What is the sickest or most in pain you have ever been? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is the sickest or most in pain you have ever been?

The most pain I've ever endured was either when I had 7 teeth pulled with a wisdom tooth, the numbing only lasted through the wisdom tooth....
-or-
I don't really Remember how old I was but, I wrecked my ATV, breaking a few of the bones in my hand, my nose, and ripping part of my ear off, and a lot of scratches...

i had a Scoliosis operation when i was about 15 where i had a titanium rod fused to my spine. after the op a junior doctor got my morphine dose wrong, and i died.

luckly for me then jabed me in the heart with a needle filled with adrenaline which woke me up, the next few hours i was tripping out can't remeber that much of it, but i know it wasn't nice, this all happened maybe a day after the op, so because they couldn't give me any more morphine i was put into a comma for a bit.

then there's the whole recovery after op stuff where because i was in bed for about 4 months all my leg muscles are gone so have to basicly learn how to walk again :(

tho though all that the worst part is when they have to pull something called a chest drain out. it a tube maybe about 1cm diameter, now normally this isn't a problem give the patient some morphine, and its done.

but wait i can't have any morphine plus because they have being mucking around with my spine they need to know if my nerves work ok. so pain killers for me. and its a bloody long tube :(

Worst pain

The worst pain I had was when I had a burst appendix. I felt like I was getting stabbed and the knife keeps twisting at my abdomen. Couldn't eat, walk straight and had major headache. Went to the emergency room and as soon as they hooked me onto some morphine I could relax. Had emergency surgery the next morning.:m100:

I don't know what the worst pain that I have ever been in is; I think I would have to categorize them.

Mental pain: The worst was a particularly dark period when I would feel completely empty, often laying around for long periods of time unable to really think because it all hurt so much. I would sometimes hit my head against something repeatedly or some similar activity just to feel something. It was basically a psychological breakdown.

Physical pain: The worst physical pain I had I think when I was little, but I can't remember it very well. I was riding my bike and I fell about (I'm going to guess) 8 feet onto a bed of sharp rocks on my back.
Another possibility was when I passed out and went temporarily blind, which made me freak out in addition to the excruciating pain. I cried.

There are many other possibilities. I guess there are different kinds of pain, so I can't really say what the worst time is. I've never been through anything incredibly painful, which I'm thankful for.

Sickest?
As part of my training I had to live with an older supervisor while on a posting. It started out all right, but the fat bastard was addicted to phsychological bullying. I was put through every nasty s*** imaginable - humiliations in front of peer reviews, accusations of duty abandonment, inferrences that I was some sort of lewd f*** were bandied about, my priveledges were taken away, and situations were engineered so that I could almost never have any time off. On top of that, anyone who would say something in my favour would start getting the same treatment.

That whole year I got really physically sick, started smoking (I had previously only smoked a tobacco pipe on Saturday afternoons), I lost about 20kg (about 44 pounds) - about 3/10 - of my body weight, would get a nerveous rash and lost contact with everyone I cared about. I gave up my hobbies, stopped exercising, stopped playing the piano and couldn't sleep. I started to believe the bad things that were being said/implied about me. I wanted to walk away from everything, but if I had, I would have had absolutely nothing I cared about left - so I stayed for the sake of the people I was doing this for... anyhow, that was the worst time/year of my life, when I was the sickest.

Postscript, thankfully, I am back to my usual quiet self (no smoking either), in a much better assignment.

In some strange way, if I had the opportunity to go back and change things, I don't think I would.

Last edited:
I had my spine fused together. Funny thing is my story is very similar to Deathjam's. They had to remove a rib to use the bone for my spine, and well I had about ten staples in my side. They used these huge bolt cutter looking things and every single one they snipped was the most agonizing thing ever. They told me to hold my breath each time and I think it was just so I wouldn't scream bloody murder. Also they removed a tube from my neck which traveled down to my heart which still gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

The sickest I've been was when I almost died of a fever. I was rushed to the hospital and they put me in an ice bath. It's all very hazy, I was WAY out of it and sort of going in and out of conciousness. I honestly don't know what they did to get me better, but I was fine the next day.

I think my worst was when I was 14. I was working on a farm to make my board and room as my dad died whan I was 11 and my mom had terminal cancer - her pain was the worst I have ever seen and that was by far worse than anything that has yet to happen to me, but I did get run over by a self-propelled huge combine that fall. I actually got up and walked over to a pickup and thought I was ok, but they took me to the hospital. On the way there, I realized that I wasn't breathing and I was sure I was dying, but I caught my breath again and thought I was ok again. Once in the hospital, I passed out and didn't wake up for two weeks. True story, and when I woke up, this nurses aid was givng me a sponge bath, and I actually really thought I had died and that she was an Angel.

O yeah and a few months ago I wiped out on a scooter and broke two ribs and my shoulder - that wasn't so pretty either. The psychological pain of watching my mom emaciate is still by far the worst I've ever bee through though.

Last edited:
I feel that I have to mention 3 times:

1. I had extreme fever and tonsillitis, which had me shiver and hypersensitive to touch (it would literally tickle and hurt).
  2. Also when I was younger I used to have chronic inflammation of the ear, which had me in pain constantly.
  3. The flu was also horrible for me.

1. Childbirth
2. My first hangover
3. Food Poisoning/Stomach Flu... We're still not sure which it was.

After reading everyone else s stories I am going to count my blessings that none of my pain has been as bad as some of the posts I have read today. God bless you guys!!

Must admit I agree with efromm. Being a nurse I see all kinds of suffering most people can't even imagine, that my own pain seems insignificant in comparison.

That said...
1) Childbirth. x 3.
2) Broke ankle in forest. Sprained other ankle on the trail back to the car.
3) Abdominal muscle wall spasm lasting 15 minutes.

I had fake acrylic nails on and went to reach for my laundry basket. My basket cliped the nail of my acrylic and ripped both the fake and real nail off! I thought I was in hell!

I miscarried my first child and the pain came out of nowhere. Its intensity was shocking, horrible and took my breath away. By the time the ambulance got me to the hospital the pain was over but the grief began. A very sad time.

Oh, sumone! I'm so sorry! :( My heart aches for what you must have gone through.

Sickest?
As part of my training I had to live with an older supervisor while on a posting. It started out all right, but the fat bastard was addicted to phsychological bullying. I was put through every nasty s*** imaginable - humiliations in front of peer reviews, accusations of duty abandonment, inferrences that I was some sort of lewd f*** were bandied about, my priveledges were taken away, and situations were engineered so that I could almost never have any time off. On top of that, anyone who would say something in my favour would start getting the same treatment.

That whole year I got really physically sick, started smoking (I had previously only smoked a tobacco pipe on Saturday afternoons), I lost about 20kg (about 44 pounds) - about 3/10 - of my body weight, would get a nerveous rash and lost contact with everyone I cared about. I gave up my hobbies, stopped exercising, stopped playing the piano and couldn't sleep. I started to believe the bad things that were being said/implied about me. I wanted to walk away from everything, but if I had, I would have had absolutely nothing I cared about left - so I stayed for the sake of the people I was doing this for... anyhow, that was the worst time/year of my life, when I was the sickest.

Postscript, thankfully, I am back to my usual quiet self (no smoking either), in a much better assignment.

In some strange way, if I had the opportunity to go back and change things, I don't think I would.

Flavus, what a horrible experience! I'm glad you made it through, though.

Myself, I think the worst I ever had was a migrane and the flu. I'm very fortunate.

For me, I think it's when I get my really bad migraines. It hurts worse than my tooth extraction ever did (three hours in a dental chair with Novocaine that kept wearing off...long story). If I don't catch it soon enough it hurts so bad that I can't even cry. It hurts too bad to cry. It hurts to move, blink, or hear. My five senses hurt. The pain is sharp, it's intense, and it's in one place. And I feel it each time blood is pumped into my left temple.

I heard one person describe their migraines as if the Alien is coming out of their skull. I think that's about right. At my worst I couldn't even make coherent sentences and everyone was a blurry hue. That was my very worst migraine; fortunately the others are mild to moderate as long as I sleep enough.

Last edited:
Broke my upper central incisor in half as a kid late one evening. The dentist drilled both nerves out and placed two pins in the tooth. Then he built the half-tooth back. I actually felt no pain after a few moments of the pain. I quit fighting and do not recall feeling anything else. Said if he gave me a shot he might not get all the nerves drilled out. It was an amazing thing for me to feel such pain that my mind I think blocked it out.

The worst pain I have ever had was the nerve damage to my left pudendal nerve. The result was intense nerve pain, hot like fire was burning me, simultaneous cold like I was being frozen to death, kind of like when you just bang your funny bone, but more intense. It was rippling pain that spread out and caused all the muscles to jerk and spasm randomly. Most of my pelvis became rigid. This pain was largely in my genitals and rectum. My bladder shut down and I had to limit fluid intake for about 5 months. The pain stuck around for about a year and a half before the nerve healed, then the pain faded away after another six months.

Last edited:
I almost cried reading this thread. I want to hug you all so much right now. wow

So like dragon I have to separate my pain into mental and physical.

Mental- High school I was so emotionally and mentally dead I wanted to die because I couldn't think. My mind was a black and blank scary place. I felt little to nothing. I couldn't care I couldn't find a reason to live.

When my Step Father died. I went physically numb. I've never felt this numb before. I remember hitting myself in the shower. Just to feel pain. I remember wanting to feel something anything so bad.

my physical pain can't compare to most others. But when I hurt my shoulder, I think I stretched the joint or mildly dislocated my shoulder. It hurt so bad in area where your shoulder is nearest to your spin and on my breast bone area. What worse is it doesn't go away. It comes back sometimes. This is made worse by the pinched nevers in my neck.

Aug. 2, 2001 , had right submandibular gland cut out of my neck closer to my throat, spit stones had formed from the lower down submandibular gland, you have 2 of them, one on the left one on the right, you also have parotid gland above them, 2 each of them, one left, one right.

Previous to this in June 2001 I had trouble swallowing, food drink, and around meal time is the worst. Some people develop calcium phosphate particulates and they form stones in the salivary glands, just like some people form kidney stones in the kidneys, its sort of the same concept.

I went to the emergency room one night in June, they put me into a Cat Scan, one doctor there said, you have spit stones, and recommended an ear,nose,throat doctor, I went the next week.The dumb ass said drink lemon juice and they will pass, I knew they were not going to pass because I had done that. I found an ear,nose,throat doctor that actually taught other ear,nose,throat doctors at Emery University in Atlanta. He looked at the Cat Scan and said "yes...right there, pointed at them on the film and scheduled me for surgery the next week.

Now the real pain came after surgery. My right side of my throat swelled as if I had a softball embedded in my throat. On top of this I lived in Georgia at the time and that Summer there was a heatwave on the entire eastern U.S., and I was trying to recover during the peak of the heatwave, it took me 3 weeks to be free from pain.No pain pills phased the pain, doctors have been getting where they won't even give prescription pain medicine after major surgeries, and this practice has been going on for at least 10 years, but that's another issue altogether.

There are cases where spit stones come back, but I occasionally have dry mouth but most of the time not. The Summer of 2001 was one of the worst times I ever went through with pain.

Reactions: TinyBubbles
Haven't dealt with anything that bad in terms of pain.

As far as sickness, OD. Wasn't even anything hard, but anyway...

I had nothing left but to will my heart to keep beating and force myself as best I could to remain conscious in order to keep breathing. I was too ashamed to notify anyone in order to seek proper care. The extremities were all going numb due to lack of circulation. No palpable pulse. Hallucinations including voices and visual sparks due to lack of oxygen to the brain. Cold, clammy and consumed by dizziness and nausea, barely able to crawl to the kitchen to get water. A terrible feeling, and thankfully many years behind.

Reactions: Wyote