Do you care about growing old? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you care about growing old?

I don't care about getting wrinkly or anything, hell, I already have plenty of white hairs in my beard and on my head. I worry about losing mental acuity and a certain reasonable degree of physical vitality. I mean, I know I won't be running a marathon at 80, but if I need a walker to get across the room and I can't hold down a decent, relevant conversation, I'll be.... sad.

My grandmother set the precedent. Even though she couldn't drive herself anymore, she still took continuing ed classes at a local university well into her 80's, and was sharp as a tack. And after my grandfather died, she still lived in her apartment and got along fine until the end. Never went to a retirement community or old folks home or anything. So, she set the bar...

your 30's and 40's are your best years of your life...

That remains to be seen.

I don't fear it at all, physically or mentally.

I love aging. I learn so much stuff.

Are you afraid of getting old and becoming reliant on other people to wipe your ass? Well really, who would like that...but what about feeling and looking old?

Will you fight to keep your youthfulness?

I fight to help my aging parents keep their dignity. They see this. They appreciate it. I see through their eyes a lot. They do not like being a burden, but I know they love to be loved.

I do often wonder if someone will help take care of me should I become their age. It will then be when I truly see things similarly. Reaching a milestone of 80 and living on must be rewarding, but my Dad says it is not for "the weak of heart" which is a way of saying what he says without using the word.

Banning a technology effectively gives other countries increased incentive to spend money on it.

Nothing short of a deadly pandemic, a meteor strike, or full scale nuclear war can stop the march of technological advancement.
Would that increase of incentive make up for the fact that the U.S. has a lot more money to spend?

Do you care about getting old?

I now kind of dread old age after seeing what they go through at the old folks home. One of their biggest complaints was that people treated them like babies. They felt like they were being talked down to. And really, for the most part, they were. Bath day was a bad, bad day for most of them. A lot of them seemed a bit traumatized afterwards, depending on what attendant they got. ugh
Another complaint was that people weren't patient with them. So, they encountered quite a few condescending and impatient personalities on a daily basis.
Every single one of those old folks at one time or another said to me that old age is not a stroll in the park.
I admired their bravery so much and they gave me hope that I would get through it as well.

There are alternatives to the old folks home and I intend to exercise every one of them. I've had to fight at times to stay in my own home in the community--but I've won every battle and intend to keep doing so. Home healthcare aides can be condescending and impatient too, but you can fire them.

Do you care about getting old?

your 30's and 40's are your best years of your life...
I was certainly very busy during my 30s and 40s but it's my 60s I'm thinking are the best so far.

I'd hope to live to at least 75 in good health. After that, so be it.

I don't see technology doing much in the next long while to prolong life any longer than 100, mostly because of the difficulty to cure or treat brain illnesses.

As for youthful looks, I'd like to look and be as healthy as I can, but as I grow older I'm willing to accept the inevitable gray hairs, lost hairs, wrinkles, etc..that's life.

I mainly hope to be a naturally healthy, naturally-aged looking man. After about 60 or so I probably won't care about sex much, so then I'll just focus on retaining my ability to hold my poo until I reach the toilet...or should I say the 'Urine and Fecal Matter Eradicator Tube', as it will most likely be called in the future - The Ufmet.

"Who shit all over the Ufmet? Was it you again, Grampa?"
"Yeah it was me. Do you mind zapping it off with the Lazer Wiper, sonny? Thanks so much.."

Downtime at work makes me type stupid things. :md:

Last edited:
Reactions: sumone
I'm not looking for old age, but I am looking forward for maturity.

That's why it'd be wonderful if there's a way to gain the latter without the former.

Even though I'm young, I already feel old and weary. So in a sense, I don't really care anymore.

Getting old? Not really. Needing to rely on people? Yes! Absolutely. The last thing I want is to feel helpless and dependent on others. As long I retain some measure of self sufficiency though I'll probably be alright.

Getting old? Not really. Needing to rely on people? Yes! Absolutely. The last thing I want is to feel helpless and dependent on others. As long I retain some measure of self sufficiency though I'll probably be alright.

I agree with that. The loss of independence scares me more than anything else.

two things.

I have every intention of being a wise old man, because let's face it their Bad Ass.

second, More then anything else I fear alzheimer's. I don't want to forget.

Last edited:
The day I can't think, or the day that I can never physically get myself from place to place is the day that I want to die. When I have to depend on people's help to get me too and from the bathroom, life would have little value to me.

I don't fear getting old, but I refuse to ever completely grow up. I don't mean partying all the time, but making a little mischief is always good. I put enjoyment (mine/other-people's) before anything else. When I'm too old to 'play', I'll be too old to be alive.

I look forward to it.