Talking on the Phone | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Talking on the Phone

I like to talk on the phone to people I know. When I don't know the person, I need a clear objective as to why I am calling. I never receive calls from strangers so, hmmm...

I have no phobia and am not afraid of the phone but I am not a fan of it. I find it intrusive.

My mother is Always on the phone (litterally), thus I don't use the homephone that often. I am fine with calling whoever and I feel pretty neutral to it and could definetly live without it. I even threw away my cellphone for like a 6 months up untill 2 days ago.

Do you ever have anxiety attacks in unfamiliar or otherwise demanding situations that require socialization of any sort? Even mild anxiety attacks?

I don't think I have ever had an anexity attack (although I don't know what one would be like). However, I will feel very very stressed out and unconfortable in some situations, and I will want to climb into a hole.

I have a calling people phobia. I HATE ANSWERING MACHINES WITH A PASSION!!!!!

They always make you sound like an idiot.

However, once I get someone on the phone, assuming it's someone I want to talk to, I love the phone.

I prefer IM with most people.

The only person I really enjoy talking on the phone for hours with is my best friend.

Hm... This makes me reevaluate what cell phone plan I may need...
XD!

Oh, and cold calling to ask a question sucks, unless it's like a bookstore for a book.

That's not so bad.

OH AND PHONE GAMES/DRUNK DIALS!

I HATE THOSE.

i ha.te answering machines too!also really dont like talking on the phone it bugs me.ill usually just talk when neccessary to arrange something etc.I also hate answering an unexpected phonecall ill often just ignore one.i always keep my phone on silent because i cant stand ringtones...

i feel like i did have social anxiety disorder to some degree before because i ab-so-lute-ly abhorred making and taking phone calls. i hardly ever turned on my cell phone, and the few calls i was forced to take lasted a couple of minutes at the most.
talking on the phone just wasn't comfortable to me. i would rather chat online or speak in person.
volunteering at the hospital, where i had to take visitors' calls as part of my job, kind of forced me to learn how to communicate coherently over the phone [i used to stutter on the phone...and that was the only times i did so].

now, i'm much, much more open to the idea of talking on the phone. with certain friends, family and my bf, it feels just like speaking face-to-face ..which is something i enjoy.

Avoiding phone calls at all times, and then having anxiety attacks or dread when forced to make them is just one sign of social anxiety disorder.

Social anxiety disorder is the 3rd most common psychiatric disorder, behind depression and alcohol dependence. It has a very high prevalence so I wouldn't be surprised if you know others who have it.

3 for 3, that makes me awesome right?

I pretty much can agree with everything everyone has already said on the subject so I'll keep my opinion short. I hate it when the phone rings, be it family or friends, and will avoid talking on the phone when ever possible. The only time I enjoyed phone conversations was when I was 15 or 16 and in a relationship and would talk for hours at a time with her.
I order pizza online and text my friends in response when they call me. I feel slightly sick and uneasy when I feel my phone start to vibrate.

I used to dread talking to or answering anyone on a phone, but now it's not really an issue, except when ringing people I don't know (inc. businesses).

Reactions: Wyst
Given my choice, I'd rather chat with someone online or communicate through text messages. Obviously this isn't possible 100% of the time.

I used to always screen my phone calls, even from friends, to find out what they wanted and give myself a chance to decide if I wanted to talk to them about that or talk to them at all. That was years ago.

Now I'll always answer the phone - but generally I will roll my mental eyes anytime my phone rings. :m194: I never initiate phonecalls unless there's something specific I want to talk about. I don't call to just shoot the breeze with people.

Yeah.. work related phonecalls are my least favorite :m077:

I avoid it whenever possible..

I have no choice but to talk on the phone during the workday, but since the phone is only a means of communicating information, I am very to the point, and don't tolerate much chit, chat.
"Who are you?, What do you need?, When do you need it? Bye.
All in a pleasant customer oriented tone of course.

My coworker, the insufferable woman she is, can have a customer on the phone for 30 minutes over what would have taken me 3.

:phone:

Last edited:
It depends on my mood, really.

If I'm bored and haven't seen my friend(s) in a while, then I'd be happy that they called me to at least talk. Though the majority of the time I dread having to talk on the phone, or feeling "forced" to hang out with a friend when I just want to do something else alone. =\

I also dislike making phone calls. I usually have to "plan" them out, like imagine exactly what I'll say when they pick up, or else I'll say something that makes no sense, or say the wrong things. I typically walk around a lot when I'm on the phone too. I don't know if any other INFJs do that a lot...

I used to hate talking on the phone. It sort of changed for me when I started to move around a lot; it was one of the ways I kept in contact with friends and family.

Now I gab all the time. Even if I just saw the person an hour before.

I guess I'm making up for my lack of phone-cord-twiling-stereotypical-teenage-girlness during my adolescence now.

I think I'm indifferent to the phone. I usually don't answer it and let the machine pick it up but it's not from fear - I just can't be bothered because there's something far more interesting I could be doing than talking on the phone. If I have to tell someone something I can be short and to the point, but I try to let them talk so I can listen more. I don't like small talk, though. That annoys me.

Most of the jobs I've had have required well-developed phone etiquette skills, so I guess I've naturally gravitated towards that, too.

I have a love hate relationship with my phone. I hate to answer it, but people love to call me. I like to text though.

I'd rather chat via internet mic, or meet in person. D: This is odd because I normally buy lots of phones. I think I went through 4 phones last year. L:

I have an internet mike but no webcam so nobody ever talks to me
devil-smiley-065.gif

Yay for texting!!! I agree with everything above. Hate the phone, sound like a moron on answering machines. If I have to call someone, I hope that they won't pick up. I definitely screen my calls. I hardly ever answer, I'll wait for the message and then figure out how to respond. I have even gone so far as to end up responding by email. I will do anything ANYTHING to get other people to make calls for me. And I agree it is because you can't judge people's reactions over a phone (unless you know them really really well like a bff or close family member).

Woohoo. One more disorder to add to my ever growing list. Yay.

I don't like talking on the phone, but I can stand it if I really have to ^^" I much prefer texting, it give you time to think about what you're trying to say first. Actually, most people I know prefer texting ^^"