Thoughts on the 2012 doomsday theory? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Thoughts on the 2012 doomsday theory?

Wow interesting that this is brought up haha I used to be a fanatic on this and panic about it a year ago. worrying how the hell I was going to be able to establish a life and find my love before that. Or even worse would I die misserable.

I think it the 2012 doomsday is a symbol of 'a big change to life as we know it' rather than world blows away and dissapears kind of thing.

Isn't part of the theory that it is the Mayan and a different cultures calandar that both end on 2012. Since they both end on this day and have not been copying each others calanders that somehow this means the ancients were "in the know" about the apocalypse?

Now that I know that the calendars are cyclic I am not as impressed with the theory.

Isn't part of the theory that it is the Mayan and a different cultures calandar that both end on 2012. Since they both end on this day and have not been copying each others calanders that somehow this means the ancients were "in the know" about the apocalypse?

Now that I know that the calendars are cyclic I am not as impressed with the theory.

Yes that is what started it. There are other factors as well. What prophets have said, and what astrology has laid out on the table, as some examples.

It is a mix of both really. I look into things, hear things, feel things, ect. Then decide if they make sense or feel right to me. One of the best ways I can explain it is that the 2012 scenario (I don't call it an apycoplaps because the world isn't going to fall apart at the seems, we are close enough now to see that much) is a large set of possiblites.

I was on the phone with my mom earlier today and we were talking about alot of things relating to this. She was telling me how there was a man who passed away a while ago. When he died, he told his mother he would return to her in the spiritual world within 10 years with messages. She has been getting messages from him. One that we were discussing was the issue with china. Even just a few years ago, there was a worry that china could invade the US and cause a major war. That timeline is now gone. The world's frequency had changed and that possibllity no longer exsits.

Really, there are countless things that could happen, but they are all possibllites. It is like taking a photograph. You see things at an exact moment, but later on things can change. That is largely how I view the 2012 scenario. I just listen, and see what feels right, and form my own explination of it.

I hope that helps explain it. It is kind of hard to describe.

Thanks, that does. I really like the photograph analogy.

It must be really awesome, I would think, to receive wanted messages from 'the other side'. I have a slight fear of 'ghosts' (I know.. kinda silly :)) but I want to increase my receptiveness to my inner knowing and spirit communication. It would be really great to one day be able to communicate more clearly with them.

It'll be just another year though. People seem to always be looking forward to the next point at which they believe the world will end. Just since I've been alive there have been countless predictions of the end of days... and look, we're still here!

ditto.

Thanks, that does. I really like the photograph analogy.

It must be really awesome, I would think, to receive wanted messages from 'the other side'. I have a slight fear of 'ghosts' (I know.. kinda silly :)) but I want to increase my receptiveness to my inner knowing and spirit communication. It would be really great to one day be able to communicate more clearly with them.

It is not all it is cracked up to be from what I have seen and heard. Being that open can be extremely stressful. However, with practice and control, it can be very useful and enlightning. I more "feel" spirits, as with most things, I simply know the presence. Meditiation is a good way to start.

i dun't think it'll happen...i mean it's just a calendar that is ending....but our calendar ends every year...so does that mean that just because our calendar ends...the world ends? haha lol just pointin out..

haha, yea i think this is where i stand too. i did a lil research on this a couple years back. the mayans actually had a number of calendars (for example one that tracked VEnus). the ones they used the most frequently were based on a 260 day period, and another one with 365 day period. when you combined the two together, they would repeat ever 52 years. so this was a basic life cycle for the mayans.

their whole conception of time was very differen than ours. life was cyclical, and things repeated. if you intersected different calendars you would get special dates that repeated every number of years, and those days were celebrated.

i think if i remember correctly the 2012 date was just a day when some cycle would end and a new one would start up again. so if mayan civilization were still around they would definitely think it were a special date and would celebrate it. i'm not sure if they would think of anything like "consciousness shifting" or apocalypse or anything like that, since those are concepts that are probably pretty foreign to their worldview.

i think if i remember correctly the 2012 date was just a day when some cycle would end and a new one would start up again. so if mayan civilization were still around they would definitely think it were a special date and would celebrate it. i'm not sure if they would think of anything like "consciousness shifting" or apocalypse or anything like that, since those are concepts that are probably pretty foreign to their worldview.

You speak the truth! It was more a case of "Oh, our calendar will end at this date," and more modern people hyped it up with thoughts of apocalypse, global consciousness, etc. I saw a special on the History channel about this. They said things like "The Mayan calendar predicted that this one cycle would have a disaster... and it did! The next cycle predicted harmony, and there was harmony! It must be true!" I was really turned off by that - the Mayan calendar predictions are so vague, almost anything could be said to be a fulfillment of them.

I'm going to remain skeptically curious for now. I doubt anything will happen, but it's fun to speculate. Maybe the aliens responsible for life on Earth will return and see how their science experiment is doing! :lol:

I have to say that 2012 and the concepts of time itself and patterns intereste me greatly.

I never ever bought into the hype of Y2K, the world ending in year 2000 (why would it end at this date? The gregorian calendar is so arbitrary, and its highly unlikely that 'divine patterns' would follow such a mechanical creation -- you know, base-10 and all that), as well as the predictions of nostradamus and other end-of-the world oracle types. I never bought into astrology after extensive introspection and study of it.

But for some reason the idea of 2012, the 13:20 (mayan) time system continues to fascinate me, first of all because that calendar is based on time patterns which are not dependent upon earth's cycles, but rather upon star cycles. After all, it was the mayan people who had the most advanced concept of their position in the universe (literally speaking) at that given period of time -- and thus derived their entire concept of time from it.

I believe we earth people are not the center of the universe and that any system of time or astrology that posits that we are deserves to be examined more thoroughly (though I don't think that any system doesnt).

The idea of 2012 holds much interest for me for various reasons. That the patterns which occur on earth can be predicted and systemized into the grand scheme of things would prove the existence of something which I've always searched for but have never been able to find. A higher power.

The idea of some sort of sane, comprehensible movement of the entire universe -- of which sub patterns are derived from. In other words the possibility that the universe could just make sense, and I could know my place within it -- however small I am.

Last edited:
That was beautifully written, Zero Angel.

i always just find it a little bit perplexing that people put so much faith in the knowledge of their evolutionarily (is that a word? it is now) inferior ancestors. i know it probably has something to do with the fact that we are all programmed to learn from our elders and all that jazz but still it kinda tickles me

i always just find it a little bit perplexing that people put so much faith in the knowledge of their evolutionarily (is that a word? it is now) inferior ancestors. i know it probably has something to do with the fact that we are all programmed to learn from our elders and all that jazz but still it kinda tickles me

I don't see how the Mayans were evolutionarily inferior. They did not have the same technologies that we do, but the were just as intelligent humans as us. I cannot accept that societal evolution makes society worse or better; it only makes society different in my opinion.

I don't think that the world will end in 2012. The world could end at any time, but its not like the Mayans knew something that we don't.

Predictions for 2012:
The earth will still circle the sun.
The sun will still be hot.
The stars will still shine.
Some people will have a good year.
Some people will have a bad year.
Matter will still turn into energy.
Energy will still turn into matter.

There. I've made predictions. Does this make me a prophet? No. Is December 31st the end of time, simply because it's the end of our calender? No. Time is one single object. We break it up into manageable pieces, because then we can control those pieces. This is an illusion. If something cataclysmic does happen, then there will probably be at least some survivors, who will learn from the events. Whether these survivors will be human is up to chance and preparation. Bad things happen. Do your best to protect your own, and to learn from what happens.

Reactions: Lucifer
Astronomers and physicists are expecting the solar maximum (period of greatest solar activity - on an 11 year cycle -) of 2012 to be especially intense, likely to rival that of 1958.

Just thought I'd throw that in here.

Could be interesting though... what would really happen if the magnetic poles moved, other than a bunch of birds getting very, very lost?

Well there's been lots wales beaching themselves lately, the poles may already be shifting.
Speaking of animals and magnetic pulls, I heard that satellite images revealed cows stand facing poles for much of the time. Useless information but cool if its true.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
~ Alan Kay

Last edited:
The coming years we will see a significant increase in deadly earthquakes, and we're already seeing it. Haiti, Chile and Japan has already had earthquakes over 7.0 this year.

I also believe we will witness an economic collapse and the world wide food crisis will severly worsen and food prices will skyrocket.

Aside from that we will step rapidly closer to a totalitarian soceity.

All this might happen before 2012.

Time measurement was worshiped in the past, because that helped people to keep track of it, which increased their agricultural efficiency. We are still living in the jungle, while we celebrate Christmas and New Year. People tend to be obsessed with: numbers, names, symbols. But language is for the symbol-minded. A relative tool, with no absolute value. Similar obsessions have been seen all throughout history, including around 1900, 1999, 2000...

comes like a thief in the night.

Yeah I mirror what a few people have to say on here. Mainly that if we know about it advance we would avoid it.

Last edited:
It's all bollocks.

Reactions: Krumplenump
Load of crap. Nature doesn't recognise time, days, weeks or years; those are merely things we've created to time-keep.

We humans excel at either consoling or terrifying ourselves around the superstition of 'predestined events'