How Can I Gain Weight? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

How Can I Gain Weight?

yeah try talking to your doctor... because what if it's normal for your body type?....or like normal for you metabolic rate :)

Btw I'm not actually vegetarian. It's just easier than saying I can't stand plain meats.

Oh and I have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow.

See guys, this is what free healthcare gives you!

Last edited:
I have "free" healthcare (only recently did I get to stop paying premiums to the province) but my doc is so busy it takes me at least 5 weeks to 2 months to get in to see her.
My province refuses to pay docs and nurses what their worth, so we lose them all to Texas ._.

I'm skinny like yourself (5'11: weighing in at 150 from a previous weight of 135), but have a lithe, efficient figure due to some muscle development.

Just engage in more physical labor like lifting weights. It will increase your food requirements and you will gain mass as a result, without gaining too much extra fat.

I have a home gym but rarely use it, still I keep dumbbells in my computer room for an occasional workout of my arms when i'm watching a movie, etc. Also, I don't recommend skipping breakfast and eating a big lunch. In my experience, doing that means a huge energy dip right after lunch, especially if you eat something that costs a lot of energy to process like breads/pastas.

Last edited:
I'm skinny like yourself (weighing in at 150 from a previous weight of 135), but have a lithe, efficient figure due to some muscle development.

Just engage in more physical labor like lifting weights. It will increase your food requirements and you will gain mass as a result, without gaining too much extra fat.

I have a home gym but rarely use it, still I keep dumbbells in my computer room for an occasional workout of my arms when I'm watching a movie, etc. Also, I don't recommend skipping breakfast and eating a big lunch. In my experience, doing that means a huge energy dip right after lunch, especially if you eat something that costs a lot of energy to process like breads/pastas.
Yes, losing steam in mid-day, while it would cause a heavy person to eat more, would cause those just so use to skipping meals in favour of resting to do it more.

Well, you should gain weight if you stick to weight training along with high protein intake. Your muscles should build mass, and muscle is heavier than fat I believe. Even a high metabolism can't ignore the need for heftier muscles once you start with weights.

Great way to increase protein intake is milk and making yogurt smoothies. Yogurt smoothies my way involve Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt + Carrots + Frozen Fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, bannanas + Fresh Fruit like mangos or bannanas. It's great for breakfast, and drinking a huge thing of it is pretty healthy I think.

Since you're already skinny, you can probably do away with the lowfat vanilla and then add a touch of sugar if it's not sweet enough. You need a good blender though, and you got to really really like smoothies to even bother making it because cleanup is a pain. Oh and for the juice, you need to use purple juice because it's high in anti-oxidants. Those buggers make you live longer.

Wow you're tiny, I want to lift you above my head and do wrestling moves on you.

Okay after a bout of constant eating I woke up in the middle of the night feeling extremely ill (bless Dove for being there for my late night skype call). I didn't throw up but still found that this morning I weigh the freaking same.

Seeing the Dr. today. :(

Constant eating for no reason but to gain weight doesnt sound like a wise choice. I'm sure if you make lifestyle choices that are more physical in nature (eg: getting a membership to a nearby leisure centre/YMCA, penciling it in, etc) then the physical exertion from being active will cause you to eat more, gain increased physical ability, and increase your BMI to more acceptable levels.

It takes a long time to build weight without putting too much stress on your body. The hypothalamus regulates our appetite and doesnt like it when we change it too drastically, so it will secrete hormones that make you feel sick. I do imagine though, that buying a big thing of protein powder and making shakes out of it wouldnt hurt.

Weight (and especially BMI) is a red herring. Eat moderately, exercise moderately and don't stess too much (especially about weight) is my advice.

Eat babies like the INFJ's do.

All your essential food groups in a fatty, easy to digest package!

Or ask Shai.

I think he gets fat on all those words he's had to eat over the years.

i know how you feel, i eat like a pig but my crazy metabolism doesn't allow me to gain weight. i asked my friends the same question as you and some of the girls took offense to this. a lot of women sure would love to be in the position you're in right now.

I'm a salad and pasta guy.

For the purposes of this thread, just pretend I'm a vegetarian.

I haven't read the rest of the thread to see if anyone responded to this or not but here's the deal:

Fact: It takes 1g of protein and .5 of fat to maintain 1 lb of lean body mass (body weight that isn't fat cells).

You say you want to gain weight in a healthy way, you mean that you want to gain muscle and not fat, right? Well the only way you're going to be able to achieve this is by increasing your protein/fat intake (eat more meat or animal products such as whey protein).

No way around it - but eating salad and pasta at a caloric surplus is sure to increase the kind of body mass that you don't want to increase.

I haven't read the rest of the thread to see if anyone responded to this or not but here's the deal:

Fact: It takes 1g of protein and .5 of fat to maintain 1 lb of lean body mass (body weight that isn't fat cells).

You say you want to gain weight in a healthy way, you mean that you want to gain muscle and not fat, right? Well the only way you're going to be able to achieve this is by increasing your protein/fat intake (eat more meat or animal products such as whey protein).

No way around it - but eating salad and pasta at a caloric surplus is sure to increase the kind of body mass that you don't want to increase.

Pasta does work. It worked for me

So you ate pasta and no meat at all?

Oh, i must have missed that part.

I ate lots of pasta and tuna and that worked great. I have kept that weight on ever since too.

I'm just short of 15 stone at the moment which is about 200lbs

Oh, i must have missed that part.

I ate lots of pasta and tuna and that worked great. I have kept that weight on ever since too.

I'm just short of 15 stone at the moment which is about 200lbs

Bingo - I was addressing Chaz's saying to pretend he was on a vegetarian diet. Ya, definitely need to eat carbs. But carbs alone isn't going to do it. Gotta have some (lots) of meat.

Bingo - I was addressing Chaz's saying to pretend he was on a vegetarian diet. Ya, definitely need to eat carbs. But carbs alone isn't going to do it. Gotta have some (lots) of meat.

Agreed

So what did the doc say chaz?