Great Horror Films | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Great Horror Films

The Shining!
Psycho
Nosferatu
The Birds

I'll watch blood and guts slashers, but I don't particularly like them. I'd rather some kind of creepy thriller. Classics preferred.

have you noticed it's always less scary whenever the monster/killer/whatever is revealed, and much MORE terrifying before it? i think when it comes to horror, reality can't compete with the power of the imagination (as kooky as that sounds, lol)

the shining; new one
devils rejects
the thing
signs - m night shyamalan gets alotta flack but i liked the way he made this movie

also any unexplained/realistic paranormal movies or documentaries like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZkgUA84hA"]YouTube - Ghostly Car Ad[/ame]

have you noticed it's always less scary whenever the monster/killer/whatever is revealed, and much MORE terrifying before it? i think when it comes to horror, reality can't compete with the power of the imagination (as kooky as that sounds, lol)

I don't think it sounds kooky at all :) when a film leaves things to our imagination, we get to picture our most terrifying version of whatever it is. It's like our own anti-ideal. It will be very different from someone else's... so that's why it's less scary when someone supplies the scary thing for us.

I completely agree with you on this. It's why I prefer books to movies 95% of the time.

Definitely:

The Shining
Serpent and the Rainbow
Candyman

I don't think The Forth Kind is really horror, I think it's suspense but it was creepy....

I actually did watch the Japanese version for One Missed Call. Probably 1.
I liked the ring tone. Lol.
Were 2 and 3 any good?

I thought they were good. I got lucky one day and found a 4-pack with all of the One Missed Call movies (including the American version) four $6 at Best Buy a few years ago.

I'll also add another vote for The Shining, both the 1980 version with Jack Nicholson as well as the 1997 tv-miniseries. Two great adaptations to the book.

The Shining (Or Shinning if you're a Simpsons fan!) with jack Nicholson, without a doubt, one of the finest.
Alien
Event Horizon
Twilight Zone: The movie (borderline horror IMO)
Fallen

And if we're going to talk about Halloween movies, then many Tim Burton movies come to mind:
Sleepy Hollow
Beetlejuice
Edward Scissorhands
A Nightmare Before Christmas

May

Evil Dead 1 & 2, Army of Darkness,
The Exorcist
Halloween
Night, Dawn and Day of the dead
Return of the living dead 1, and 2.
Cabin Fever
Drag me to Hell
Creepshow
the Shining
Fright Night
Dolls
They live

there are so many to choose from.

Can't believe I forgot Evil Dead. I actually own it. Very good scary movie. Great list Billy.

Evil Dead 1 & 2, Army of Darkness,
The Exorcist
Halloween
Night, Dawn and Day of the dead
Return of the living dead 1, and 2.
Cabin Fever
Drag me to Hell
Creepshow
the Shining
Fright Night
Dolls
They live

there are so many to choose from.

Ouch! I pissed my pants watching that movie and it wasn't because it was exactly... um... scary.:fear:

Guillermo del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth" & "The Devil's Backbone".
John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness".

In the "classic B-movie" vein: "The Blob" & "Them!"

Also: Not a movie, but Stephen King's "It" has plenty of scares.

Guillermo del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth" & "The Devil's Backbone".
John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness".

In the "classic B-movie" vein: "The Blob" & "Them!"

Also: Not a movie, but Stephen King's "It" has plenty of scares.

*shudders* I am deathly afraid of clowns!

I'm really a lightweight, but I've seen a few.

Aliens was scary to me - and I'm seeing it on AMC right now. Forgot how scary it was...

Arachnophobia scared me, actually - and that's more my speed. I won't see anything scarier, and I hate gore.

Repo The Genetic Opera is something, a musical opera and horror film. A gem if you can get past the horror.

Repo The Genetic Opera is something, a musical opera and horror film. A gem if you can get past the horror.

The movie was awful on both fronts. The "horror" was badly done and incredibly campy (not in a good way). And as for the musical aspects of it, well.... there was only one decent song in the whole thing and only one solid performer. The music was also rather uninspired in it's composition and mostly fell flat. I was hoping to get more out of it. Sadly, it fell horribly short. I won't watch it again. Though, I do love "Legal Assassin" and Anthony Stewart Head was simply fantastic. Other than that, I would not recommend it. It's a circus.

The Mist
The Others
Let the right one in
REC
The Decent
Dark water (Honogurai mizu no soko kara)
Jacob's ladder (The film that inspired the game series 'Silent Hill')

And if we're going to talk about Halloween movies, then many Tim Burton movies come to mind:
Sleepy Hollow
Beetlejuice
Edward Scissorhands
A Nightmare Before Christmas

I have MASSIVE love for all four of these movies (Tim Burton is my favorite director). I know all of the lines from beetlejuice. It drives my friends NUTS when I watch it with them :D.

Sleepaway Camp parts I, II, and III.

I have MASSIVE love for all four of these movies (Tim Burton is my favorite director). I know all of the lines from beetlejuice. It drives my friends NUTS when I watch it with them :D.

Tim Burton?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzLRP8e4vE"]YouTube - Tim Burton's Secret Formula[/ame]

Don't even get me started on M. Night Shyamalan.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hksKLHt9Kzg"]YouTube - No One Likes M. Night Shyamalan[/ame]