Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs | Page 14 | INFJ Forum

Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs

Yeah, you are an INFJ Ria. As VH has said several times, we learn to use more than just Ni and Fe as we (INFJ's) age. I also have good use of Ne and Ti. I can use Se fairly well too, but have to make a conscious effort. This can make us appear at different times as other types. Add in our stress "shadow" modes, and its no wonder people can get confused.

I go back to two basic questions. What type do you most identify with in the MBTI descriptions? What type do you think you are under normal circumstances? For me, the answer is INFJ to both.

Thanks Keith, after reading up both descriptions for INFP and INFJ, I still believe I identify more so with INFJ. What I am doing really, is listing what relates to me in each type, and the INFJ list is longer. Both share Ni and empathy, but my take on it, is that the empathy derived to each type, arrived by different routes. Fe and Fi are certainly different with each type, and as you and I have discussed before, the fact that we are older members, definitely has a big part to play. I'm still feeling somewhat unsatisfied, but I'm just going to leave it for my Ni to work out throughout the day, lol.

I still have no idea what my type is, just that I know my Ti and Te scores are relatively low to the rest of my functions, my Se is higher than both my Ni and Ne, and my Fi and Fe are higher than anything else. When I read descriptions of types, I find bits and pieces I can relate to (especially INFJ, ENFJ, INFP, and ENFP) but none seem more encompassing than the others. In the end, I don't know my type, but I'm kinda okay with that.

As for Ria, for as little as I know about MBTI and functions, I'm pretty sure you're an INFJ. Actually, that and the personality type of amazing/awesome.

I still have no idea what my type is, just that I know my Ti and Te scores are relatively low to the rest of my functions, my Se is higher than both my Ni and Ne, and my Fi and Fe are higher than anything else. When I read descriptions of types, I find bits and pieces I can relate to (especially INFJ, ENFJ, INFP, and ENFP) but none seem more encompassing than the others. In the end, I don't know my type, but I'm kinda okay with that.

As for Ria, for as little as I know about MBTI and functions, I'm pretty sure you're an INFJ. Actually, that and the personality type of amazing/awesome.

Thank you my friend, back acha :D

It's interesting what you say about your functions, I'm curious about your scores. I'm wondering if you're ENFJ, but I can see INFJ as well in you; maybe you are a highly expressed introvert.

delete this if it's thread-jacking

Thank you my friend, back acha :D

It's interesting what you say about your functions, I'm curious about your scores. I'm wondering if you're ENFJ, but I can see INFJ as well in you; maybe you are a highly expressed introvert.
These are from a while ago (and Indy at the time confirmed that they're ENFJ...and thanks a bunch for doing that!)

extraverted Sensing (Se) (33.6)
introverted Sensing (Si) (23.3)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (31.4)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) (30.3)
extraverted Thinking (Te) (13.9)
introverted Thinking (Ti) (18.2)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) (49.7)
introverted Feeling (Fi) (39.8)

Fe>Fi>Se>Ne>Ni>Si>Ti>Te

I really don't know what they mean, but meh.

(and I'm really sorry if this is getting too far off topic)

Reactions: Ria
Yes, Indigo is great for helping us decifer our scores, he helped me out too.

Well, I've been thinking further about INFP / INFJ, and I think I'm going to take the cognitive functions test again this eve when I have some quiet time, and see how I score. I am going to search online for any other tests which may be more scientifically based, and if I discover a really good one, I'll post it here for anyone else who's confused between INFJ/P.

He says that if an INFP uses an Fe (s)he uses it in a rather negative way because it is a shadow function. And that is exactly how I use it. In the same way as you described it actually.

Yes, well, I said the use of Fe is strained, so it's not a dominant function, but it's also not that you do not use it in any form.

For me, it's just not something I can identify with much at all.

I'm not that familiar with Beebe though. I'm better versed in Jung's theory, MBTI (Gifts Differing), Keirsey (who I dislike) and Thomson. Thomson talks about how every type uses every function, and in what manner, and that is what I was referring to.

One of the core differences between the INFJ type and the INFP type is when if asked how do you feel, an INFP will pretty much always automatically know, because they seem to take things from the outside world and think or feel, 'how does this sit with me', does this resonate with me, who I am, kinda thing, INFJ's on the other hand tend to be quite stumped by the question and have to trace back (unless they use a form of like place holder, something generic that will move the conversation on yet still be polite). How are you feeling now is kind of a question that INFJ's really try to explore, who they are, a search for self in a way I guess, INFP's tend to always know "who they are" they don't have to trace back through possibilities and implications to guess or find what they are feeling they just know in their heart/soul/core. One thing that is kind of amusing, if you say to an INFJ something that truly resonates with them they tend to like....smile or break into a grin and almost surprise themselves because they weren't necessarily aware that it was the case but the get that it is because of the emotional response so it has to be something that resonates with them....those kinda moments are very pleasant for them...or at least seems to be, but i suppose this last comment could apply to any type.

I agree with this, but I think it's important to note that an INFP may KNOW, but expressing the feeling is another story. Hence the tendency for poetry & art - as Jung says, Fi "demands a more than ordinary descriptive or artistic ability before the real wealth of this feeling can be even approximately presented or communicated to the world."

this can be also interesting, an INFP view on the matter:

http://infpverse.freeforums.org/infj-vs-infp-attitudes-behavior-t570.html

Oh, there I am mouthing off again....haha. You might never guess I am so harmlessly quiet in person.

I've only actually MET one INFJ. I worked with her, and she never took the test, but it was crystal CRRRYSSTAALLL clear that she was INFJ. Siighh.. I never paid much attention to her actually, and didn't give her much credit as being very interesting until something else happened. She was the conflict-avoidance type who might lash out at you unexpectedly when she finally gets angry enough. I liked her a lot. I think she's 30 now.

Met tons of INFP's. They're statistically MUCH more common. They always struck me as very easygoing. I usually have trouble telling INFPs and ENFJs apart because of that. INFPs are just really laidback. They seem like idea people too. Generally happy, I think. I like them, but find them boring. I often wish I was an INFP though.

INFJs are obviously very much in a class of their own. NOT easygoing, not really. Very very complex.... I don't really enjoy INFPs because whenever I reach for depth, they don't seem to take it seriously. That's why I have a strong preference towards INFJs. There's just so much more there....

Well, I've met more than a few INTJs and they are terribly dull, so there :tongue1:. They always want to date me too, hahaha.

The statistic thing is dubious at best, and my anecdotal experience has more run-ins with INFJs & INTJs than INFPs. I know a lot of ISFPs too, and I suspect many would type as INFP to people who don't know better.

I'm easy-going in that I don't go out of my way to be obstinate & I dislike conflict a lot (I tend to avoid conflict & then finally blow unexpectedly - that is typical NF stuff), but I'm also moody and aloof. People don't find me friendly, and I'm very prone to melancholy. These points are repeatedly emphasized throughout many INFP profiles. The "fluffy bunny" stereotype needs to end!!!

I'm easy-going in that I don't go out of my way to be obstinate & I dislike conflict a lot (I tend to avoid conflict & then finally blow unexpectedly - that is typical NF stuff), but I'm also moody and aloof. People don't find me friendly, and I'm very prone to melancholy. These points are repeatedly emphasized throughout many INFP profiles. The "fluffy bunny" stereotype needs to end!!!

that is exactly who I am

and I'm only fluffy on the forum. In real life I don't know how to be fluffy without feeling like a complete fool or pretender. My ENFP friend forces me a lot in fluffyness and I can pull it off but I always feel like playing a roll. What I do like A LOT is looking in an other persons eyes, letting down the bariers and show them my deep compasion and love ...

the fluffy bunny needs to end NOW :D

It's possible the "fluffy bunny" vs. "melancholy & moody" differences in how INFPs are perceived might be an enneagram thing.

Apparently the two most common enneagram types for INFPs are 4 and 9 respectively (with type 5 in third place), and it seems reasonable to me that because type 9s tend to repress their more negative feelings they're more likely to come across as "soft/fluffy", whereas because type 4s tend to inhabit their feelings (whether good or bad) they're more likely to come across as "moody/melancholic".

It's possible the "fluffy bunny" vs. "melancholy & moody" differences in how INFPs are perceived might be an enneagram thing.

Apparently the two most common enneagram types for INFPs are 4 and 9 respectively (with type 5 in third place), and it seems reasonable to me that because type 9s tend to repress their more negative feelings they're more likely to come across as "soft/fluffy", whereas because type 4s tend to inhabit their feelings (whether good or bad) they're more likely to come across as "moody/melancholic".

I'm a type 4, just tested it. What are the main differences between both types?

INFJs are like apples and INFPs are like pears, pears are too sweet, apples get stuck in your teeth.

I'd be really interested to know how an INFP and an INFJ would answer this question: how are you feeling?

I'd be really curious to see the difference of how the two types describe their emotional states.

When I started wondering this question myself, my mind literally went blank. I started to think back (the day) and I thought... well, uhm, I guess I'm kind of bored, and I feel kind of lazy... But it actually staggered me a great deal that I'm having such a hard time knowing, how I'm feeling, <- that all seems so superficial somehow, but I really don't know.

I can tell you how I'm feeling physically, but I have to consciously think about emotionally. Like right now I'm sore and tired, and I know I'm stressed because of work issues, but those aren't true feelings; those are observations.

I have to really, really quiet myself to find out what I'm feeling at any given time (my Fi sucks, big time).

I have to really, really quiet myself to find out what I'm feeling at any given time (my Fi sucks, big time).

I've always assumed I have trouble doing this because of the T, but it means weak Fi? Hmm ... :m083:

it sounds strange that you have to consciously think about emotions, isn't that a contradiction? :w:

I know what I feel all the time but I can't put it in words. I have to ponder on the emotion, look at it from all sides to be able to put words on it.
I have to do more effort in telling what my opinion is on something. But that depends on when you would ask. When I'm working I know better what I think because I need to use my brain all the time but like now when I'm home it is like my brain is quiet and I express everything in terms of feelings.

I would rather say how I feel about a topic then how I think about it