Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize

Pres. Obama: Do you think he should've won the Nobel Peace Prize?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Maybe, when he's accomplished more

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 51.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Damn the illumaniti!!!! :m140:

I don't usually like to go into politics (too much potential for misunderstanding !!!), but I was really intrigued by some of the responses in this thread and around the internet in general about the Nobel prize issue.

I have never seen anything else like this in politics. Why does Obama generate such a strong, powerful reaction in people (both good and bad)?

He really is the epitome of a "love it or hate it" phenomenon; there seems to be no in-between where Obama is concerned.

Not even Bush, who was universally despised, generated such strong emotional responses in people like Obama does. It's as if any issue involving Obama is personalized to such a point, that it becomes more than just about politics, but an existential issue. I just find this situation intriguing from a sociological point of view, and if it says anything about human nature.

The only explanatory analogy I can think of now is this: The higher you set something up, the greater the height from which it can fall.

In this sense, Obama's supporters are the cause of this polarity for they have heaped up so many positives unto him, that those on the other side feel that they need an equal amount of fervor to dismantle that Messiah image.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pristinegirl
I don't usually like to go into politics (too much potential for misunderstanding !!!), but I was really intrigued by some of the responses in this thread and around the internet in general about the Nobel prize issue.

I have never seen anything else like this in politics. Why does Obama generate such a strong, powerful reaction in people (both good and bad)?

He really is the epitome of a "love it or hate it" phenomenon; there seems to be no in-between where Obama is concerned.

Not even Bush, who was universally despised, generated such strong emotional responses in people like Obama does. It's as if any issue involving Obama is personalized to such a point, that it becomes more than just about politics, but an existential issue. I just find this situation intriguing from a sociological point of view, and if it says anything about human nature.

The only explanatory analogy I can think of now is this: The higher you set something up, the greater the height from which it can fall.

In this sense, Obama's supporters are the cause of this polarity for they have heaped up so many positives unto him, that those on the other side feel that they need an equal amount of fervor to dismantle that Messiah image.

Great response.

Awards in all areas are not only unnecessary, but counter-productive. Many people reject them.

Currently, it is seen in great symbols of the 20th century like the Nobel prize for literature, or even the Oscars. They become corrupt by political / economical interests. The literature that is awarded recently is more like political journalism, getting the support of powerful countries.

I am sure that most (or all) of the awards as we know them won't even exist after a few decades. The goals of today are too complex to be evaluated, unlike the goals in Ancient Greece, for example, when the Olympic Movement was truly relevant.

So I'm not surprised by any new information about mismatched awards. It's obviously too early for Obama to be considered.

As an example of the negative effect of awards (and their artificial value that is supposed to motivate people), you may check articles about Grisha Perelman (INFJ), called by some "the smartest man alive of the 21st century", who refused 1$ million, and the Nobel equivalent in math.
how do you think he should use the opportunities given to him as an awardee?
His only important achievement so far is becoming the first black president of USA. I think this award is supposed to give him moral support to continue his work on removing outdated prejudices that poison society. I'm not sure that was the right way to support him though.

Last edited:
Al Gore deserved it more than Obama, not to say he really deserved it. I was going through the list of people who got it though and I guess this makes as much sense as any of them.

Edit: Still freaks me out though.

Last edited:
I was a bit confused when I heard the news this morning.

My first question was: Why?

Not that Obama is terrible or anything, but he hasn't really done all that much yet. What is the criteria?

"Oh that Obama guy...he's not Bush...and he's got a nice smile. Peace Prize ahoy!"

It was very random, in my opinion.

Self-confessed Obama fan here, but I have to admit that I believe this award is a little disturbing. It's a big confidence vote to what he could do over the next seven years and little more. Sure, he speaks well. He could become one of the great orators of all time. But best presidents of all time? It's way too early for that.

I was a bit confused when I heard the news this morning.

My first question was: Why?

Not that Obama is terrible or anything, but he hasn't really done all that much yet. What is the criteria?

"Oh that Obama guy...he's not Bush...and he's got a nice smile. Peace Prize ahoy!"

It was very random, in my opinion.

The "Messiah" thing also is a bit too far as well.

I want to like him but I still feel unsure about it.
The man knows how to talk and what the people want to hear..

Youth is easily deceived, because it is quick to hope.
- Aristotle

My boy Aristotle said this back in the day about youth... Now he would say the same is true for my countrymen... Only history will tell what this hope BS is really made of but my unbridled enthusiasm and optimism for it is clear... Right I mean I hope its clear...

Youth is easily deceived, because it is quick to hope.
- Aristotle

My boy Aristotle said this back in the day about youth... Now he would say the same is true for my countrymen... Only history will tell what this hope BS is really made of but my unbridled enthusiasm and optimism for it is clear... Right I mean I hope its clear...

It is clear! =) Aristotle was very wise and the saying is true.
I am very hopeful and Obamas visions are GREAT but maybe too great somehow... something about it just gives me a bad hunch.

Peace prize? The world is more unstable now that he is president! War will break out somewhere and then what will we think of his peace prize? I always believed that the prize should be for science only or some type of humanitarianism. It makes him look very suspect to me. Especially since he just lost the Olympics...

The US does not deserve the olympics, and they never had it, to lose it.

Sorry I never assumed we had it. And I am glad we lost. We will be losing more things in the future...

It's because the US Olympics Committee likes to take a huge chunk of the funds, the International Olympics Committee gets pissed off and denies them the Olympics.

Also, that money should be spent on infrastructure, rather than the Olympics. Chicago has public programs being shut down so they can raise the money for it... They didn't hold the Olympics in WW1 or WW2, they shouldn't hold them now, money is definitely needed elsewhere. Benefiting millions of Americans.

Ha Ha benefiting Americans oh shai you jest! Our government no longer benefits us oh no it helps it's self now.