Can you sense someone's energy online? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Can you sense someone's energy online?

If so you should be out finding serial killers and lost children.

Who would believe you? No one. It isn't what you know, only what you can prove - and proof is a tangible and fickle thing that can be manipulated by the skilled. I am not about to put myself in a position to be manipulated by a serial killer - few would.

I don't pretend to be psychic, only thoroughly knowledgeable of my own emotional states - and my states are often just reactions to other people's emotional states. It's like overhearing one side of a telephone conversation - you can extrapolate what is being said on the other side by paying attention, but only to a certain degree. Certainly not to the degree of destroying someone's life over a hunch - even if that hunch tells me that that someone murders other people. What if I am wrong? I would rather they drag their guilty conscience to their grave than mire mine with doubts.

I mean really all you guys are doing is banking off posts and making generalizations about people- which we all do to a certain extent but the conclusions you guys are able to make are wiggedy whack! I used to do the same thing when I pretended to be an INFJ, I used models and scales to help me generalize people. I'd ask them their sign and then pull up their chart and offer general but complex sound things about their 'personality'. If they didn't catch on to one thing I said, I'd contradict myself and bring something else up in the chart that explained my confusion and why they felt differently. All my friends bought it; everyone loves people telling them about themselves, especially in a positive light. It's the best to do in groups, I had one kid who I didn't even know with his jaw dropped open so wide that he gave me his phone number and email address JUST so I could send him more information. It's a babe magnet dude.

So... Sagittarius with Gemini and Capricorn influences? Oh wait... you must have some Cancer in there, to produce your "prickly" outer shell, lol!

Reactions: slant
I can't see anyone's energy or anything like that -- I can just infer what they are like. It's not really anything amazing or anything.

Reactions: slant
I think I don't pick up on people's feelings as well as some other people on here, but I am definitely aware of people's feelings from their posts. I wouldn't have thought of calling it "energy," but that makes sense. Sometimes I realize people are communicating something they might not realize they're communicating by their word choice, verb tense, and what Freemana said "you read into the contexts those words are written in and the groupings of negative or positive phasing, the metaphors, the personal vs. impersonal pronouns and so on".

Having met people through online personal ads, I know my perception of someone online can be way off. Different people communicate with words better or worse, people are more or less self aware, and there's plenty of room for me to misinterpret. If I was interested in meeting someone through a personal ad, I asked them to talk on the phone pretty quickly so I could understand them better.

I try to remember there's plenty of room for misunderstanding someone and keep my mind open to different meanings than I thought the person expressed, as I think INFJs usually do. In the meantime, you have to interact with people based on as much as you can perceive about them.

I'm interested in what someone said about T's being harder to understand than F's. I agree with that, partly because T's sometimes try not to feel emotions and partly because sometimes they don't pay much attention to their emotions, so they probably experience emotions a little differently, and it all makes them harder to understand.

:m083:

I mean really all you guys are doing is banking off posts and making generalizations about people- which we all do to a certain extent but the conclusions you guys are able to make are wiggedy whack! I used to do the same thing when I pretended to be an INFJ, I used models and scales to help me generalize people. I'd ask them their sign and then pull up their chart and offer general but complex sound things about their 'personality'. If they didn't catch on to one thing I said, I'd contradict myself and bring something else up in the chart that explained my confusion and why they felt differently. All my friends bought it; everyone loves people telling them about themselves, especially in a positive light. It's the best to do in groups, I had one kid who I didn't even know with his jaw dropped open so wide that he gave me his phone number and email address JUST so I could send him more information. It's a babe magnet dude.

You just crack me up.

You just crack me up.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhowNqBJpEI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhowNqBJpEI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

:m077:

ask Pierce, he'll tell ya

I just happened to be creeping you a bit and saw my name. This Ria is some magical creature...

I just happened to be creeping you a bit and saw my name. This Ria is some magical creature...

You have no idea.........

Who would believe you? No one. It isn't what you know, only what you can prove - and proof is a tangible and fickle thing that can be manipulated by the skilled. I am not about to put myself in a position to be manipulated by a serial killer - few would.

I don't pretend to be psychic, only thoroughly knowledgeable of my own emotional states - and my states are often just reactions to other people's emotional states. It's like overhearing one side of a telephone conversation - you can extrapolate what is being said on the other side by paying attention, but only to a certain degree. Certainly not to the degree of destroying someone's life over a hunch - even if that hunch tells me that that someone murders other people. What if I am wrong? I would rather they drag their guilty conscience to their grave than mire mine with doubts.

I'm not really sure what it is you are saying here. It was a retorical question really. I am not acussing anyone of having physic abilities and not using them for the greater good. I was just commenting on the fact that you can't read this online. I guess it struck a chord. I'm sorry if I offended.

Read my energies?

Seriously the only thing I can "sense" from this post is a big dose of skepticism - but that's obvious :) Knowing you from other postings I have this pattern of yours in my mind and I could probably make an elaborated guess based on that.

People's actions are extensions of their mental energies - so in that way, yeah I can feel energies :) But I would not claim to sense spiritual energy from thousands of kilometers afar - especially with someone I have never met in real life.

There have been some moments when chatting with other INFJs online when we had the same thoughts simultaneously. It felt like mind reading but can also be explained in psychological terms :)

Yeah, I'm a human scanner too. It used to be fun, but after some level of understanding it gets you tired/sad too easily. So I need to relax with art, science and places that are so abstract/natural that do not relate to humanity at all. Another approach is to dumb myself down. ^^ Kinda like mini-lobotomy. Dumb is good for the nerves. Of course, I never reason out the possibility that I might be crazy. :) After all, we don't have real data about what's going on in other people heads, and if we assume so, it's most often our own problem. Some people think they are "better" at this, because they actually influence their "subjects" to follow their (wrong) assumptions. Truth about people is always tough to assess. Because what you test, also tests you. Are you sure what side of the glass you are on? The experiment reflects the experimenter, like in QM. Nevertheless, I think I get a lot of objective information somehow... intuitively.

For example, I often type people's MBTI in message boards from just a couple of posts. You don't need so much, just a conversation to demonstrate how they react in different situations. There are patterns that I've seen so many times repeated over and over, that the combination of types involved in the argument becomes apparent immediately.

In short, I jump to conclusions about unknown people; check. I know it's quite irrational; check.

Sometimes, but I try to keep it fluid and continually evolving. I tend to be unintentionally aware of details about people who strike me and gradually piece together a picture. I don't form hardened, finished conclusions that are sharply articulated like granite, but more diffuse impression like a cloud. Certain times I will be struck in a more specific way, but it isn't something I can put into words necessarily. The best way I would describe that sort of thing is using the metaphor of seeing a specific shade of color. It's not about blue or red, or fitting it into a box or stereotype, but more about a general sense.

Edit: Just read over the thread. There is a danger in jumping to conclusions about people, I agree. I've been on the receiving end of people who describe themselves as intuitive irl who were pretty unfair in the conclusions they arrive at without proof or evidence. That is a sort of dismissal of a person. People who are interested in how other people think and operate and who spend a great deal of time observing, would reasonably over time develop some sort of skill. Saying there is no such skill is another form of dismissal. Both forms of dismissal minimize a certain kind of threat. Sometimes that sort of intrusion and judgment can be threatening if it is incorrect and unfair, but also if it is insightful. It can be an unpleasant area to explore. It is wise to err on the side of caution and to withhold judgment. On some level I withhold judgment with everyone including family or people I have known for decades. The impression is still diffuse like a cloud, but it has amassed a number of details that many people wouldn't care to remember or bother to piece together.

For some strange reason I get fewer overall impression on this site than other sites, but that is probably because I haven't been here as long. In my experience, my impressions typically make me more sympathetic towards the person and less likely to fight with them in a debate or something because I'll just get a sense of their feeling of invalidation, frustration, anxiety, need for certainty, or just how they might be piecing their information together. It makes me be present on both sides of the conflict simultaneously. Some of this could be myself projecting and maybe there is no way to provide proof either way, but in the end I have found it useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
Edit: Just read over the thread. There is a danger in jumping to conclusions about people, I agree. I've been on the receiving end of people who describe themselves as intuitive irl who were pretty unfair in the conclusions they arrive at without proof or evidence. That is a sort of dismissal of a person. People who are interested in how other people think and operate and who spend a great deal of time observing, would reasonably over time develop some sort of skill. Saying there is no such skill is another form of dismissal. Both forms of dismissal minimize a certain kind of threat. Sometimes that sort of intrusion and judgment can be threatening if it is incorrect and unfair, but also if it is insightful. It can be an unpleasant area to explore. It is wise to err on the side of caution and to withhold judgment. On some level I withhold judgment with everyone including family or people I have known for decades. The impression is still diffuse like a cloud, but it has amassed a number of details that many people wouldn't care to remember or bother to piece together.

Great post. Wise thoughts. Good things to keep in mind when 'reading' online.

I have general ideas about how the people on this forum act in real life. The people I've talked to more I feel I have a better guess as to who they are in their day to day life than those that I don't, but I wouldn't call it sensing someones energy. More of reading between the lines and making assumptions.

Difficult question. Yes, with some I definitely do, with others: not so much. I think it depends on your relationship with these people also. How well do you know them, what kind of conversations do you have with them, etc. Sometimes you just have this 'click' with people, which seems to make it easier to 'feel' each other's mood, pain, or whatever, and sometimes you don't, just as in real life actually.

I've had online conversations that made my head spin. Not so much because of what was being said, but because of the vibe/feeling/emotion I was getting of the other person. At moments like that the way someone is feeling seems to get to me so strongly, in a way it even causes a rather strong emotional reaction from my side. So I think I can feel a certain energy, so much it even influences my own mood. Feeling that someone is upset makes me upset in turn. It can even be pretty intense.

It's not only what people say, but how they say it, that makes you pick up things about themselves. I often think that you give a whole lot more information with how you say something than you even realize. You can't know for sure, of course, but very often I realize that the impression I got was rather accurate.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhowNqBJpEI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhowNqBJpEI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

Hah.

i sense something alright but whether it's their energy or just something i'm making up is hard to say