12 Signs Of An Unhealthy, Underdeveloped INFJ | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

12 Signs Of An Unhealthy, Underdeveloped INFJ

This is for you, @Misadventure

SIGNS OF AN UNHEALTHY INFP
By a previously unhealthy INFP

This could be an INFP in the loop, the grip, just underdeveloped, with a mental illness, any of the above. Unfortunately, INFPs are prone to a lot of these things, so many INFPs may relate.

• Highly antisocial
  • On that note, a lack of security in relationships
  • Extreme procrastination
  • Procrastination is normal for INFPs (even if it’s not the best habit)
  • But if it gets to the point where it’s super overwhelming, it’s probably unhealthy
  • Extreme self-doubt
  • Lack of interest/passion in anything
  • Deadened emotions
  • Catering to others, inability to stand up for self (even when you want to)
  • Stuck in the past
  • Dislike of/disinterest in creative outlets
  • Extreme negativity- truly happy, healthy INFPs are idealists at heart. While it’s easy to get sucked into all the horrible things about the world, healthy INFPs can draw themselves out of it
  • Idealizing people to extremes
  • Analytical/argumentative disposition
  • (particularly if it’s not well done/supported)
source: http://intruitive.tumblr.com/post/162803706844/signs-of-an-unhealthy-infp

L
uckily, I don't think you sound like any of this.
(Let me clarify due to lack of tone on the internet, that I meant this as a lighthearted post, but it's also pretty helpful.)

5 and 12 I’ve always struggled with, but have gotten better in my older age.

This is basically me. All of those 12 signs. :neutral:

No wonder I feel crap.

by the standards above I would be the first to admit that perhaps I might be unhealthy. The product of many unhealthy toxic relationships including childhood, I am extremely private, especially with my feelings. And though I have the urge to tell people sometimes how I am feeling I don't. I do have a therapist I see, well I have seen several, they seem incapable of coping with my pain once I do let it out. And even then it's after months of skirting around before I even come close to letting them in closer, have to peel off so many layers of the onion. I've already decided the therapist I'm seeing now will be of no use, he won't be able to handle it either after spending a year with him. So I'm like that song by Kansas, I relate my feelings to songs when I think about my emotional state the line comes to mind, "On a stormy sea of moving emotion, tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean". but the battle lately has been to keep the INFJ Rage monster inside, if people only knew that the seemingly passive person sitting next to them with the calm features was instead a seething boiling magma chamber of destruction. So yeah, I would say I'm a bit unhealthy

Oh, wow. I'd say your first job is to get rid of the anger. Anger is unhealthy for INFJ. Is your rage based on some inviolable principle? If so that would be Fi driving you to internalize your morals and defend your feelings.

Blake on Stellarmaze.com theorizes that every auxiliary function has a shadow "id" function using the different orientation. For Fe, that would be Fi. It is called "id" because it is primitive and hard to control or master, like the instinctive response from the primitive part of the brain.

In other words, for an INTJ, using Fi instead of Fe is dangerous. To put it plainly, when INFJS define their principles too rigidly and hold onto them too strongly, they create conflict and anger. Only by finding a way to "let go and flow" will we empty out that toxic anger. How to do this depends on you, as an individual, figuring out a way to be authentic but easygoing at the same time. That kind of paradox is what makes life hard for INFJs and why it is no picnic to be among this rare type.

robert: I totally understand the Rage Monster, by the way. I rage often, and alone, when I am upset. The only cure is what I've said, above.

your first job is to get rid of the anger

You have to be careful with wording here. Suppressing anger is not the way to go.

Only by finding a way to "let go and flow" will we empty out that toxic anger.

Yup

authentic but easygoing

I don't think "easygoing" is exactly the right way of putting it. Again it's more to your original thought about finding more of a way of flowing.

It's tricky, very tricky. It's more like walking on a razor's edge than just embodying an easygoing mentality.
There is an element of natural strength within it when done appropriately.
You're gonna fall off a lot, and that's ok.

You have to be careful with wording here. Suppressing anger is not the way to go.

I surely did not mean "suppress." The pressure must be let out. But how? For me: I need time to think things through before I react, and it works best for me to be alone while I do this. Otherwise, I am apt to spill my emotions and have poor results.

I don't think "easygoing" is exactly the right way of putting it. Again it's more to your original thought about finding more of a way of flowing.

Right. It's not "la-de-dah-whatever," it involves a GREAT DEAL of awareness of the people around you, paying attention, steering calmly through the rapids.[/QUOTE]

It's tricky, very tricky. It's more like walking on a razor's edge than just embodying an easygoing mentality. There is an element of natural strength within it when done appropriately. You're gonna fall off a lot, and that's ok.

So, yeah. I liked your description. Difficult because you are also monitoring your own tone of voice, body language, and word choices. You are consciously screening out negative thoughts, conveying positive attitude. It requires a lot of strength, but this is a beautiful, invisible strength, not an egotistical use of power.

Failure is inevitable, but if you feel things turning in the wrong direction, excuse yourself before it gets worse, let everyone decompress, and go back in fresh, later.

Original here: https://introvertdear.com/news/infj-unhealthy-underdeveloped-signs/
When u have no experience in life this tends to be the rule ..the only one left off for me is we barely let anybody in....that's a huge one .still working everyday on that one .still like the self soon profecy it feels at times .
Generally, INFJs are warm, caring people who are deeply sensitive to the needs of others. If you get them talking honestly about their life’s purpose, they will probably tell you that they have always felt they were placed on this planet to use their insights to help others and make the world a better place. It’s speculated that Nelson Mandela, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King, Jr. were INFJs — no wonder this personality type has been nicknamed “the counselor” and “the advocate.”

However, just like with any other personality type, maturity goes a long way. A healthy, balanced INFJ is going to look a lot different than an INFJ who is unhealthy and underdeveloped as a person. So, here are 12 signs that an INFJ may be unhealthy:

1. They let other people walk all over them. They don’t have strong boundaries that protect them from others taking advantage of them. Babysit your kids all day for the third weekend in a row? Sure, they’ll do it — even though it means they have to cancel their own plans. Meet you at that sushi restaurant, again, even though the thought of a spicy tuna roll makes their stomach turn? Unhealthy INFJs never want to disappoint.

2. They bend over backwards trying to make everyone around them happy. They live to people-please. Generally, INFJs are generous people who gain immense satisfaction from making others happy. This is an admirable quality, and it’s okay for INFJs to do this to some extent. However, unhealthy INFJs constantly put other people’s needs ahead of their own, to the degree that they become exhausted, unhappy, and disconnected from their own sense of self.

3. Everything they do has to be perfect. At work, they read an email six times before sending it to make sure there are no mistakes and that the tone is just right. In school, they spend much longer on projects or papers than other students do — they can’t live with anything less than an “A.” An unhealthy INFJ’s self-esteem is inherently tied to how well they perform on any given task. They figure that if they do everything perfectly, no one will have a reason to criticize or dislike them.

4. They door slam too easily and hold grudges. The door slam can be a healthy mechanism that protects INFJs from toxic people, and at times, it is necessary. However, underdeveloped INFJs will slam the door on important relationships — their spouse, close friend, or parent — without first trying to resolve the root issue. Instead of being a last resort, the door slam becomes the first and foremost way of dealing with any issue that pops up in a relationship.

5. They have yet to master the art of saying “no.” They irrationally fear that their friend will hate them if they turn down the party invitation. They worry that their boss will fire them if they say they can’t work overtime.

6. They let toxic people, narcissists, and other emotionally needy people run their lives. INFJs have a light that burns brightly — which, unfortunately, can attract people who will take advantage of them. Unhealthy INFJs will make excuses for other people’s toxic behavior. (“He was raised in a broken family, so he doesn’t know better — that’s why he hurts me.”) In fact, due to their inherent desire to help people, INFJs may find themselves unconsciously dating or befriending toxic people in order to “save” them. This usually results in the INFJ drowning in the other person’s noxious mess.

7. They become so involved with other people’s problems that they can’t focus on their own. Likewise, they become so bogged down with other people’s emotions that their day is constantly ruined because someone else is having a bad day.

8. They rarely let anyone in. Private by nature, INFJs tend to open up slowly to others — and that’s okay. However, this tendency can become a problem when INFJs won’t reveal themselves to anyone (not even a significant other, best friend, or close family member). Unhealthy INFJs rarely share their true thoughts and feelings with others because they fear being judged. However, when they close themselves off, they are likely to become lonely and depressed. INFJs, just like any other personality type, need strong relationships to be at their best.

9. They put their type on a pedestal. They become so carried away with the fact that they are the rarest personality type that they start believing they are superior to other types.

10. They use their personality type as an excuse to continue unhealthy behaviors. They believe they can’t change themselves or their lives for the better because of their four letters.

11. They don’t let their emotions speak. INFJs are not emotional in the sense that they weep loudly in public or hug everyone they meet. On the contrary, INFJs tend to keep their feelings to themselves and may dislike strong outward displays of emotion (these displays can feel manipulative to INFJs). This may lead INFJs to suppress their emotional side. Of course, there must be balance — INFJs shouldn’t live at the whims of their feelings. But, mature INFJs recognize that they are indeed emotional creatures, and that they can live their best life when they tune into their emotions — and respect and protect them.

12. They are extremely passive. INFJs are natural observers; they love sitting back, analyzing, and reflecting. They’re also pretty chill in groups/relationships, and they’re usually fine with letting other people have their way. However, these tendencies can lead them to be too passive. Unhealthy INFJs let other people make all the decisions for them. (“What do you want to do tonight?” “Whatever you want to do is fine!”) That way, they can’t make a “wrong” decision. These INFJs may lack a sense of control over their circumstances. Life is something that happens to them.

What causes an INFJ to be unhealthy? A number of things. Some INFJs have not had enough life experiences, so they have a very narrow perspective. Other INFJs have simply not invested much effort into developing themselves. Still others are “unhealthy” through no fault of their own — they learned unhealthy behaviors and coping mechanisms from their parents, or suffered emotional abuse at the hand of a close friend or partner.

0c3a2b0f22037a737bf2c9a3841cfb11.jpg

Reactions: Sandie33
Thread is too easy. Yes, those are all symptoms, but not causes

My number one issue with INFJs forever and always will be their insistence on being sensitive, kind and or tactful with everything dealing with everyone else; yet, through their words and actions, they create hostility and cruelty

Like they can’t hold themselves to the standard they expect. It’s inauthentic, frankly

It’s a product of their function stack in my opinion...

Ni is very sensitive and picks up impressions and insights in the moment to form what is perceived as truth (although it can be faulty more on that later)

Fe filters and feels what is positive and negative and tries to express it in a way that promotes universal harmony

Ti analyzes it all to validate or understand it after the fact regardless of what they’ve picked up is accurate or not

Se is a forceful expression of control of the world except it’s their weak function so it comes off as unassertive or inhibited by Fe or the need for universal harmony

I know the world can be overwhelming for them to which I can be very emphatic towards

I just don’t like when they can’t stop themselves from doing the same things they seem to dislike

My number one issue with INFJs forever and always will be their insistence on being sensitive, kind and or tactful with everything dealing with everyone else; yet, through their words and actions, they create hostility and cruelty
It's not nice to lump every INFJ into the same tote.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
Maybe a bit generalized, but I have to say, in my experience, it’s like 50% with this type. Or in other words, it has the highest propensity to act this way. I’ve known double digit INFJs IRL. Almost a lock if you’re dating them. The percentage goes up to like 80%

I’d also say this is the only type I’ve experienced this with, so I have slapped a label fair or unfair

Last edited:
I’m going to start calling the door slam the door sham

And I even though I acknowledge this as “beef”, I would never hold this against them in a way that I consider breaking a bond or connection

Although, I do see how I act can alienate them sometimes, and that doesn’t seem to help either

So, this is my conundrum with INFJs

I don’t know how to be close to them because, for me, I need to have bluntness without knowing and trusting it will pass without having to stop a connection

And not bluntness to be mean. It’s usually to get to truth or an idea and or just how I express myself. It’s almost like they can’t just assume good intentions. We can’t just always be nice because hard conversations are a part of life. Conflict is inevitable

I don’t like having to walk on eggshells

So help me if you can!

Reactions: Impact Character
And I even though I acknowledge this as “beef”, I would never hold this against them in a way that I consider breaking a bond or connection

Although, I do see how I act can alienate them sometimes, and that doesn’t seem to help either

So, this is my conundrum with INFJs

I don’t know how to be close to them because, for me, I need to have bluntness without knowing and trusting it will pass without having to stop a connection

And not bluntness to be mean. It’s usually to get to truth or an idea and or just how I express myself. It’s almost like they can’t just assume good intentions. We can’t just always be nice because hard conversations are a part of life. Conflict is inevitable

I don’t like having to walk on eggshells

So help me if you can!

Hmh. Did you try "announcing" that you are going to be blunt? I think that might do the trick, because the other person can switch gears and kind of synchronize on Ti.

And also I was wondering if you might be a Ti-Si INTP, could that be? I believe you mentioned sometime how you feel towards Ne and that you might get along better with ISFJs, right?

Hmh. Did you try "announcing" that you are going to be blunt? I think that might do the trick, because the other person can switch gears and kind of synchronize on Ti.

And also I was wondering if you might be a Ti-Si INTP, could that be? I believe you mentioned sometime how you feel towards Ne and that you might get along better with ISFJs, right?

I feel like announcing bluntness is walking on eggshells in a way. And saying you’re going to be blunt doesn’t change how someone might feel about the act or how they feel afterwards

I love Ne A LOT. I was married to an ISFJ. We did get along, but I don’t think it’s the way you’re suggesting. She is just a nice, good person for the most part. And because of Si, she is rather straightforward which can make some things easy. I didn’t like our conversations as much as with INFJs. And she would also say that I needed someone more willing to go on meandering intellectual tangents with. Like I think she wishes she could, but she couldn’t sort of thing. Also, she seemed to be able to handle criticism way better than I’ve seen INFJs. ISFJs can be pretty accepting people. I’ve never seen her door slam something

Reactions: Impact Character
Intellectualism, abstraction and creativity are so important to an INTP you have no idea

All things ISFJs can struggle with

I feel like announcing bluntness is walking on eggshells in a way. And saying you’re going to be blunt doesn’t change how someone might feel about the act or how they feel afterwards

I love Ne A LOT. I was married to an ISFJ. We did get along, but I don’t think it’s the way you’re suggesting. She is just a nice, good person for the most part. And because of Si, she is rather straightforward which can make some things easy. I didn’t like our conversations as much as with INFJs. And she would also say that I needed someone more willing to go on meandering intellectual tangents with. Like I think she wishes she could, but she couldn’t sort of thing. Also, she seemed to be able to handle criticism way better than I’ve seen INFJs. ISFJs can be pretty accepting people. I’ve never seen her door slam something

Ah, okay. Well, I might have skipped something there and filled in the blanks. Conversations surely are more interesting among intuitives (not "better", just more fitting, if you know what I mean). At least this is the case for my SO (INTP) and me.

Well, give it a try or not. You might as well find your very own way of that announcing bluntness idea. Overall, it doesn't only depend on cognitive preferences but also on personality and experience/habit how people react and deal with certain things.
Or your personal answer lies in patience, who knows..

:)

Reactions: ClevelandINTP