Great Horror Films | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Great Horror Films

John Carpenter's version of "The Thing".

Or for something with a few more laughs:
Phantasm
Bubba Ho-Tep
Young Frankenstein:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw2IIU0a9qw"]YouTube - Young Frankenstein - Funniest Scene (Old Hermit Scene)[/ame]

The movie was awful on both fronts. The "horror" was badly done and incredibly campy (not in a good way). And as for the musical aspects of it, well.... there was only one decent song in the whole thing and only one solid performer. The music was also rather uninspired in it's composition and mostly fell flat. I was hoping to get more out of it. Sadly, it fell horribly short. I won't watch it again. Though, I do love "Legal Assassin" and Anthony Stewart Head was simply fantastic. Other than that, I would not recommend it. It's a circus.

It was original if nothing else I guess. I dunno to me it was to horror films what Dark City was to Science fiction films, a misunderstood film.

Last edited:
Okay how about The Evil Dead series that was interesting. The Army of Darkness was funny, not really horror per say but very amusing. The first few were and there is maybe gonna be a a revamp.

My friend went through a phase back before Freddy vs Jason came out so we marathoned all the old Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm streets. For the most part the first Friday the 13th was cheesy then the next few were quite good then round 6 they got ridiculously cheesy. The first Nightmare on Elm street was a classic and the 2nd and 3rd were decent then they went down hill. I just saw the new one and it was pretty awful.

Silence of the Lambs whilst not a screamer is probably one of my favourite movies all time. The others including Hannibal Rising are fairly good too.

I know there's a bunch of good Korean ones, there was one I saw about the Water/drowning which had a pretty good plot but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Also Begotten is stupid.

HAHAHAH! Oh I don't care if all his movies are more or less cookie cutter (for the record helena carter is my favorite actress!) They are still amazing.

Ooh, another one that fits with this thread: Mars Attacks!

I haven't heard anyone mention that movie in so long! I had almost completely forgotten about it. But I must watch it again now.

Also, Sleepy Hollow is probably one of my most favorite movies ever. LOVE the imagery in Burton films.

Psycho - (the original not the remake)People can argue that this is more of a thriller, but I consider it horror.
Carrie
Christine
The Descent - the way this movie was filmed and the tight spaces drives my claustrophobia nuts.
Ginger Snaps - Werewolves at their finest.
Amityville Horror
War of the Worlds - The 1953 version. Great Sci-fi horror. <3 the remake was also rather good.
Alien - Another Sci-fi that scares the crap out of me.
30 Days of Night - Not incredibly scary, but an interesting take on vampires
CHRISTINE!!! I love that movie. X]

Also I totally agree about The Descent. It was really hard for me to actually watch that movie because of that.

My favorite horrors are more intellectual, so Silence of The Lambs is way up there.

And more love for Aliens here also, but mostly just because I am madly in love with HR Giger. He is my favorite artist of all time, and the aliens and ships were conceptually his brainchild. My god his art is utterly amazing.

The Japanese versions of Ring 1&2 were very scary :D I liked them a lot.
The Orphanage was absolutely petrifying. I missed half of it the first time because I couldn't watch ^^"
28 Weeks Later - just the very start was incredibly scary. My friend described it well when she said it was 'just like a nightmare'.
Nosferatu - weirdly. The bit where he looks out the window then walks up the stairs with long shadow-hands was scary.
The original version of The Innocents (black and white) is supposed to be very scary.

I'm going to watch 'The Wicker Man' this Halloween - I saw the ending and it looks awesome!

I'm going to watch 'The Wicker Man' this Halloween - I saw the ending and it looks awesome!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy9hiI1Pfkk"]YouTube - Koolfox - The Wicker Man - Not The Bees Remix[/ame]

The Descent was awesome. I actually got to see the "European" ending, and it was far more creepy (and it made more sense to me). It's hard to find an intelligent thriller/horror movie these days but Descent was one of the few I'd put among my "favorites". :mlight: :m194:

The Descent was awesome. I actually got to see the "European" ending, and it was far more creepy (and it made more sense to me). It's hard to find an intelligent thriller/horror movie these days but Descent was one of the few I'd put among my "favorites". :mlight: :m194:

I agree. It actually put me on edge and most of todays horror movies don't. What was the alternate ending?

I agree. It actually put me on edge and most of todays horror movies don't. What was the alternate ending?

The girl never got out, and was hallucinating that she did.

Maybe that was it, then - another version I saw ended the movie with her in the car. But I like that one,
where she was hallucinating.
That was cool.

Per IMDB (although this might be too late now):
The endings of the US and UK versions differ. In the end, Sarah wakes up at the bottom of the cave, crawls out, and makes her way back to the car. When she is driving away, she pulls over and vomits, and when she leans back into the car, she is startled by the ghost of Juno sitting in the passenger seat. The US version cuts to the credits here. In the UK version, this apparition causes Sarah to wake up for real at the bottom of the cave, revealing her escape to be just a dream. She then has a vision of her daughter's birthday cake, which we see is just her torch. The camera backs out, the voices of the creatures can be heard again and are increasing in strength as they are closing in on her, and the movie ends. This ending was considered "too dark" for US audiences.

Maybe that was it, then -
another version I saw ended the movie with her in the car. But I like that one, where she was hallucinating.
That was cool.

I agree. Any other ending just takes away from the creepy vibe it leaves you with.

Yes, The Descent was a very well made film. I saw the UK edit. I couldn't see the film ending in any other way.
The plot itself was simple but it worked to the advantage of the film. One of the best survival horror films I have seen in a long time, next to The Mist.
It had a good combination of action (which actually looked realistic for once) and psychology which was accommodating to the fans of both genres.
I wasn't expecting much when I watched it for the first time, however I pleasantly surprised. Definitely one for the Halloween season, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has claustrophobia.

Last edited:
Yes, The Descent was a very well made film. I saw the UK edit. I couldn't see the film ending in any other way.
The plot itself was simple but it worked to the advantage of the film. One of the best survival horror films I have seen in a long time, next to The Mist.
It had a good combination of action (which actually looked realistic for once) and psychology which was accommodating to the fans of both genres.
I wasn't expecting much when I watched it for the first time, however I pleasantly surprised. Definitely one for the Halloween season, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has claustrophobia.

I watch it because I have claustrophobia. It take the psychological thrill factor to a completely new level.

john carpenter's "the thing" with kurt russle
john carpenter's "ghost of mars" (this is is pretty much a blood bath film with loud music.. so it may not be everyone's cup o'tea)
night of the living dead (1990's version)
try some of those 8films to die for, and tales from the dark side, all kinda corney horror fun
If you dig films from other countries i suggest REC it is the film that inspired quarentine.
Drag me to hell was funny but also kinda scary and dark creepy.
pontypool is another good survival horro i found it very refreshing and fun, try not to read anything about it till after you watching it. all you need to know is its a zombie movie that is a bit different from other zombie movies.
Re-animator and the old wiccer man NOT the nicolas cage one.

there are many more but this is a good start

Reactions: Claridon
so many great movies picked. I'm a big fan of horror movies. Recently, I've been looking at some of the older British ones...The Devil Rides Out with Christopher Lee is a fun one.