What is the sickest or most in pain you have ever been? | INFJ Forum

What is the sickest or most in pain you have ever been?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
When I was a little kid, I once had a flu that was so bad that I couldn't even keep down water for 2 days. I was so dehydrated and my fever was so high, that it seemed like I was going to have to be hospitalized. However, my mom treated me with Yarrow baths to break my fever and an herbal/Gatorade concoction that quieted my stomach enough to keep down fluids. I remember though how agonizing it was to be that sick. I was so fatigued that I couldn't even button up my pants. I think it was probably one of the most horrifying things my mother ever went through as well.

Had Glandular Fever for a few months when I was younger, couldn't eat anything, had no energy, lost a lot of weight and that ended up knocking me around for a couple of years whilst getting back to 'healthy'.

Then there was an evening out during a conference on the Gold Coast, many, many, many, many, many, many Jager-bombs later and a couple of hours sleep I was ready to kill myself... the combination of hangoverness from the Jager mixed with the nevergonnaletyousleepness of the red bull was intolerable. I felt like something had crawled inside of me, mushed up my insides then died. The only thing left to do was ask WHY the hell did I do that to myself?

i stubbed my toe, scrambling for the alarm clock once... i thought i was going to die...

Reactions: slant
I got a case of acute sinusitis last year that left me dry heaving all night . . . my best friend found me dehydrated and delirious the next morning . . . I just barely remember her husband carrying me to the car in my pajamas, and then carrying me into the ER with great presence . . . It was so surreal . . . He's, like, a giant. A huge, ENFP giant.

I miscarried my first child and the pain came out of nowhere. Its intensity was shocking, horrible and took my breath away. By the time the ambulance got me to the hospital the pain was over but the grief began. A very sad time.

A series of panic attacks I've suffered when I was fourteen, the combo of a ridiculous migrane headache, chest pains, an upset stomach, breathing problems, all topped off with the heaping amounts of emotional stress win the honor of being called my sickest moment.

CokeNut said:
Child birth ... that's why I only had one.

Ah, yes, I've heard that passing a kidney stone is about the only experience that can even compare.

I once had a pilonidal cyst.

That's.....umm......this thing: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and- ... ndial-cyst

It was so painful that it kept me up at night. I had to have it drained with a lancet, and the local anesthetic that the surgeon gave me didn't work very well, so I felt everything.

I don't remember.

Damn, I'm in for it.

The worst was child birth because of it's intensity and the many hours that I had to endure to squeeze the kid out. It is also why I only have one. :lol:

The second would be a broken toe. Holy god! The pain was bad enough that I couldn't even talk.

The third would by when a ovarian cyst burst. I nearly passed out.

I seem to have a high pain threshold. I can tell myself it's not all that bad and ignore it for a while but when it is quick and intense it's very hard to ignore it and play mind games with myself.

When I was pregnant I had the worst UTI most of the docs had seen!! I was in the hospital for a week and each subsequent week after that I was in the hospital for excruciating pain even on antibiotics I was in so much pain my whole pregnancy!

The worst was my first Cesarean. I was in labor all day long, then I went to surgery, and then I hemorrhaged and lost a lot of blood. I was pretty messed up for at least a week (and they kept trying to get me to eat beets and liver *yuck*).

The second C-section wasn't so bad, thank goodness.

Just after my fourth birthday I become severely ill with a viral meningitis. I went into a coma for a night but recovered pretty quickly. I remember it vividly.

My mother and I had an influenza when I was 12 that nearly knocked us dead. No vomiting, but fever that could fry eggs in under two minutes.

November of 2005 I nearly bled to death from a burst duodenal ulcer. I had to administer my own nasogastric tube, too. Nightmare.

Hmmm...Funny that childbirths were mentioned. I barely remember the pain from any of mine. The tubal ligation hurt worse than any of the births.

After that it was the wisdom tooth that wouldn't numb. After five shots the dentist beared down and cranked it out of my mouth....NO NUMBING. I was barely able to stay in that chair. If it hadn't been for the nitrus oxide...she wouldn't have gotten past the first tug. Hence the moniker dentisadists.

The worst was acute appendicitis. Started throwing up around 9am....got the kids to their dentist appt (barely). I don't know how I made it home. Couldn't concentrate on the road, no depth perception, at one point I actually tried to call my spouse cause I wasn't sure I could make it. Got home and pretty much left the kids to fend for themselves (woo woo for TV) while I lay semi comatose in my bed. I left a message for hubby to pick up the kids from school cause I wasn't going to be able to do it. I couldn't eat, drink, or even swallow my saliva; everything came back up. They ran three bags of IV fluid in my before they could do any testing or checkups.. GAH! That was the worst experience of my life. Although they gave me a whole bottle of percosets! Post Op sucked too, hubby had to take three days of emergency leave til my Mom could fly in to take over house hold duties for two and a half weeks.

alcyone said:
After that it was the wisdom tooth that wouldn't numb. After five shots the dentist beared down and cranked it out of my mouth....NO NUMBING. I was barely able to stay in that chair. If it hadn't been for the nitrus oxide...she wouldn't have gotten past the first tug. Hence the moniker dentisadists.

I had the same problem when I had a root canal. They dentist shot me up four times before I finally went numb. If he had to do another he said he would have put me out. My god if my dentist even thought he was coming near me without numbing me I would have punched him. :lol:

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled out, I remember I could feel a lot of pain even though I was under, but I just didn't care. :mrgreen:

Strangely enough, I think I prefer the stuff that makes you not give a crap to the stuff that dulls the pain.

Satya said:
When I had my wisdom teeth pulled out, I remember I could feel a lot of pain even though I was under, but I just didn't care. :mrgreen:

Strangely enough, I think I prefer the stuff that makes you not give a crap to the stuff that dulls the pain.

What did they give you? I had the laughing gas with the novocaine....but the gas wasn't enough to keep me from giving a crap when they pulled it out without numbing.

RemoteControl said:
I had the same problem when I had a root canal. They dentist shot me up four times before I finally went numb. If he had to do another he said he would have put me out. My god if my dentist even thought he was coming near me without numbing me I would have punched him. :lol:

I'm not a violent person tho....and I like my dentisadist....when there aren't any teeth to be pulled. Shes the only one I've had since I was a kid that can give me a cleaning without me having to take tylenol later. But most of my sadists were dental school rejects who went into the military to practice.

All I remember from having my wisdom tooth pulled was getting up out of the chair, staggering around and then having a very happy and quick ride home. I'm not sure what they gave me, morphine?

I don't actually remember the most pain...

The sickest ever was self inflicted (I believe), when I spent all night drinking a few bottles of moonshine with a mate and playing Judge Dredd on the PS2, killing all the civilians and zombies... Or when I had pneumonia, I was in hospital with heaps of drips in me, i actually thought i had seen an 80's movie version of live action spiderman... still believe i did.