Do you consider yourself a good person? | INFJ Forum

Do you consider yourself a good person?

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
Do you see yourself as a good person? Does it matter to you?

Do you think good and bad can even be defined objectively enough to categorize behavior as one or the other?

And from where have you obtained your sense of morality? Do you think people are inherently good/inherently bad, or is it shaped by how their families and greater society raises them?

Yes, I think I see myself as a good person, if we won't be talking about relations. In relations are involved feelings and principles, which sometimes can be understood as a part of bad wishing, but it is a part of some relations which simply sometimes have higher or lower points, but in general to me it is very important to be and to have good people around me.
Yes, i think bad wishing is bad and good wishing is good. And those categories can be more difficult like selfishness is bad, and helpful people are good.
I think it is very important to show for very small kid goodness of behaviour that he can give to other people. Morality is tought thing I think. But it is very important that the kid would see it from very small age.

No ,i don't think I'm a particularly good person.

I mean I don't lie or steal and I put others before myself, but not out of any moral fortitude. It's just easier and less stressful to not do those things. Andi'm apathetic enough about most things that it's very easy to put other people before myself, because it just doesn't matter to me either way. I think given the right context, I probably could lie, cheat, and be utterly selfish. I mean it really depends on how you define a good person. My actions, objectively, make me seem like a good person. I volunteer at soup kitchens and nursing homes. I hold doors open for people and give up my seats to senior citizens and pregnant woman on buses without fail. I'm exceedingly polite. I look everyone in the eye when I speak to them and i'm a good listener.

But I think all sorts of foul judgmental things about people. I'm pretty arrogant in my own quiet way. I'm lazy. I'm lustful. But most of those qualities are not as readily apparent as my actions. So I guess it boils down to what you judge a person by, their actions or their motives. i'm a nice person because it makes MY life better to be a nice person, but that doesn't really make me a GOOD person, does it?

I'm not sure how this is defined. There was another thread also about integrity. Those are very artificial terms. To me, all people are deluding themselves, believing that they are good/bad or have or don't have integrity. Those descriptions are absurd and do not fit the physical reality well. Moreover, in practice, such terms keep people busy with self-policing each other, and generally weak and limited. A lot of "good" people have killed or punished a lot of "bad" people, and to me this is unacceptable. I like to think of myself as open-minded and reasonable, rather than good and having integrity. People who strongly insist on their own integrity and goodness often become bigots and defenders of dogmatic thinking, without even realizing it. Insisting on others having integrity is limiting them. And unnatural. Otherwise, it was going to work by itself and not by so much (unsuccessful) enforcement.

Last edited:
I think there is such a thing as a good person, someone who does good by everyone and never "intends" to hurt or harm. Strives to do the right thing always, etc. But there is a slight caveat - even with the best of intentions, we're not always good.

Do you think good and bad can even be defined objectively enough to categorize behavior as one or the other?
Yes, I do. It sees to me that even those who object to the terminology still make such distinctions and categorizations, even if their distinctions are broader, or just different, they are still present.

Do you think people are inherently good/inherently bad, or is it shaped by how their families and greater society raises them?
I like Dostoyevski's position about spite versus conditioning or genetic influence.

Last edited:
Do you see yourself as a good person?

No, and I hope never to succumb to such a moral smugness, nor to agree to a self-assessment where I am reduced to such a mediocrity.

cheers,
Ian

I think I would want a more scientific definition of 'good' and 'evil' first. Those two things are terribly abstract. I mean, I understand both ideas equally but I'm a transexual. A third of the population of my home country would call me flat out evil.

I keep my promises. I love wholeheartedly. I don't see much need to lie. I'm still a sexual deviant but I go far out of my way not to hurt people besides myself. It might be too vague a question to establish an answer to that would hold up under scrutiny.

I'm a person that tries to be. Whether or not that merits rounding up the decimal point to a "Yes." is up to the beholder.

By my standards? Yes. By the standards of many others? No.

Does it matter to you?
Yes, but being honest is more important.

Not without an objective moral authority.

And from where have you obtained your sense of morality?
Reason + intuitions about God + cultural norms

Do you think people are inherently good/inherently bad, or is it shaped by how their families and greater society raises them?
I think people are inherently bad and are either engineered towards acting in opposition to or in accordance with that.

Last edited:

I think I'm a good person because I want to be a good person and, consequently, try to be. To me, intention has everything in the world to do with it. I mean, I still am a horrible person at the same time. I'm human. My temper flares. I can be lazy. I'm always thinking, in retrospect, I should've done this, I should've done that. But it just goes back to trying to be good.

It reminds me of a scene from the movie Driving Lessons. The main character's father is a priest or a preacher or something, and in the sermon he talks about how people are always asking him if they're real Christians and how he answers them. It's not that I'm saying that being a Christian and doing good are the same thing. It's just a very similar concept.

Ask yourselves this question: How is a person truly free until they can think and act for themselves? God gave us free will so we could choose His love. You see, He wanted us to understand our commitment, to be grown-up about it.

If you say to me, "Am I a Christian?", I say to you, if you strive to do good, then you're a Christian. If you do not seek to hurt or betray others, you're a Christian. If you are true to yourself and treat others as you'd have them treat you, you're a Christian. The more a person parades their Christianity for the benefit of others, the less I am inclined to trust the Christianity they claim to bring.

God tells us, true faith is the freedom to choose truth. How you express that--the way, the manner, the means at your disposal--these things are of no consequence, be you Christian or atheist, unless in your heart you are true.

No. Like I mentioned above, I think it has everything in the world to do with intention. For example, if a friend of mine was being insensitive to my feelings and did something to offend me without realizing it, I would try my best not to get angry. I always remind myself that no one tries to be a bad person--well, most people don't. They simply sometimes have lapses in judgement and are momentarily selfish or self-centered. But I do the same thing, so I can't find fault in those actions.

And from where have you obtained your sense of morality? Do you think people are inherently good/inherently bad, or is it shaped by how their families and greater society raises them?

I honestly don't know where I obtained my sense of morality. I'll just go ahead and say it: I did not grow up in a home with the kind of moral standards I hold myself to. I mean, my parents were very vocal about their conservative political beliefs, but my father had a lot of commitment issues and my mother was sort of socialized to be a bit prejudiced against certain things and people. I went to church and Sunday school as a child, but I never really paid attention closely enough or was educated well enough to be able to claim that my sense of morality is religion-based. I don't know if I would say it, however, is entirely inherent, either. Perhaps I learned from books. I did, after all, grow up with the Harry Potter generation, and it does not seem too outlandish for me to say that J. K. Rowling really made an impression on the person I turned out to be.

I have also heard, however, that people have generally learned the basis of their moral standards by the time they are five-years-old. So... Who knows?

Edit: Oh, and I think people are inherently sort of good and evil. It is instinct both to love (reproduction) and to hate (self-preservation). I think when we are young selfishness comes much more easily; love is a very complex emotion while hatred is fairly simple. You'll notice a child is quick to tell a lie to evade a punishment without ever having the concept explained to him and that laughter flows freely when he observes another falling on his face. However, it is a much more miraculous thing to see a child turn to another and share a toy without saying a word or giving it a second thought.

Last edited:
to the first, yes and no, some of both- we all have both good and bad sides. and yes, it does matter to me.
to the second, i think we can come up with an extremely broad/tentative/weak definition, but the reality is, a lot of people wouldn't agree on it. In my mind, yes. IRL, no.
To the third: my parent, my faith, (and my private school education when it lasted). I believe people are inherently bad. i know people would love to disagree, but that's my opinion.

I would say all people are inherently good, yet imperfect. I believe that we're all born pure. As we live our lives, we make many decisions, good and bad. I make some good decisions and some bad ones. I'm trying to make more good decisions. Sometimes I feel like I'm not trying hard enough.

My sense of morality has been influenced by my faith, my parents, teachers, friends, society etc, but has not been created by any of those factors. It has been created by my own heart and mind by processing all of the above and taking what I feel is important when it comes to morality and leaving what I feel is unimportant.

Last edited:
I am a good person who makes numerous amounts of mistakes. I also believe that people are inherently good.

I try to be, and am inclined to say yes. I try to base my entire persona around absolute fairness, so I would hope that that translates to being a good person.

I'm a whole person in a sense that I have the good and the bad side of my personality. I don't think it can ever be only one, just that one could take prevalence over the other.

It matters to me (my own definition of what I am) because in my opinion believing that we are only good or bad makes us emotionally unstable, makes us prone to bad judgments, makes us reckless and careless. Being aware and in peace with both sides, being aware of your own demons as well as angels is of the utmost importance, in my opinion, for us to develop and stay stable and mature individuals.

I don't think that good and bad could be defined objectively enough simply because world is not black and white, but filled with shades of gray, and the truth about anything is always a mixture of black and white, thus always inherently gray.

Sense of morality is shaped by our upbringing and social setting and also by our internal view of the world.

All these questions reminded me of Crime and punishment because it is my idea that some of these questions Dostoyevsky tried to answer in his books and I do believe that his answer strongly correlate with what I think of morality in people and the good/bad part of it.

I would say yes, but I wouldn't really mean it. To consider yourself inherently good is a dangerous thing because it can mean you stop trying. After all, what else can be improved if you yourself think you are good, who could be a higher authority?

I would say yes, but I wouldn't really mean it. To consider yourself inherently good is a dangerous thing because it can mean you stop trying. After all, what else can be improved if you yourself think you are good, who could be a higher authority?
I disagree. I believe being good is a continuous conscious action. You have to strive to be good, and people don't need to have a high authority to continue to do the right thing. The drive from within is sufficient enough for a number of people, myself included.