Great Horror Films

DevilDoll

Beware! I Bite...
Dec 6, 2009
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
So, in honor of the month of October and the wonderful holiday that is Halloween, I decided to make a thread asking everyone what their favorite horror movies are. I will also be using this to plan my horror movie marathon that I will be having up until Halloween. So, give me some good ones!

Ready.... Set....Go!

The Ring (Ringu) and The Grudge (Ju-On) are always classics to start. I recommend the Japanese versions though, if you can find them. The English remakes are kind of crap.

The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity.

Audition.

One Missed Call.

I'll think up of others later.

Here are some of my favorites:

Psycho - (the original not the remake)People can argue that this is more of a thriller, but I consider it horror.
Carrie
Christine
The Descent - the way this movie was filmed and the tight spaces drives my claustrophobia nuts.
Ginger Snaps - Werewolves at their finest.
Amityville Horror
War of the Worlds - The 1953 version. Great Sci-fi horror. <3 the remake was also rather good.
Alien - Another Sci-fi that scares the crap out of me.
30 Days of Night - Not incredibly scary, but an interesting take on vampires

I am sure there are more. Honestly, I could list more horror movies that I have seen and hated. I'm really picky when it comes to this genre.

Friday the 13th
Freddy Kruger (he was scarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry)
Tales from the Dark Side (that show was unbelievable - nightmare central)

Here are some of my favorites:

Psycho - (the original not the remake)People can argue that this is more of a thriller, but I consider it horror.
Carrie
Christine
The Descent - the way this movie was filmed and the tight spaces drives my claustrophobia nuts.
Ginger Snaps - Werewolves at their finest.
Amityville Horror
War of the Worlds - The 1953 version. Great Sci-fi horror. <3 the remake was also rather good.
Alien - Another Sci-fi that scares the crap out of me.
30 Days of Night - Not incredibly scary, but an interesting take on vampires

I am sure there are more. Honestly, I could list more horror movies that I have seen and hated. I'm really picky when it comes to this genre.

Oh, Amityville Horror!
You listed the one movie title I keep forgetting. I loved that movie.
It was so great.

The Ring (Ringu) and The Grudge (Ju-On) are always classics to start. I recommend the Japanese versions though, if you can find them. The English remakes are kind of crap.

Audition.

One Missed Call.

You named four of the films I have seen in the past few years that I laughed all the way through. The Ring, The Grudge, The Blair Witch Project, and Paranormal Activity. I didn't find any of them to be scary in any way. Teenage gimmicks if you ask me. I want to see the Japanese versions of the first two, though. I hear they are much better.

You named four of the films I have seen in the past few years that I laughed all the way through. The Ring, The Grudge, The Blair Witch Project, and Paranormal Activity. I didn't find any of them to be scary in any way. Teenage gimmicks if you ask me. I want to see the Japanese versions of the first two, though. I hear they are much better.

I didn't personally watch The Blair Witch Project. Paranormal Activity yes.
I liked the idea, but like you, I did laugh at it.

Audition was really icky. Good if you like that sort of stuff.

On another note, you ought to watch the japanese version for the first two.
Might not scare you as you already know the gist of it, but it's good.

Last edited:
I didn't personally watch The Blair Witch Project. Paranormal Activity yes.
I liked the idea, but like you, I did laugh at it.

Audition was really icky. Good if you like that sort of stuff.

On another note, you ought to watch the japanese version for the first two.
Might not scare you as you already know the gist of it, but it's good.

I have heard that audition is pretty disgusting. Sometimes I am in the mood for that kind of thing.

I do really want to see Ringu, though. I have heard really good things. Sadly, it's a little difficult to find.

Oh, and don't bother with Blair Witch... It's a joke.

I don't do well with horror movies because of my anxiety. However, The Ring and even more so The Ring 2 has a special place in my heart. That is the kind of horror that I like.

The movies that scared the crap out of me
Nightmare on Elm Street--that is Freddy Kruger
The Exorcist--still creeps me out

Not exactly horror
But "A Tale Of Two Sisters" is definetely a must see

Audition.

One Missed Call.

I'm going to add that you should try to watch the Japanese version of One Missed Call 1, 2, and 3. I personally found the English remake to be very laughable.

As for some of my personal favorites, I'd recommend:

Child's Play (especially if Cabbage Patch dolls or any kind of doll creeps you out)
The Puppet Master
Wes Craven's New Nightmare (this movie doesn't get the love it deserves)
Tremors (not scary in the least, but it's technically a horror film)
Jason Goes to Hell (only scary if you're squeamish)
Jaws
Friday the 13th: Part 1 (whether or not you find the series scary, I think the earlier parts deserve some recognition for their unique utilization of the first-person perspective)
Halloween 2, the Rob Zombie version (I don't understand the hate for this movie, or the one before it. I found them both to be tasteful and artistic remakes of the original)
The Omen (the older ones, not the new one that came out in 2006)
Two Girls, One Cup

Reactions: Bird
I have heard that audition is pretty disgusting. Sometimes I am in the mood for that kind of thing.

I do really want to see Ringu, though. I have heard really good things. Sadly, it's a little difficult to find.

Oh, and don't bother with Blair Witch... It's a joke.

It is. I watched the Japanese version. I just remembered they had English remakes for them. It's really bad, don't watch it.

I can probably try and find a link for you tomorrow, or some time when I'm kind of free.

I'm going to add that you should try to watch the Japanese version of One Missed Call 1, 2, and 3. I personally found the English remake to be very laughable.

As for some of my personal favorites, I'd recommend:

Child's Play (especially if Cabbage Patch dolls or any kind of doll creeps you out)
The Puppet Master
Wes Craven's New Nightmare (this movie doesn't get the love it deserves)
Tremors (not scary in the least, but it's technically a horror film)
Jason Goes to Hell (only scary if you're squeamish)
Jaws
Friday the 13th: Part 1 (whether or not you find the series scary, I think the earlier parts deserve some recognition for their unique utilization of the first-person perspective)
Halloween 2, the Rob Zombie version (I don't understand the hate for this movie, or the one before it. I found them both to be tasteful and artistic remakes of the original)
The Omen (the older ones, not the new one that came out in 2006)
Two Girls, One Cup

I actually did watch the Japanese version for One Missed Call. Probably 1.
I liked the ring tone. Lol.
Were 2 and 3 any good?

Will I be the first to say 'Twilight'?

I had to leave the movie theatres or I was going to puke everything under.

Evil Dead 1 & 2, Army of Darkness,
The Exorcist
Halloween
Night, Dawn and Day of the dead
Return of the living dead 1, and 2.
Cabin Fever
Drag me to Hell
Creepshow
the Shining
Fright Night
Dolls
They live

there are so many to choose from.

The Changeling. Maybe it just freaks me out so much because I first saw it when I was about 8 years old.

The Mothman Prophecies. It's actually kinda dumb now that I think about it, but I'm still leary of driving at night and staring at tail lights.

Reactions: Questingpoet
dawn of the dead is a good one =)

The Changeling 1980
Re-animator
From Beyond
Serpent and the rainbow
Demons
Fright Night
The Shining
Hellraiser
if youre a horror fan like me, The Haunted Palace 1963 ;P

The Shining!
Psycho
Nosferatu
The Birds

I'll watch blood and guts slashers, but I don't particularly like them. I'd rather some kind of creepy thriller. Classics preferred.