What do you do (if anything) to exercise. | INFJ Forum

What do you do (if anything) to exercise.

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
I ride my bike, usually about an hour or two a day. I'm still pushing the overweight line, but I like to believe that it keeps me under it.

I've recently started running again. I've had good results from it two years ago when I shed about 15 pounds. I got orthotics to remedy my flat-feet and it took me 3-4 weeks to acclimate to them (foot soreness), but now I love them. My runs now vary from 4.5-5.5 miles. I'm trying to shed 30 pounds, down to the low 170s. Before I started I was 203, I'm at 194 right now. Once I reach my target weight, I plan on weight-lifting again, with the support of a purpose-built diet.

Sometimes I think I live at my gym :D

It's the best environment, it was opened by my old personal trainer at the beginning of the year and he had me in mind as the end user so it's pretty much perfect for me, it's not fitted out with standard machines like you'd find in most gyms (no treadmills w00t) the programs run for 12 weeks like a professional sports institute and involve group and individual training sessions. I get to do yoga/Pilates/tai cha which I loooove and there are sessions on nutrition and other relevant health topics so you can take control of your own health and fitness. The program involves catching up with a doctor for a general checkout and the attention is entirely personalised, it's great I actually look forward to going to my sessions the large majority of the time cause the results are measurable and the place is so Zen and holistic.

I love my gym :mrgreen:

I hear you with the flat feet BallentineChen... me too, recently got my orthotics remade after leaving it for 10 years, apparently that's too long :roll: screwed with my back for a bit cause of it which was sucky!

For sure. When I just started I would get pissed at how much they made my feet hurt, I would get so pissed that I made myself keep on running until the pain went away so I could run in peace. After 2 weeks of that, I decided to relax and just walk in them, and after I came back from a cruise that weekend everything fell into place.

It's cool that you get classes on nutrition, I just bought the Precision Nutrition system a month ago but haven't had a chance to really digest it yet. I went to the gym for a 6-month period about a year and a half ago but burned myself out. I was working hard but saw little gains, or just not as much as I expected. I'm totally diving into getting my nutrition right the next time around.

I should probably start. But I have been running around McDonald's a bit lately. I still young enough for my metabolism to take care of most of it.

Many stretches. Many Pushups. Some sit-ups. And that's about it.

I should run more often, but I like staying in the house.

Should I invest in a treadmill?

The beginning is always the hardest, but I think it's possible that you'll find cardio enjoyable after you get over the initial hump. If you plan on getting a treadmill, make sure that you will stay committed to it. Most treadmills I see in people's houses are unused. They are easier on the joints, because the board that you run on is flexible, but it doesn't compare to actually having to move your own weight on stationary ground.

BallentineChen said:
The beginning is always the hardest, but I think it's possible that you'll find cardio enjoyable after you get over the initial hump. If you plan on getting a treadmill, make sure that you will stay committed to it. Most treadmills I see in people's houses are unused. They are easier on the joints, because the board that you run on is flexible, but it doesn't compare to actually having to move your own weight on stationary ground.

When my grandparents had one, I used it ALL the time . . . now that I have my own place, maybe I should invest . . . I'm one of the few that would actually use it . .

I like going to the gym, but I prefer to go for a block of 2 hours or so, which means when I'm busy I don't go at all.

This is going to sound bad but here goes....I dont....I have a thyroid condition and when I was first diagnosed i was all hell bent on making things right between me and my body so I joined a gym started their diet plan with a group of others for support I worked out 7 days a week 45 mins a day ate 1600 calories a week I did it all I was dedicated....at the end of the 6 month period ALL!! and i do mean ALL of the people in my group had lost at least 30 lbs....I lost NOTHING no inches no pounds nothing....I was so depressed i havnt been back to a gym since...whats the point!

entyqua said:
This is going to sound bad but here goes....I dont....I have a thyroid condition and when I was first diagnosed i was all hell bent on making things right between me and my body so I joined a gym started their diet plan with a group of others for support I worked out 7 days a week 45 mins a day ate 1600 calories a week I did it all I was dedicated....at the end of the 6 month period ALL!! and i do mean ALL of the people in my group had lost at least 30 lbs....I lost NOTHING no inches no pounds nothing....I was so depressed i havnt been back to a gym since...whats the point!
Bummer...

Well I would recomend Swimming but you might not lose pounds fast in it either since a lot of female swimmers are
chubby. It would put you in good shape but you may not be skinny.

I also play tennis but that's for fun.

HenRick said:
entyqua said:
Bummer...

Well I would recomend Swimming but you might not lose pounds fast in it either since a lot of female swimmers are

i should now insert I am deathly afraid of water...I still go to pools with my child as long as we can both touch I am ok...As a child about her age i almost drowned literally was rescued before i was about to inhale water...Was unconscious when I got to the surface.... So swimming in the sense that you suggest i cant do it :(

When I was able to go to the gym I alternated a cardio routine with weight lifting.

I didn't start losing weight initially, but I lost lots of inches. Size 14-16 to size 6-8 (depending on the brand). I was more pissed about not having anything in my closet that fit since I'd gotten rid of all of my pre pregnancy wardrobe, than I was about not losing 'weight'.

I was a compteitive swimmer growing up and would jump in the pool and to work on my stroke techniques and stuff. I loved my swimmers physique as a teen and was so stoked to get it back, for awhile anyway.

It took a while to get into exercising. But I noticed I had more energy, was a bit more upbeat. Hubby was pleased that my sex drive took off. There is no way I am taking 4 kids to the gym by myself so I've not been in awhile. Ah well. I know how to pick it back up and I look forward to doing it.

entyqua said:
HenRick said:
entyqua said:
Bummer...

i should now insert I am deathly afraid of water...I still go to pools with my child as long as we can both touch I am ok...As a child about her age i almost drowned literally was rescued before i was about to inhale water...Was unconscious when I got to the surface.... So swimming in the sense that you suggest i cant do it :(
It must be horrible. I've never had an experience like that.
Maybe some day over the rainbow?
:mrgreen:

HenRick said:
entyqua said:
HenRick said:
entyqua said:
Bummer...

It must be horrible. I've never had an experience like that.
Maybe some day over the rainbow?
:mrgreen:

I really wouldnt wish it on anyone....I hope you never have to!

Try Wii Fit and get a family member to compete against.
It's pretty fun trying to best each other and getting exercise at the same time.

AgentofGaming said:
It's pretty fun trying to best each other and getting exercise at the same time.

Were saving for it...We definitely want it! :D I hear its awesome!

My daughter and I took a LONG 2 mile bikeride yesterday to the park! Talk about a work out....(my butt still hurts lol)

entyqua said:
AgentofGaming said:

Were saving for it...We definitely want it! :D I hear its awesome!

Wii Fit is pretty fun, although I think I like DDR better (even though I'm horrible at it! :lol: ). I'm waiting for Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009 to be released. It sounds cool even though the early screenshots show really really REALLY bad graphics. :(

As for exercise, I own a stationary bike and a Gazelle and a trampoline, but my preferred workout is Turbo Jam. I'm working my way up to P90X. Yes, I am a workout video junkie. :D