How Can I Gain Weight? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

How Can I Gain Weight?

You know, you may be like me. My metabolism is incredibly high and no matter what I do I can't gain weight. My BMI is 15.4 and while that is drastically underweight my doctor tells me that it is healthy and normal for me. I suggest consulting a doctor about this issue. That'll give you a little more insight as what you should be doing, if anything.

I'm exactly like you, 15.5 and fast metabolism. Any weight I do gain gets cannibalised by my body.

Have you talked with a doctor? Because relying solely on BMI to decide that you are in an unhealthy stage is not advisable. BMI is too inaccurate. Maybe for your body construction this low BMI is still healthy. You make the impression of very healthy and active person, not underweight. You have the right amount of appetite, and probably very fast metabolism. That's not unhealthy; that's the most healthy way to be. - just my thoughts..

To be unhealthily underweight would mean to get blackouts, to can't catch your breath when too pressured etc, that's where it means you are going in the red zone.

Last edited:
Have you talked with a doctor? Because relying solely on BMI to decide that you are in an unhealthy stage is not advisable. BMI is too inaccurate. Maybe for your body construction this low BMI is still healthy. You make the impression of very healthy and active person, not underweight. You have the right amount of appetite, and probably very fast metabolism. That's not unhealthy; that's the most healthy way to be. - just my thoughts..

To be unhealthily underweight would mean to get blackouts, to can't catch your breath when too pressured etc, that's where it means you are going in the red zone.

I'm 46.5 kg or 102 lbs. Trust me, that's underweight.

And I'm horrified, that's sure. But that's just a number. If you feel great and healthy - better talk with a doctor first. If you don't feel healthy, that's another story. The number alone should not be your main reason.

How about this, have a strict diet for about a week or so and eat very little, then gorge yourself as a reward. The lack of food in the diet will slow your metabolism, so then when you gorge yourself, you will retain more of the food you ate. (this is a good way to gain a little fat)

Although I would go the weight training route personally, and increasing protein consumption in things like milk and cheese and such. Also, Bananas contain an enzyme bromelain which can increase testosterone levels, and may help you get bigger.

Last edited:
And I'm horrified, that's sure. But that's just a number. If you feel great and healthy - better talk with a doctor first. If you don't feel healthy, that's another story. The number alone should not be your main reason.
He doesn't have much of an appetite, and he eats pretty small portions.

Step 1, breakfast should consist of two fried eggs, three to four biscuits with gravy, and four to six pieces of bacon.

Step 2, lunch should consist of fried chicken and waffles with syrup.

Step 3, snack on ice cream and snickers bars

Step 4, Dinner, eat a nice thick steak with baked potato, sauteed mushrooms with onions and peppers on the side

Don't be rabbit peckin at any of that either, eat like a horse and you'll get to be as big as one eventually.

I think this sounds like the recipe for heart disease..

Funnily enough, it was never confirmed that its saturated fats that have the main source and cause of heart disease, and there have even been both studies in lab and putting one town of native people on a special diet involving animal fats from whole foods to suggest otherwise now. It was mostly just assumed at one point and everyone agreed without further detailed study. Carbohydrates and stress seem to be coming up as main sources now. Seems that the combination of the 2 (AKA, fried and battered foods) is what makes our hearts' kryptonite.

If I can find a link to the documentary or an article of it I will. There was also a study done on baboons out in the wild where the lower down on the pecking order you were, the more stressed out you were and then from that: the more plaque was the baboons' arteries. They weren't exactly eating bacon and fried chicken everyday, and yet the plaque build up in their arteries was enormous. Full on heart disease.

BUT I DIGRESS:
Skathac's diet might kill Chaz simply but causing him to explode, let along the fried sugary doom of it XD. Some of that sounded super tasty though. <3 Skathac.

Funnily enough, it was never confirmed that its saturated fats that have the main source and cause of heart disease, and there have even been both studies in lab and putting one town of native people on a special diet involving animal fats from whole foods to suggest otherwise now. It was mostly just assumed at one point and everyone agreed without further detailed study. Carbohydrates and stress seem to be coming up as main sources now. Seems that the combination of the 2 (AKA, fried and battered foods) is what makes our hearts' kryptonite.

If I can find a link to the documentary or an article of it I will. There was also a study done on baboons out in the wild where the lower down on the pecking order you were, the more stressed out you were and then from that: the more plaque was the baboons' arteries. They weren't exactly eating bacon and fried chicken everyday, and yet the plaque build up in their arteries was enormous. Full on heart disease.

BUT I DIGRESS:
Skathac's diet might kill Chaz simply but causing him to explode, let along the fried sugary doom of it XD. Some of that sounded super tasty though. <3 Skathac.

I was mainly addressing all the fried business going on for that diet, not the animal fat :)

I would like to read it if you can find it. This sort of stuff interests me.

I was mainly addressing all the fried business going on for that diet, not the animal fat :)

I would like to read it if you can find it. This sort of stuff interests me.
Yus I gathered but I couldn't help myself XD. I'll find the baboon thing too if I can. Sucks though, these are on tv documentaries so finding them again online is really hard, even if you just want the info provided and not the show itself.

OKay, found the PBS info article on teh show:
http://www.pbs.org/stress/
and some more info:
http://killerstress.stanford.edu/
Not sure how complete the clips are though :(, dunno if it actually gets to the results of the research or if it just shows the beginning of the stuff.

I'll look for the diet on humans research later.

I am on a similar case when it comes to BMI, I am aware that I have a metabolism, however, doctors have told me it is perfectly healthy. I think the same might apply to you and that this is actually a case of metabolism. Body frame might also play a major role, if you are small framed (you can get this by measuring your wrist circumference) then you would naturally weight less then a person with a bigger frame. Frame size has no correlation with height. Also, as long as you are eating healthy and are not changing your diet in a negative way, then I really don't see the problem unless this has been impacting your health.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

Last edited:
Well, if you want to gain healthy weight, depending on your stance, you can always take protein supplements and start weight-lifting and exercising on a regular basis. I did that last year, lost some fat, gained a lot of muscle and weight in return.

Also, you can try making friends with whole wheat pasta, since you seem like a pasta kind of guy.

I'm with enfpcanbeshy on this one. Have you had your thyroid checked, Chaz? If you have an over-active thyroid or other medical condition, you'd be better off on a specialized plan than taking advice from folks with limited insight into your situation.

Still, if common sense has anything to say, eating healthy foods high in caloric content seems to be the way to go. Fruits, nuts, and whole-wheat products are a great start. I heard you mention you were vegetarian; perhaps consider going lacto-ovo (if you aren't already) for a while and fill up on the dairy and get your solid protein from egg products.

If you aren't already working out, I wouldn't advise you to start now until you understand why you have trouble gaining weight like this, though. There's a chance you might lose weight before you gain anything when you start working out.

Last edited:
Yus I gathered but I couldn't help myself XD. I'll find the baboon thing too if I can. Sucks though, these are on tv documentaries so finding them again online is really hard, even if you just want the info provided and not the show itself.

OKay, found the PBS info article on teh show:
http://www.pbs.org/stress/
and some more info:
http://killerstress.stanford.edu/
Not sure how complete the clips are though :(, dunno if it actually gets to the results of the research or if it just shows the beginning of the stuff.

I'll look for the diet on humans research later.

Thank you very much :)

Thank you very much :)
The guy who did the baboon research wrote a book on stress and health too:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Why-Zebras-Dont-Get-Ulcers/dp/0716732106"]Amazon.com: Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers: An Updated Guide to…[/ame]
I think I might have to get that one.

I will probably end up reading this, I could do without my ulcers. Oh stress, please leave my life.
Yeah, me too. I worry about worrying on top of it all.

ANYWAYS: no more derails.
Chaz needs to gain weight, insert helpful advice here:

He doesn't have much of an appetite, and he eats pretty small portions.
I only assumed Chaz has healthy appetite (eats regularly, even if little), because of:
Nuh uh. I'm way too hungry at breakfast.
In my mind there could be different reasons for why Chaz's weight is so low, but I think it's more important to know why, before forcing the gain of weight (if that doesn't come naturally).

I think this sounds like the recipe for heart disease..

That was just a response to "How can I gain weight", that diet would cause just about anyone to gain weight. Gaining weight healthily...different story.

Haha I hate people like you... I'm a 5'7 woman at 121lbs and I do my best to keep it that way and my brother, like you, is 5'8 and super skinny and can't seem to gain weight. He's also a vegetarian so eating nothing but tofu and veggies doesn't help but I think you just need to eat FAT FAT FAT. Ice cream and shakes and anything that has protein in it.. I would eat LOTS of pasta with mounds of cheese on it. That's my vice:mhula: