How Can I Gain Weight? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How Can I Gain Weight?

Well, you don't want to gain 20lbs in fat (unless your that way inclined)

I would recommend more protein and complex carbohydrates in your daily diet and weight lifting. Judging by your avatar, you look like an ectomorph.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

Here's a good article you might be interested in.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hardgainer-muscle-building-1-nutrition.htm

My body contains no fat. Or at least nothing the least bit noticable. When I pinch myself all I get is skin. 20lbs of fat won't harm me, but of course isn't ideal.

Thanks for the help though. I'll look up the links at work.

And yes, I'm definitely an ectomorph.

eat a lot of food at night, before you sleep. your body will be more likely to convert it into fat rather than burning it.

eat a lot of food at night, before you sleep. your body will be more likely to convert it into fat rather than burning it.

I'll try that when I get on a normal sleeping schedule. Jet lag has fucked me beyond belief. I keep falling asleep at 8-9 ish and waking up at 4am.

Healthy sleep rhythms are essential to be healthy, regardless of weight. So you need to start training yourself to go to bed about 10-11pm and wake up at 8-9am (sounds like a lot, but apparently that's what you need til you're about 30).

To put weight on, oily fish and nuts are very good. Protein will turn into muscle weight if you exercise regularly - but you'll probably lose some weight before you put it back on, and that's not a good plan when you're underweight.
For now, try to eat and stuff high in calories regardless of it being healthy, then when you're a more average weight you can start doing the protein/exercise thing and you'll get healthy again in no time.

Healthy sleep rhythms are essential to be healthy, regardless of weight. So you need to start training yourself to go to bed about 10-11pm and wake up at 8-9am (sounds like a lot, but apparently that's what you need til you're about 30).

To put weight on, oily fish and nuts are very good. Protein will turn into muscle weight if you exercise regularly - but you'll probably lose some weight before you put it back on, and that's not a good plan when you're underweight.
For now, try to eat and stuff high in calories regardless of it being healthy, then when you're a more average weight you can start doing the protein/exercise thing and you'll get healthy again in no time.

When my body wants to sleep, it's going to sleep. This new schedule isn't a normal thing though.

Also I don't eat healthily as a decision. I just do it and prefer it. It's either healthily, or snacks. Neither of which makes me gain weight. :(

oh my you're so thin.....

shouldn't you just eat healthy foods?...

if it doesn't make you gain weight.. at least it makes you healthy :)

Last edited:

That doesn't really do much of a difference unless you increase the amount of calories that you are consuming in a day. So eating a large meal before bed does work because of the increase of calories that you are putting into your body. It would work in similar fashion if you ate the same meal for breakfast and did very little activity during that day.
Your body still burns calories even when you're asleep.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

Last edited:
The articles that I have recommended in the above post will help set you off on the right foot.

Here's another link just for luck and extra information;
http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

Its a free, personalized program to help you get started and covers the basics of gaining good quality mass, healthily.

Last edited:
That doesn't really do much of a difference unless you increase the amount of calories that you are consuming in a day. So eating a large meal before bed does work because of the increase of calories that you are putting into your body. It would work in similar fashion if you ate the same meal for breakfast and did very little activity during that day.
Your body still burns calories even when you're asleep.

Yes but it burns less. Typically people starting a night shift will gain weight because their body is used to metabolising less in the time they're working.

I think this maybe a slightly unhealthy way to do it but you could try just eating one really big meal a day, don't eat breakfast and eat some chocolate before bed.

That way, because your body knows it doesn't get fed very often it will save what you do eat as fat so it has some to last.

I don't know if this will work and it's probably a bad idea but you never know

how about........ eat everything you want :)

eat pork,ice cream, french fries from mcdonald's, cakes, everything sweet, fruit shakes,milk shakes, chips, chocolate, doughnuts, pizza etc..

I envy you!!! you can eat everything...!!!!!!

how about get my fat and put it in your body bwahahha yuck that's gross

why do you want to gain weight? just be healthy :) :) exercise and gain muscle weight :) :)

Be 30!

Your metabolism will slow down enough for you to gain a little weight, put on muscle easily, but still be slim.

Sorry, not much help, that... :D but I know plenty of guys built like you who simply could not put on weight, or put on muscle easily until they were a bit older. It may not be much consolation now. but you will be so very, very glad you're built like you are when you are a little older. Anyway, you're a cutie, and being thin, you can wear anything, don't worry about it! People come in all different shapes and sizes.

I remember when my husband hit 25 he was thrilled to find how easily he could put on muscle, it got much easier at that age. I think it has something to do with testosterone.

Barring that, have you ever heard of country-fried steak? Fried okra? Fried everything? Baked macaroni and cheese? Protien powder? These things should be of some help, and at least you'll have fun trying.

Darn, a lot of teenage girls are probably jealous of your metabolism.

Anyway, the simplest way is to increase your portion sizes (eat more of what you already eat), and avoid exercise. Also, you could try adding junk food in-between meals if that's not enough, though I only recommend that if the other part doesn't work on its own.

haha you are tiny like a woman. You need to eat more a sit/lay down more.

how about........ eat everything you want :)

And eat everything you dont want.

Last edited:
Any thoughts?

When I recently saw an old friend of mine he said I've lost weight. I didn't think this could be true as I couldn't possibly lose weight. I just weighed my self and I have.

I now weigh in at 46.5 kg, that's 102 lbs.

Stacked with my height of 5' 8'' this puts my BMI at 15.5 (shockingly underweight).

How the hell do I get to a normal weight?
:m142: MY POOR BABY!! He's wasting away! :m142::m142::m142:
I wish I could be there cooking for him right now but I can't get there! I took care of him and fed him lots for 3 weeks, but I don't think it made much headway.
I'll try that when I get on a normal sleeping schedule. Jet lag has fucked me beyond belief. I keep falling asleep at 8-9 ish and waking up at 4am.
:m142::m142::m142::m142::m142:
Be 30!

Your metabolism will slow down enough for you to gain a little weight, put on muscle easily, but still be slim.

Sorry, not much help, that... :D but I know plenty of guys built like you who simply could not put on weight, or put on muscle easily until they were a bit older. It may not be much consolation now. but you will be so very, very glad you're built like you are when you are a little older. Anyway, you're a cutie, and being thin, you can wear anything, don't worry about it! People come in all different shapes and sizes.

I remember when my husband hit 25 he was thrilled to find how easily he could put on muscle, it got much easier at that age. I think it has something to do with testosterone.

Barring that, have you ever heard of country-fried steak? Fried okra? Fried everything? Baked macaroni and cheese? Protien powder? These things should be of some help, and at least you'll have fun trying.
He can definitely stomach that. He loves pasta bakes!! And yus he is very very cute ^^.

Thanks to everyone helping out my Chazzy, I'll read the links provided too so I can help him when I can actually cook for him again in October. Finding out his weight was downright scary ;_;, I hope he's not suffering health-wise is ways we can't see...

Lift heavy weights (> 80% if 1 RM) and fewer reps/set (4-6) to a total of 25 to 30 reps per exercise. Do compound exercises (pull ups, bench presses, squats, dead lifts, etc.) that involve multiple muscle groups. Drink a whey protein isolate shake as soon as possible after a workout. This should be done 2 or 3 times per week. Look up the book Huge in a Hurry, by Chad Waterbury.

Alternatively, join a crossfit (see crossfit.com) affiliate in your area and then eat a lot, especially protein.

Is this a long term issue? If you can't gain weight despite an appropriate diet, I'd look into the possibility of having some metabolism disorder.

You know, you may be like me. My metabolism is incredibly high and no matter what I do I can't gain weight. My BMI is 15.4 and while that is drastically underweight my doctor tells me that it is healthy and normal for me. I suggest consulting a doctor about this issue. That'll give you a little more insight as what you should be doing, if anything.

Lift heavy weights (> 80% if 1 RM) and fewer reps/set (4-6) to a total of 25 to 30 reps per exercise. Do compound exercises (pull ups, bench presses, squats, dead lifts, etc.) that involve multiple muscle groups. Drink a whey protein isolate shake as soon as possible after a workout. This should be done 2 or 3 times per week. Look up the book Huge in a Hurry, by Chad Waterbury.

Alternatively, join a crossfit (see crossfit.com) affiliate in your area and then eat a lot, especially protein.

Heavy weights are good for over all growth. When your metabolism is high...just eating lots of food (junk or good stuff) wont do it. I have an SP friend that has an 8 ;) pack all the time. sigh...shaking head....he eats lots... of everything. shaking head...
Also weights can increase your testosterone(in men and women) so this helps put on mass in general.
A good protein shake is beneficial after a workout, but over use can cause you to be lactose intolerant(milk proteins are hard break down in the human gut)....so dont replace your meat proteins with it just add to them.

Last edited: