Can you sense someone's energy online? | INFJ Forum

Can you sense someone's energy online?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Can you "see" or read things about people such as their energy, etc. from their posts or threads; things which wouldn't otherwise be apparent or obvious unless you knew them personally? How does it directly or indirectly affect your response or interaction with them? (No need to name any person specifically) Do you think this is unique to NF or NFJ interactions online, etc.?

In your words, how would you describe this "energy sensing" ability?

Last edited:
Yep

Could you guys elaborate a bit?

Could you guys elaborate a bit?

I'm just off back to work again, so I will try to elaborate later when I've thought about how to put it into words...

:m082:

No :(

Heh.

In the time I've been here, I've developed some really deep online friendships with people. Maybe because written language is such a deep and complex thing, you can just sense when people feel a certain way. I think it's subconscious? I dunno you just know. Especially if you care about them deeply. Their words are the words that shine off the screen. The ones you catch when you're scrolling furiously down the screen and the ones you hang on to. You can tell their mood by their change of language. I couldn't explain this to you, like I said, it's quite subliminal.

Plus there is the context. What thread are we on? What are we talking about? Is it in PM or in the visitor messages?

Last edited:
What do I feel?

yes i do...no I cant elaborate...I cant elaborate anymore than I could by reading some one on the street...I just do...

:m083::m131:

Yes, definitely.

The bad part is that they can deny it. I vibe off others' energy to an extreme degree in real life situations. Online, it's not as strong, but it's definitely there. It's easily dismissed, however, because the validity of such a judgment can come into question when there's no physical evidence (for their sake, not ours) to back it up.

In a real-life conversation, one could easily sense energy, mood, etc. from facial expressions, tone, body-language, and the like. So talking about it would be acceptable because they can't deny they made a face, had a tone, crossed their arms, pursed their lips. Even if this is not how we picked up on the vibe, it's more concrete for the sake of argument or discussion.

In an online conversation, it's still possible, but it's through intuition that we pick it up. There's rarely any concrete evidence for these things. That's the terrible thing about intuition. It's just as frustrating as knowing what's going to happen, and having to watch it happen anyway.

Some more than others. I do tend to connect more with people I have a warm and fuzzy feeling about. I understand that it's me having that feeling, but it seems to materialize from 'them' - the words on the page contain a latent energy - like the person parcelled up their feelings and I unwrapped them and recieved a hug, or whatever. It's nice when it happens. :smile:

Reactions: Gaze
Yes, definitely.

The bad part is that they can deny it. I vibe off others' energy to an extreme degree in real life situations. Online, it's not as strong, but it's definitely there. It's easily dismissed, however, because the validity of such a judgment can come into question when there's no physical evidence (for their sake, not ours) to back it up.

In a real-life conversation, one could easily sense energy, mood, etc. from facial expressions, tone, body-language, and the like. So talking about it would be acceptable because they can't deny they made a face, had a tone, crossed their arms, pursed their lips. Even if this is not how we picked up on the vibe, it's more concrete for the sake of argument or discussion.

In an online conversation, it's still possible, but it's through intuition that we pick it up. There's rarely any concrete evidence for these things. That's the terrible thing about intuition. It's just as frustrating as knowing what's going to happen, and having to watch it happen anyway.

There's evidence which goes along with the intuition.

Some more than others. I do tend to connect more with people I have a warm and fuzzy feeling about. I understand that it's me having that feeling, but it seems to materialize from 'them' - the words on the page contain a latent energy - like the person parcelled up their feelings and I unwrapped them and recieved a hug, or whatever. It's nice when it happens. :smile:

Agree. And funny thing is, I can't explain why.