Do you care about growing old? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you care about growing old?

Are you afraid of getting old and becoming reliant on other people to wipe your ass?

No, considering the alternative. If I'm demented, who cares about who wipes my ass. It's worse to be the paid wiper than the paying wipee. As is said in OZ, "Adventure before dementia." Rhymes in 'stralian.

I hope I die before le revolution and I hope I die before Terminators roam the earth.
Could you imagine being old and decrepit while Terminators run amock? Absolute terror.

Reactions: bamf
No, considering the alternative. If I'm demented, who cares about who wipes my ass. It's worse to be the paid wiper than the paying wipee. As is said in OZ, "Adventure before dementia." Rhymes in 'stralian.

lol true. Might as well enjoy it. Get them to shove in some anal beads if your anus doesn't work properly...

I hope I die before le revolution and I hope I die before Terminators roam the earth.
Could you imagine being old and decrepit while Terminators run amock? Absolute terror.

I think that would be scary...but equally exciting and cool. Though, if one were senile you'd probably end up as Terminator skin graft material.

No, I don't care because old is a state of mind IMO. Mind you, if you want your body to keep functioning at a healthy pace you need to start young. Once your body starts deteriorating (happens when you become an adult - 22, maybe?) then you're set on maintenance 'til death.

Junk food, bad sleep habits, not enough water, too much TV/non-productive mental stimuli, etc...all this plays a role and catches up to you when you're older. If you use good habits now it'll help, but there are no guarantees if you abuse your body now.

Me, I sort of like the idea of getting older and growing up as long as my mind is focused and sharp. If I get around a little slower so be it, as long as I can get to where I need to go independently.

I'm totally for the independent status.

But truth is, no one lives forever and the body does deteriorate. Some deteriorate faster than others, that's all.

As long as I can still do everything I enjoy and am not in pain, then I'm not bothered :)

Are you afraid of getting old and becoming reliant on other people to wipe your ass? Well really, who would like that...but what about feeling and looking old?

Will you fight to keep your youthfulness?

Yes, really afraid.

I hope I am already dead before someone need to wipe my ass and feed me food. I don't mind bungee jumping until I have a heart attack or going to some really dangerous places on earth when I think I have lived long enough.

Feeling old, sure it hurts seeing yourself can no longer walk as far as you did last year.

Looking old, not so much.

Fight? No, it is futile.

Reminds me of an old dog in the past. I saw it walked away from the other dogs, alone to the trees at the back of the house in the afternoon. It didn't come back for dinner and we found its body lying there in the trees.

Get off my lawn you damn terminator! I'll show you a thing or two! :boxing:

I don't mind the idea of becoming elderly as long as I can function on my own. Live in my own home, be able to go out.

I have over the past couple of years assumed the parenting role for my Mother, who will be 91 this coming April.
While she still lives at home, she can't go anywhere on her own.
Lots of doctor appointments, I do her shopping, laundry, etc.
I stop by everyday after work to get her mail and check up on her.

I don't mind, she cared for me for many years so I see it as returning the effort.
It is hard to do all these things and still allow her to feel she has some control over her life.

But yeah, the terminators could tend to ruin your day.

:D

I have over the past couple of years assumed the parenting role for my Mother, who will be 91 this coming April.
While she still lives at home, she can't go anywhere on her own.
Lots of doctor appointments, I do her shopping, laundry, etc.
I stop by everyday after work to get her mail and check up on her.
This describes the exact situation my grandmother is in, and what I do for her. I love my grandma, and don't give the actions a second thought. I like helping her out. However, it's apparent she's slipped into depression because of her lack of mobility/sociability. She's ready to die, and I can only hope that it comes soon for her.

I love spending time with her, but I hate to see her in such emotional pain (let alone physical). She always puts on the best 'happy' performance she can when family is around, but I know she's hurting.

This is the type of old I fear becoming.

It's great all that you do for your mother!

This describes the exact situation my grandmother is in, and what I do for her. I love my grandma, and don't give the actions a second thought. I like helping her out. However, it's apparent she's slipped into depression because of her lack of mobility/sociability. She's ready to die, and I can only hope that it comes soon for her.

I love spending time with her, but I hate to see her in such emotional pain (let alone physical). She always puts on the best 'happy' performance she can when family is around, but I know she's hurting.

This is the type of old I fear becoming.

It's great all that you do for your mother!

You then know exactly where I am coming from.
My Mother certainly fights depression.
She battles it by getting up every morning, getting fully dressed including getting made up with her make-up. She used to sell the stuff for Merle Norman for over 30 years.
"You never know who may come to the door." she says. LOL!
She will now and then say fatalistic things. Implying that she is of no use to anybody.

I wish all the best for your Grandma.

As long as I can still do everything I enjoy and am not in pain, then I'm not bothered :)

I'm not sure how to break this to you but...........

---------------------------------------------------------
On the subject of old folks, My dad is 83 and healthy as a horse, seriously he looks younger then people 20 years younger then him, very jolly to not even close to being depressed from what I can see. I really hope this in the genes

Last edited:
two things.

I have every intention of being a wise old man, because let's face it their Bad Ass.

second, More then anything else I fear alzheimer's. I don't want to forget.
You should look forward to getting old. The other world is supposed to be infinitely better than this flawed one we live in.

I don't fear getting old(er) really...I rather like it in some ways. What is more shocking is coming to a point where one realizes that certain dreams probably will never come true and all those goals and plans we had for ourselves will come to nothing.

You point out very clearly how I am feeling at this point in my life, and I am almost 40. I know it's not really "old" but I'm definitely looking behind me now, at several aspects of the opportunities of youth...

So yea, it's a hard pill to swallow and accept, that many dreams, just may never come true, or that maybe I will not get the chance to try them. That does kinda hurt; it's like stepping outside of yourself, and seeing yourself for the first time, falling behind in a way to youth. Stepping aside. All the while, having it dawn on you that there's no stepping back inside because the pace is faster than you can trust yourself to keep up with now...

im a man, i get better every day i age

I just thought, that i wouldn't mind ageing nearly so much - maybe not at all - if I knew I'd found 'the one' to share it with. So I suppose the fear of having noone in old age is the real fear.

Yeah, as two of the older members I really respect what you and Random have to say Ria! I am older than you, and not as old as Random. But I have both your perspecitves! It's about the bigger questions now, figuring it out now!! The mudane things are not as important!