How much sleep do you need? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How much sleep do you need?

I need 8-10 hours sleep. I usually get 6-7, which isn't good for me. I tried an all-nighter once, promptly got very sick, and never did it again.

I need 8-10 hours sleep. I usually get 6-7, which isn't good for me. I tried an all-nighter once, promptly got very sick, and never did it again.

I can't do all nighters either, It makes me feel horrible and I get sick.

I've done all nighters before. Every time I do that, I get sick and stay sick for about a week. I think one of the worst kinds of torture is sleep deprivation.

I need lots of sleep... 8 to 10 minimum, but I would sleep 12 hours a night if I could.

Nights where I dream I need more sleep & when big events come my way... I don't go to sleep at all. I stay up all night, too excited to even sleep!

The day before I went on a 4 day hiking trip to Machu Picchu (The Inca Trail) I didn't go to sleep, as well as, the night before my wedding! HA....
it's a habit when something big is about to happen!

can anyone relate?

I need lots of sleep... 8 to 10 minimum, but I would sleep 12 hours a night if I could.

Nights where I dream I need more sleep & when big events come my way... I don't go to sleep at all. I stay up all night, too excited to even sleep!

The day before I went on a 4 day hiking trip to Machu Picchu (The Inca Trail) I didn't go to sleep, as well as, the night before my wedding! HA....
it's a habit when something big is about to happen!

can anyone relate?

i can totally relate, i don't sleep when i'm excited, like for example if i'm thrilled about tomorrow and can't wait for it to arrive for whatever reason, i wouldn't be able to sleep at all.

48 hours without sleep!
I've done that once... on a trip back from D.C on the most uncomfortable coach bus ever..
I laughed my ass off throughout an entire Noam Chomsky documentary that was playing.. that's when I knew I was slap happy.
My sleeping patterns fluctuate. I get just a few hours (maybe 5) most of the week and hibernate for up to 15 on the rest. It's sick.

Haha...as much as I love Noam Chomsky, comic genius he ain't.

I need 7-8. i know people who get a lot less and i wonder how they function and/or maintain any sense of happiness.

also it depends when i wake up. i'm doing this 'wake up at 5 a.m.' kick right now but i'm totally exhausted even after 8 hours. whereas i get up at 8 or 9 (after 8 hours) and feel ok.

while sick i can sleep for 15-20.

all nighters...gah....i get really sick if i pull all nighters too.

5 is my minimum to be reasonably functional. If I sleep more than 10-11 I start to get body aches and a headache. Ideal is 8-10.

I used to work a night shift a few years ago and I regularly considered 5 hrs a good days rest. I switched back to a previously abandoned career in order to work days as I was having anxiety and emotional lability issues I'm sure were sourced in long-term sleep deprivation. I did on occasion go 48 hrs without sleep and I could function, but I know it took a pretty hefty toll on my well-being.

12 Hours is excellent, never get it though, usually 7 or 8...

I'm always sleepy, except for at night time.

I really don't know; my circadian clock is on the fritz so much. Last week, for example, I slept 2-3 hours a night, but this weekend I slept 4-5 at night and cat-napped off and on during the day. So who knows? I know I need regular sleep and try going to bed at the same time every night with every intention of getting up at the same time every morning. The problem is, I just can't stay asleep and once I wake up, I can't get back to sleep.

i can totally relate, i don't sleep when i'm excited, like for example if i'm thrilled about tomorrow and can't wait for it to arrive for whatever reason, i wouldn't be able to sleep at all.

Hmm, I cannot.. Whenever there is something thrilling to happen, I can go to sleep relatively rather easily, but it's a lot easier to wake up. I react faster to the alarm clock, or I just wake up even earlier than the clock alarms.

However, my personal ideal time is around 7-8 hours, though I usually sleep 6 and if I do that for too long I start getting truly exhausted and that's a pain. However, if I sleep 4 or 5 hours, then if my eyes don't hurt, then I'm more awake then ever, but the next day even if I sleep a lot I'll be like a brainless half-dead zombie. How tired I am is more defined by how I slept the day before waking up, not how much I slept before waking up. If you get what I mean. It's really weird.

Though I don't understand why you guys' eyes don't hurt and allow you to pull "all-nighters".

Any less than 6 is bad, but I really prefer 9-10 per night. I should go sleep now.

My sleeping pattern is very messed up, I barely sleep, I will say I sleep about 1-2 hours on weekdays, this continues and continues and on the weekend I will sleep for about 15 hours if possible, then the pattern continues..if somehow a long the way I can't take it, I fall asleep the whole day..then I find myself doing hw at 1 am and the pattern continues once again xD.

In a pinch 3-4 can cover but it's gonna be a rough day. 6-8 preferred and 10 is a godly thing to be able to get.

I wonder if there is something going on with me lately.

I can't sleep at all, all night. In the past I'd start sleeping in the morning but now I don't.
I can be on the lookout in the middle of the afternoon.. and I'll feel this slight 'dip' and then I take the chance and go to sleep. Usually only about 20 min or less.

I don't feel tired during the day either.. but I am always in a daze.

I have memories of times when my eyes used to be fully open.

Last edited:
If I dont get two or three days a week where I get 11 or 12 hours of sleep I will take a nose dive. Will to do homework, study, ect goes away. I can try to force it, but my brain will REFUSE to do so. As I haven't gotten more then 8 hours of sleep a night for two weeks, this is the case right now. The average for the past 2 weeks is around 7 hours. Not enough at all. Any kind of sit-down brain work becomes very hard.

Also, the time I wake up is an important factor. Those days where I sleep 11 or 12 hours I need to wake up past noon, or the effect isn't at its strongest. I tried going to bed ar 10pm one this weekend, it didn't help in the slightest. I think I have delayed sleep-phase syndrome.

I can go off no sleep for 2 days straight.
(I wouldn't recommend 3 days, I did it once cuz I had to in order to get stuff for school finished, and by the end of the 3rd day I was almost hallucinating.)
SO, then after 2 days spent awake (and I do this AT LEAST once a week) I need ATLEAST:
6 hours to even hear the alarm go off.
8 hours to not be a bitch.
9 hours to feel good.
10 hours to be happy.
12 hours to right with the world again.

But I have slept for like 18 hours straight before. And I thought at first that I wasted the day, but honestly who gives a shit, not like I was gonna be doing anything better.

The standard 8, minimum. Ideally 9, but I rarely get that. If I'm self disciplined enough to give myself that much I feel way better the next day.

9 - 12 hours of sleep. Well, I could do fine with 8, but I like dreaming and I don't like waking up until I have to or my body wants to. Dreaming for me is a time of inventing.

i sleep 9+ hours when I can, but I've gotton by regularly on less than 2 hours per night. i'm pretty flexible when it comes to sleep.