What do you do (if anything) to exercise. | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

What do you do (if anything) to exercise.

I have been riding a bike almost every day for around a mile or so, and I am noticing it helps.

What I really want to do is join a gym and lift weights. That's gonna be hard to get myself to do (far too emabressing).

What I really want to do is join a gym and lift weights. That's gonna be hard to get myself to do (far too emabressing).

If you're a bit intimidated by the free weights, and especially if you haven't done them before/or in a long time, I would suggest using the machines for a week or two. Nobody has to know how much you're lifting, and it'll give you a chance to build up some strength and get your brain to build/remember those neurological pathways for those new/familiar motions. Form is more important than how much you lift anyway.

Besides, two weeks in, and you're on your way to building a habit.

If you're a bit intimidated by the free weights, and especially if you haven't done them before/or in a long time, I would suggest using the machines for a week or two. Nobody has to know how much you're lifting, and it'll give you a chance to build up some strength and get your brain to build/remember those neurological pathways for those new/familiar motions. Form is more important than how much you lift anyway.

Besides, two weeks in, and you're on your way to building a habit.

Yes I know. For me it's an issue of I don't know what I am doing. I need someone to teach me, and I am embaressed at the thought of that. They have personal trainers here on campus, and I could easily take advantage of that. It is just a matter of actually getting up the courage to do that. I am trying to get one of my friends to kick me in the pants to do it.

Yes I know. For me it's an issue of I don't know what I am doing. I need someone to teach me, and I am embaressed at the thought of that. They have personal trainers here on campus, and I could easily take advantage of that. It is just a matter of actually getting up the courage to do that. I am trying to get one of my friends to kick me in the pants to do it.

Nah, there's nothing to be embarassed about. I took my (now ex) boyfriend to the weight room to show him the ropes; if he could take his girlfriend teaching him to do a proper deadlift at twenty-one, you can take a one hour session with a trainer you'll probably never see again, no problem.

Be your own pants-kicker, and just do it! :)

jumping jacks, lifting weights, and loads of walking.

I exercise but I do stretchings A LOT MORE THAN :m1:EXERCISING.. but I THINK IT'S CONSIDERED an exercise

during summer:mhula:, i go to the gym 3 times a week 1-2 hours and do ballet thrice a week 1-2 hours

when i have classes, i go to the gym twice or once a week 1-2 hours and go ballet twice a week for 1-2 hours

i do sit ups, crunches, squats, treadmill, stepper, rotex, i practice my splits, oversplits and the like and most importantly:m096:, i dance
:m015:
and i'm planning to do yoga or pilates because I HAVE TO FIND MY CENTER OR BALANCE!!!!!! DAMN MY CENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... i need strong abs.. people say balancing comes from the core.. so maybe I should do my best to develop it.. no matter how hard it is!!!! i HAVE TO DO IT.. I NEED IT.. AND I WILL DO IT....:m200:YEHEY!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
well I used to do gymnastics and ballet haha, hence, nowadays I go to the gym once in a while but lately I haven't had the time because I've been too much of a studyfreak.

Although, I walk to school everyday :)

omg cool!!!!!!!!! :m015:ahhhhhhhh that's cool!!!!!!!!! why don't you take it up again!?!?!

i did gymnastics before but I KNEW I DON'T BELONG THERE...i look like a weirdow ahahahaha .. i want to do all those stunts but I CAN'T do those complicated back tuck front handspring, back handspring.. blah

the only thing I can do is.. cartwheel, almost back flip, back bend, front roll, back roll, splits and before i could do a headstand...DAMN!!!!

i'd be looking forward to do yoga to be able to do the headstands again

:m111:

What do you do (if anything) for exercise.

Pre-disability I was pretty athletic: avid backpacker, rock-climber, etc. during the summer; running in the winter--the years I was in California--to stay in shape for my summer activities. For years I ran four miles a day, followed by sit-ups and push-ups. Later I joined a gym and went evey day on my lunch hour, alternating cardio and weights.

Post-stroke in rehab a lot of my PT regimen consisted of leg raises and side-to-sides. We tried tying me to a stationary bike, but that didn't work. I finally settled on a treadmill, though it was awkward and started damaging my left knee. Tried swimming, but I sank like a stone, though I'd been a decent swimmer before.

Once I began using a wheelchair, I looked for a way of keeping my stomach muscles strong to ward off back problems and went back to the sit-ups, leg raises and side-to-sides. Got back to my usual size eight in about a year. Then a depression with accompanying hypersomnia hit and I spent a year sleeping 16-20 hours a day. I had to start from scratch, and did so.

Things went along pretty well for a while till I had to switch to a medication that has significant weight gain as a side effect. My weight zoomed up 60 pounds in two months, though my eating habits stayed the same. Really, really frustrating, but couldn't stop the med without starting the mood swings and there's no other drug I can take without adverse reaction. Really, REALLY frustrating. Still recovering from that with Weight Watchers and exercise. I didn't think it was possible to take any weight off while on Depakote, but over the last year I've lost 40 pounds, slowly and sanely, and exercise is a big part of that. I do 70 leg raises and side-to-sides combined with 280 sit-ups a day. Health problems in recent months have made consistency more difficult, but any day I can manage, I do my routine, usually upon awakening.

Ask a simple question...I wouldn't know a simple answer if it bit me.

I train about 5 days a week. On Sunday it's 3 hours of Freestyle wrestling. Tuesday, an hour and a half of Boxing. Wednesday another 3 hour session, grappling, then wrestling after that. Friday, an hour and a half of Self protection, then Saturday morning another hour and a half of self protection. Then twice a week at home, Sunday and Wednesday when I wake up, I do body weight strength exercises like chin-ups, hand stand press ups, bridges and neck leans.
I used to going running in the woods but it's bloody boring. Also, I hate gyms.

I don't like exercise that much, but I do walk to work every day and I participate in yoga. I like exercises that don't stress me out or make me feel more tense than when I began the routine.

I'd love to get a Wii Fit, though. I just have to break down and get it.

To me, exercise is what you need to do to keep limber and to keep your muscles functioning and to keep you mobile and able to keep your quality of life. Outside of that? Meh. I ain't in no competitions! :D

I think reasons for exercise can change the older you get.

I am running regularly, also doing core exercises like situps, push-ups and pull-ups. I somehow enjoy the feeling you get at the end of the running session, when you dash the last 200 metres and feel disconnected from the body. That's almost better that getting drunk. Note almost.

Mum bought a vibrating pedestal that shakes you about to lose fat.

It's got a good theory behind it, and... no fuck it, it's awesome fun to stand on this thing for 10 minutes at the highest setting and try and stay upright.

Unfortunately though, after two goes on it, it's shaking the shit out of me. Quite literally, I had to rush to the toilet afterwards.

Was it the Hawaii chair???!!!!

Errr...

I walk the dog almost every day (brisk walk) and I try to do situps, pushups, and leg lifts every night before I go to bed. Sometimes I forget.

I need to lose 15lbs. I'm not fat but...I want to maintain the waist I had in high school.

Was it the Hawaii chair???!!!!

vibration_machine_vitality600_001.jpg

I guess not. You should get one of those.

Anica,

I have mixed connective tissue disease, an autoimmune disorder, so I know what's it's like to be limited, in a lot of pain, and fatigued. Yoga was a miracle for me. It isn't a cure, but it helps so much. A PT helped me in deciding which asanas were right for my body.

K.

these days, cycle. In fact I shall probably be pickling up a new bike I got on ebay but since I lack transportation will have to walk there to cycle it back. It's 20+ miles and should take about 7 hours! But i'm rather looking forward to it.

Bus. Or taxi.

Besides, 20 mi, isn't that half of england? Where are you going? Yorkshire?