Do You Walk Softly? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do You Walk Softly?

"...a firm watch on..."

I like to walk in a straight line, my heel planted directly in front of my toe. I do not do this all the time but when aware, it is a priority. For years moving swiftly through the work day was second nature (or first nature) but of late moving more deliberately brings more satisfaction. A few years ago a work mate commented that my movements through the building were intense and it scared her a little. Perhaps being too focused on what's going on inside and not being aware of the faces and feelings around me.

Yup, and I often slip away from the crowd, disappear and reappear to scare people.

I don't walk loudly but I walk rather quickly most of the time.
Same, though sometimes it's nice to walk slowly and be able to observe nature in all its beauty around you. I do put my foot down rather hard when I'm walking quickly and sometimes, I stare down at the pavement, which, I swear, makes me have this really intense look on my face. There is a sense of scary determination and purpose in how I walk. I doubt anyone notices, which is just as well really because I probably look as if I could murder someone! :D

Last edited:
I'm a clomp-er, i take my space and defend it. But I also wear boots usually, when I am wearing sneakers I walk much more deftly.

I'm a clomp-er, i take my space and defend it. But I also wear boots usually, when I am wearing sneakers I walk much more deftly.
You seem like an INFJ, who chooses to exist in his shadow ESTP most of the time. That seems to be the case with other male INFJs too.

Similarly, many ENFP males choose to turn to the ISTJ 'dark side', because it is more T. Just an observation, hope nobody minds.

Last edited:
You seem like an INFJ, who chooses to exist in his shadow ESTP most of the time. That seems to be the case with other male INFJs too.

Similarly, many ENFP males choose to turn to the ISTJ 'dark side', because it is more T. Just an observation, hope nobody minds.

I don't think this is very common. It takes a lot of strain for someone to fully go shadow and "exist" there. Also, there isn't a strong corralation between this whole walking/noise relation in my opinon. At least in a way it can be put into words. I think body language is more indicitive of a type then this alone.

I have reason to believe billy is not INFJ, going by what I have observed on the forums, test results, and photographs. No idea what other types could be possible (ISFJ or ISTP perhaps?), but yeah I don't think INFJ fit's well. (I mean no offence by this).

looks like a bunch of us INFJs walk at a fast pace and quietly, hmmm...

...I also carry a big stick.

Edit: Oh wait, that's speak softly... ah well, I don't walk but I wheel with consideration.

Last edited:
I tread as softly as a ninja. People are always surprised when I suddenly appear behind them.

Unless I'm about to be late to something I walk at an unhurried, leisurely pace. I like to think about things as a walk. What's the hurry, you know?

can we please add a public multi choice poll to this just so we have a good survey on this?

something with choices like this:

fast paced
slow paced
medium paced
depends on my mood
depends on what i'm doing/where i'm going
quietly
loudly
softly
sharply

etc.

by the way, i'm only five two and i can outwalk almost everyone i know :D

without even trying. :D

hah interesting question

i' get the same odd comment from different people
that i'm sort of a gust of wind
whenever i pass by
though no one sees me
or a rush of cold air.

and people telling me i always just appear out of nowhere

i used to have running shoes that somehow sounded like high heels back then but i don't wear them anymore.

Oh, this is me, I walk fast (usually) and stealthy. I am typically the biggest person in the room and it shocks people how fast and quiet I am, I can walk within inches of their personal space and they don't know I'm even walking past them.

I walk quickly. I must not walk that quietly because my co-workers have commented they knew I was coming by the fast pace of the approaching footsteps. I think I get task-focused at work and so I can be kind of oblivious to my physical environment.

I know I tended to move very quietly when I was younger. It was at least in part a response to living with an abusive step-mother. I wanted draw as little attention as possible.

I don't think I've ever thought of muffling my footsteps as a social courtesy.

I walk quickly for the most part, especially if I have somewhere to go. If I don't, I walk a little slower. I don't know how loud my steps are, though -- I think they might vary. I don't really notice things like that; when I'm walking, I'm usually either talking with someone or thinking.

But if there's other noises that are caused by me when I walk, it kind of embarrasses me -- jingly keys and clicky heels draw too much attention sometimes.

I'm going to yes for this one, because I do tend to sneak up on people unintentionally...however, I do walk in a very firm manner, I dont walk fast, I have a rythm to my walk, and each step is sure and solid...so it depends on the shoes, if i'm wearing heals, yes you'll hear clanks, but they'll have a steady rythm to them, if i'm wearing flat shoes then I won't make a sound...and I usually end up scaring people by "showing up so suddenly"

I walk neither quietly nor loudly. It is just a happy medium. Same with the speed, though it is probably a bit towards the slow side.
I do have this one pair of shoes that kind of squeek when I walk, and the fact that I'm making so much noise bothers me.