Caffeine Consumption | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Caffeine Consumption

quit'ns easy I've done a thusand times.

I don't drink it after about 3 or 4pm, otherwise I'm up all night.

I drink tea and/or water all day, occasionally some beers. I was annoyed to find out tea supposedly contains as much caffeine as a mug of coffee, but my tea is very very weak.

I drink a lot of coffee and green tea. It's the only way to go to class all day, and then work all night. I usually chug 5 cups of coffee before I go to work, and then drink tea the rest of the night. I start the day off with a couple cups of coffee, and then tea and water until I go to work.

Lately, I've been drinking a lot more coffee, a 16 ounce cup every morning on weekdays because I have such long days. Sometimes I even get another cup of coffee before my night classes. It keeps me more alert, awake and on my toes when I haven't slept and am not as lively as my naturally energetic self.

Have any of you successfully eliminated the consumption of caffeine from your diet?

If so, can you please describe the differences of before and after? Pros and cons would be beneficial, if you are so inclined.

I used to be a HUGE HUGE Red Bull junky, along with soda, coffee, mocha lattes.......*sigh* I miss these, but I had to kick it all to the curb b/c I could never sleep. It was rough for me. I craved it constantly. It's been over 2 months now. I am over the shakes, the jitters, the insanely foul mood, the feeling like the walking dead, lack of energy, etc. Now I feel great. But lemme tell ya, twas not fun for the first few weeks. But worth it. I just have to be careful to get to bed at a descent hour so as not to set myself up for a rough morning where I simply cannot go without and end up ruining all I have acheived.

G'Luck!

My morning routine is never complete without picking up a small coffee at Dunkin Donuts, and I'll have another in the afternoon only if I have things to get done. Energy drinks and soda have never been on the menu.

So, I don't drink all that much caffeine compared to a lot of people, but I'm still lost without it. :tongue1:

There are major cons for me personally, though, even if I have only one cup of half decaf/half regular. I'm prone to anxiety-related heart palpitations, so I notice on days that I consume more than the norm, I get uncomfortably racy. I'll probably have to cut it out all together in the future.

I have this weird thing with coffee. I actually only drink one to two cups a day, but it takes me about 4-6 hours to do so (a lot of people won't agree, but cold coffee is good too). So, everyone thinks I drink buckets of coffee nonstop all day. I've had numerous lectures on the amount of coffee I drink, and I never disabuse people of this opinion of me. I think it's funny the judgments people make without asking.

Yes, I do wander around with a cup of coffee in my hands most of the day, but I just take a sip every once in a while, because I'm usually concentrating on other stuff. Anyway, I know it's weird, but I tend to think that the amount of coffee I actually drink is my secret!

If I were to quit drinking coffee then who knows what people would start saying about me instead? ;)

I do this too, I drink between 1/2-2 cups of coffee a day, even when it gets cold because I get busy and distracted. I stopped making coffee at home so during pregnancy which I used to drink 3-4 cups a day whew!

The last few weeks I have cut down on cokes also, which I may have one a day now. I have had several headaches and not sure whether being sick or cutting down on caffeine is the source.

I have been taking B12 the last week (Dr. recommended, I'm low on it) and haven't noticed much difference in energy yet but I'm hoping I'll be able to cut caffeine out altogether soon if I have the energy!

i get thirsty alot, so i'm usually drinking water. not much of a coffee drinker. sometimes tea.

I love coffee but had to give it up because caffeine makes my heart skip beats. This is a scary, so I've been strongly motivated to quit. Tea has a lot less caffeine in it than coffee, so I can tolerate some tea. I like tea but it just isn't the same as coffee.

I've given up coffee (sob), but still have coca cola (minute caffeine).

It starts off with you getting over the addiction with amazingly bad head aches and avoiding bright lights. Then you just feel normal. I didn't find much of a change at all, except white tea is more expensive and better for me (and, I hate to say it, tastes much better).

I'm going to seriously miss iced coffee this summer...

Yeah I consume tons of caffeine. I wake up to coffee or tea and study with NOS energy drinks(cheapest price/grams of caffeine and stuff). Some days I don't have any caffeine randomly and I don't crave it, but I don't feel like I've woken up properly the whole day.

free coffee at mc donalds until the 14th guys! It's not half bad
in toronto at least, not sure about other places.

*sips her dr pepper*

successfully yes once or twice...Once for a whole year...I saw no result in anything I was doing for my diet, or exercise so I decided I would stop eating cardboard and enjoy my damned self.

Some days I don't have any caffeine randomly and I don't crave it, but I don't feel like I've woken up properly the whole day
I'm that way too. I consume coffee like it's water, but I occasionally go a day without any caffeine. Normally I get headaches and I realize I haven't had any coffee or tea, but some days I never feel any withdrawal symptoms what so ever. Weird stuff....

*sips on 4th cup of coffee*

Caffeine is largely a productivity enhancer for me when I need to knock out mindless tasks. Chemically, it seems to induce a modest catecholamine response and definitely gives some jitters. Good at reducing headache. What I like about caffeine is that it does not have wild mood effects that something like piracetam, silbutiamine, or even nicotine can have on me. I never found it even remotely addictive and can and do quit at will. Off caffeine, I am calmer and my abstract thinking skills are generally stronger. Unfortunately, I do tend to find myself in a mental rut more often when not taking it and don't get as much done in a day.

People often have an optimal time of mental inspiration and productivity in a day with other times of relative rest. Think of it as a sine wave with pronounced wave features. I find that when I use caffeine as a crutch, like to stay awake after lunch or in the afternoon, it has a fallout effect. My graph looks more like a straight line with little sine waves here and there. I miss the trough, but I miss the peak where so much mental clarity is often present and that is a shame.

In the end, I cycle it and use it when I deem beneficial.

Eliminating caffeine is easy as uniquely different replacement abounds. Try simple ALCAR for instance. Or take a chill pill like phenibut once in awhile. The difference in mental states is worth experiencing and is enough to discourage rote java consumption. That has to get boring from time to time. And caffeine tolerance is a b.

Last edited:
I really used to be a Caffine Junkie myself. One night though when working on a project, I had four pots of coffee. (and a mountain dew and an energy drink)

What may shock you is I went to bed after that for a few hours after I had finished. I almost fainted the next morning in class. At that point I realized that my habit was more than unhealthy and I have been cutting the caffine. For a while though after that I would constantly be light headed.

I really used to be a Caffine Junkie myself. One night though when working on a project, I had four pots of coffee. (and a mountain dew and an energy drink)

What may shock you is I went to bed after that for a few hours after I had finished. I almost fainted the next morning in class. At that point I realized that my habit was more than unhealthy and I have been cutting the caffine. For a while though after that I would constantly be light headed.

Hahaha, jesus! People say that I'm bad and I drink too much (2 cups on average, 3 at the most) but reading this thread... I'm a lightweight.

Yowzers!! Glad to hear you're cutting back. :wink: