Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize

Pres. Obama: Do you think he should've won the Nobel Peace Prize?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Maybe, when he's accomplished more

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 51.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ok fine :p

Used to be farse at some point though.

I don't think farce was the word I was looking for, but my vocabulary is limited.

Here's a portion of the first part of the President's acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize:

I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee. Let me be clear: I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace. But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build -- a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press...e-President-on-Winning-the-Nobel-Peace-Prize/

Oh god, can you change your avatar?

It's just so, ugh

Last edited:
Here's a portion of the first part of the President's acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize:

I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee. Let me be clear: I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace. But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build -- a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press...e-President-on-Winning-the-Nobel-Peace-Prize/

That's a very gracious and humble acceptance speech on Obama's part, I must say.

Eloquent as always.

This has always been the thing that has bothered me about him. He is so eloquent, more so then nearly every other person ever to hold political office, or almost anyone else I have ever met or heard of. He's so eloquent to the point that it seems distrustful and dishonest (it's akin to a "its too real to be real" effect). I don't know whether to believe what he is saying, and take it at face value. Or, if this is just a facade he is putting on to hide how he really is and how he really thinks/feels about something. What he says here is no exception to this for me.

Eloquent as always.

This has always been the thing that has bothered me about him. He is so eloquent, more so then nearly every other person ever to hold political office, or almost anyone else I have ever met or heard of. He's so eloquent to the point that it seems distrustful and dishonest (it's akin to a "its too real to be real" effect). I don't know whether to believe what he is saying, and take it at face value. Or, if this is just a facade he is putting on to hide how he really is and how he really thinks/feels about something. What he says here is no exception to this for me.

Politics is based on rhetoric. Would you believe Churchill?

I actually prefer this kind of speech. Although these things are written by Aides and speech writers it makes me feel secure in the idea that someone intelligient is leading. (as opposed to... ;-))

I want to like him but I still feel unsure about it.
The man knows how to talk and what the people want to hear..

Feel like I'm sticking up for a man I know nothing about here! I'll shut up in a minute! But he has actually pushed ahead on some VERY risky policies when it comes to public opinion. Healthcare good example. Politicians ALWAYS tell you it in a way you'd rather hear it, it's all spin in the end, but he hasn't been afraid to say promise some controversial changes.

Yeah... But that's not what he's doing.

It's like you're intimating that what he's doing is actually helping those nations.

Yeah, because staying there has shown to cause great stability.

They are not there to make peace, war is business and business is good

Do you think it would be better for the nations if we left immediately? Or are you saying that we should stick around but try different approaches...?

I say stick around, but move the army OUT.

Let them know that you're moving civilian contractors in, who'll work alongside native contractors, but the first American civilian to die, means the entire workforce leaves.

Move the army out before moving the contractors in.

That's how you rebuild without pissing them off. Gradually you move the Americans out to be replaced with native contractors, and all the while the US Government pays the Iraqi/Afghan contractors as a part of the reparations.

Hearts and Minds.

Because it's fucking obvious that by the balls means creating more enemies for your children's generation.

Let them know that you're moving civilian contractors in, who'll work alongside native contractors, but the first American civilian to die, means the entire workforce leaves.
That would take about 24 hours.

Extremist groups don't just want American troops out. They want Americans dead, and they want Islamic law to dominate, not some western-friendly democratic government.

And I completely agreed with the decision. However, these aren't the kinds of decisions that earn someone a Nobel Peace Prize. That's all I'm saying.

He obviously didn't earn the prize because of that decision. He earned it because of other, unrelated decisions and ambitions. I don't think that situation (which he had no part in initiating, and little control over) should affect his candidacy for the prize any more than Woodrow Wilson's involvement in the First World War should have affected his.

Eloquent as always.

You're seeing the mask of an INTP. ;-)

The Norwegian Nobel Committee members are appointed by the Norwegian parliment, and they often choose their own politicians to join the committee. So... yeah, figures.

Still, I am this angry::m140:

Whether or not you believe he is deserving of the award, how do you think he should use the opportunities given to him as an awardee?

I don't think that the reward will give him any more opportunities than being the President of the United States. I think the prize was awarded for political reasons, and if this is true then I don't agree with the decision that was made.

That would take about 24 hours.

Extremist groups don't just want American troops out. They want Americans dead, and they want Islamic law to dominate, not some western-friendly democratic government.

He obviously didn't earn the prize because of that decision. He earned it because of other, unrelated decisions and ambitions. I don't think that situation (which he had no part in initiating, and little control over) should affect his candidacy for the prize any more than Woodrow Wilson's involvement in the First World War should have affected his.
Extremist groups want to destroy gog and magog and fortify israel so that jesus can come again and purge the world of the sinners, heathens and fornicators.

:m140: the news I discovered in this thread kind of killed my good mood. I feel that the Peace prize should only be awarded to those who have actually done something to attain peace. The key part of that sentence is that its in the PAST tense. it would be better to give it to one posthumously than preemptively.

Also, isn't the moon considered the heritage of human kind, meaning it is equally everyone's? what right does NASA have to bomb MY moon? I have no problem with people exploring it, but they can not actively change it, especially in a way that I'd notice. The article said that the new crater would be visible from Earth. I mean, at LEAST bomb the far side of the moon.