind sharing those stories. Even if it's something I hate to reveal (if I'm made to feel stupid, or what have you), I'll cringe, but I'll share it.

I dunno. It doesn't bother me that much, but I'm also 40. It might be maturity as well.

Here's something to consider, though: I find it extremely difficult to watch other people in difficult situations. Like the movie, "Meet the Parents" - I laughed because the situations were so darned insane, but I constantly hid my eyes when I watched it. It hurt *so much* to see poor Gaylord in all those EMBARRASSING situations! I'll always hide my eyes when some poor schmuck gets into painful situation after painful situation when it's not of his doing.

Last edited:
von definitely hit it right. nice job man

as for the klutz problem, I used to have it to some extent but krav has helped me a long long way. Definitely more aware of my surroundings now even though I have barely started training.

I often joke that I am 'the world's most graceful klutz'. When I bumble, I almost never (as in I can't remember it actually happening) fall down, and almost always catch anything that I drop before it hits the ground. Of course, the getting beaned in the head by the door frame of my car... there is no recovery for that, other than to act like it didn't hurt, which is hard to do when one of your eyes is involuntarily reeling out of focus, hehe.

Ha that's me exactly. My doctor says I have crazy scary reflexes. I always catch everything I drop.

Oh and the not being able to watch people embarrass themselves in movies..... I am terrible. I will get up and walk out of the room it makes me so uncomfortable. I literally cringe...

Last edited:
Ashamed to admit it, but the only times I have ever screamed in a movie were when something embarrassing was happening to a character.

I have heard many of my friends talk about how seeing someone less fortunate as them or suffering more than them makes them feel better about themselves.

I still can't wrap my head around this.

Same here I just feel worse.

That drives me nuts.

Oh and the not being able to watch people embarrass themselves in movies..... I am terrible. I will get up and walk out of the room it makes me so uncomfortable. I literally cringe...

This is exactly me (minus the walking away part). I've been trying to stop getting so worked up about this when it happens, but I still end up doing it.

This is exactly me (minus the walking away part). I've been trying to stop getting so worked up about this when it happens, but I still end up doing it.

Strange, I also do this. It's one of the reasons I don't like seeing movies in theaters, seeing characters embarrass themselves or mess up etc. drives me insane and upsets me as if I were feeling it or something. How can people possibly feel good watching things like that happen! :rain:

I have heard many of my friends talk about how seeing someone less fortunate as them or suffering more than them makes them feel better about themselves.

I still can't wrap my head around this.

My parents always used to call other's misfortune the fool's consolation.

Fool's saying: look at the bright side, things could be worse.

I've also been described as graceful. Which I totally don't understand.

I've also been told that I am "paintable" (like art work).

Here's my take on how to spot an INFJ.

INFJs are deep thinkers who are more concerned with 'why' and 'how' than 'what if' or their current surroundings.
INFJs are people who are more emotionally involved in how they feel things should be than their own personal interactions.

INFJs can look right through you, but have trouble looking at you.
INFJs often know what is about to happen, but sometimes not what is happening.
INFJs want to know why, but get annoyed with people who ask what if.
INFJs will tell you things that make no sense today, and perfect sense tomorrow.

INFJs know how they feel about everything, except themselves.
INFJs know how the world should be, but are seldom able to explain it.
INFJs are more emotionally charged by events that happen to the people they care about than events that happen to themselves.
INFJs will take one for the team without hesitating.

very nice man! :m107: