Has the world been better off with you in it? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Has the world been better off with you in it?

I believe because I am still young, I haven't had the chance to contribute anything significant to the human race.
But soon I will.

I think this is a common fallacy. Being young doesn't mean you can't make significant and enormous contributions. You could be be in this world only 5 secs and have a lasting, immeasurable positive impact or effect on your family, the community, or the world.

And our value can't simply be reduced to what we consciously do or don't do to better the world. There are myriad ways we help or contribute without realizing it.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to help develop a drug that is saving lives. So, maybe this balances out the environmental damage of my existence.

Indirectly, I've helped my wife succeed as a physician and researcher, and she has definitely saved lives.

Also indirectly, we raised two sons who are both good and productive in their work and contributing to the well-being of society.

The bottom line is you start with good intentions, you do your best and, if you're lucky, you'll have justified your existence. You do what you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jexocuha
better. Without me, naxx and lucifer would not have married.

I have also made many people smile and laugh. I also sponsor four children through world vision and saved a ladies life back in '06... Umm, I taught my 7 year old cousin the joy of literature by reading him poe as a bedtime story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've left a significant impact on those who've met me, and I know I have on my friends, not on the earth as a whole(YET).

I don't expect to make any significant difference to the world as a whole, but I hope to be a positive impact on my friends and family and anyone else I happen upon. Rather than trying to change the world and failing, I would like to make peoples lives more pleasant in any way I can, and make any scientific advances I can. At the moment I think my impact has been negative. I caused my parents extreme stress for a couple years in high school and was probably mean or just stressful to many people before I got the hang of socializing. Now that I've been through all that growing up emotional self centered crap I hope to even it out eventually. :)

You've been an occupant on earth for a number of years now, do you feel those years have been more of a benefit to or a drain on your fellow human beings? Or has your existence made no significant difference at all?

My existence has made a difference, but I don't attempt to place judgments on the quality of the difference. I think that total picture is bigger than I can see.

Reactions: Jexocuha and rawr
and with 6 billion people on earth, how much impact could one person have, really?
m075.gif
Depends on what they do.

I've certainly been a huge drain on my parents, I know it for certain. My orthodontic treatment (thats braces and retainers ect) cost them a whopping 25 grand from the age of 7 till 14. Also I still live under their roof, and while I pay rent and buy my own food, I am still an emotional drain not to mention a real annoyance with me starting work at 4am, and generally being loud and messing without intention. I try to not impact them as much as possible, but I've been a real detriment to them overall. You don't have to be a criminal to be a drain.

As for other people? nah, no difference either way. Sure I might make someone happy when I'm around on occasion, but I don't think I've ever improved a life. I know I've made some people more worse for wear too, and that always seems to stick around.

Lastly, a lot of what I've ever done has sort of been blow away like so much dust, the results of what I've volunteered for or people I've tried to make friends with just sort of either fade away like they never existed, or forget I did.

So far, I have made a small and mostly positive impact on a handful of individual lives. I am currently in school to change that, though, and eventually; I will be making more of a difference.

I think, yes, in a small way I have made the world a better place. I've always been one to stand up for those who need it and fight against the injustice in this world. I think my work, in a small way, helps improve worldwide understanding (I work in the study abroad office at a large university, and help sends college kids abroad to learn about cultural difference and become more tolerant, independent and flexible).

However, there have certainly been times when I've caused people pain, as well. And of course I generate trash and use electricity and water, etc... I try to be as environmentally friendly as possible, but I freely admit that I could do more. It's something I'm working on.

You've been an occupant on earth for a number of years now, do you feel those years have been more of a benefit to or a drain on your fellow human beings? Or has your existence made no significant difference at all?

I haven't been any more of a burden on society than any other child or teenager. I haven't done anything of detriment to our society, nor have I done anything outstandingly good. I have made no impact.

i make a difference, and i know this because i make a point to. no frikken way will the world forget old jgirl. not on your life!

I haven't been any more of a burden on society than any other child or teenager. I haven't done anything of detriment to our society, nor have I done anything outstandingly good. I have made no impact.

i think if you consider that a bit you'll realize that is a flawed statement. your being alive makes an impact. you are here, i am responding to you, you have made an impact. earlier i told you in a message that you have piqued my curiosity. how is that not making an impact.
i think you are too modest. :p

I hope so.

I'll let those left behind determine the answer to that question.

Yes, absolutely. There have been several occasions where I've been close to death, and there is nothing like facing death to give you a very clear evaluation of your life -- I can leave this world in peace knowing I lived well.