unappreciated quirks | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

unappreciated quirks

Are people who live in east russia asian? I think it's just because asian has become the "acceptable term" for oriental.

For the most part yes; but I think oriental is an interesting term. The whole region of Central Asia including Russian, Mongolian and all the Stans are mixture of asian, european and meditarranean blood.:m075:

Isn't the term oriental used for merchandise such as rugs and vases?

Reactions: Nixie
Isn't the term oriental used for merchandise such as rugs and vases?

Yes, I think the word mainly derived from the Silk Road days where merchants carried precious items all the way from China to Persia to western civilizations. Turkish rugs and vases are considered oriental. I also see lot of classic American cinema addressing Asians as Oriental.

Reactions: Gaze
Well I only used the word oriental because it seemed more acceptable than "Tan squinty eyed people from places like asia, japan and korea" (I'm not trying to be offensive there's just no good word for it like black or white.)

Well I only used the word oriental because it seemed more acceptable than "Tan squinty eyed people from places like asia, japan and korea" (I'm not trying to be offensive there's just no good word for it like black or white.)

LOL...none taken. I like screaming at non Asians "shut up round eyes!!"...kidding:m178:

Reactions: Nixie and This
I don't mind being called a round eye ;)

Why does it matter?
It doesn't matter to me [MENTION=3710]AlienSpectator[/MENTION]. It's a just a label, and I'm content to do without it. But for others, who might like that label and it's connotations, they have the right to be called Asian if they want.

It doesn't matter to me @AlienSpectator. It's a just a label, and I'm content to do without it. But for others, who might like that label and it's connotations, they have the right to be called Asian if they want.

I realized that it didn't matter to you. I picked the wrong message to quote and was too lazy to correct it. <guilty smile>

Sure they have the right I am just wondering if it is really worth getting all worked up about. I am what I am not what you say I am.

dont like flirtatious people.

I mix my juice with water. I don't like the sweetness of pure juices.:m051:

people don't like it when I caress their puppies then pee on them.

So, what are some quirks you display which aren't often understood or appreciated?

Too many to list, I actually wrote about them in my Bio on my profile. :m083:
As I have come to learn, Aspergers and socialization does not mix.

Lack of eye contact - Eye contact is extremely uncomfortable, having Aspergers means that I have heighten senses and I process information differently. Eyes are very intense.
The lack of eye contact that I give people is often misinterpreted as dislike or lack of trust.

Lack of control in the volume of my voice - I can't tell how loud or how quiet to talk when I engage in a conversation with another individual. Its embarrassing. Usually when I get excited (or anxious) talking about something that I'm passionate about the volume of my voice goes up, when I'm depressed or upset I tend to mumble and whisper.

Poorly picking up social ques - I say the wrongs things at the wrong times at the wrong places. I tend to say things as they are and sometimes I forget to consider the feelings of other individuals. According to my psychiatrist, this is not usually an ability that those with Aspergers have. The ability to see other people's expectations. Its not natural for people with Aspergers to live up and understand the expectations of others. We do what we want to do and go where we want to go. All of this gets misinterpreted as me being a down right snob or cocky.

Repeating things that I have seen or heard - Yes, this is another awkward trait and quirk of mine. I tend to repeat past conversations without fail. It can drive my fellow family members up the wall, especially if they happen to be about topics that I'm heavily fascinated with. I can often repeat things in my head in a clear visual format, so its not uncommon to see me sitting in the corner laughing about something that I previously watched up to a few years back. I often talk to myself, allot, whether in public or in private, hell I have full blown conversations with myself with my imaginary friends (thats because I don't have many friends in real life, I prefer to keep to myself).

Isolation
- I like people, but I prefer to be by myself and watch the world from a distance. Its not uncommon for people with Aspergers to live reclusively, social interaction can be pretty intense. Unfortunately for me, isolation quickly leads to depression. I tend to live in my own world most of the time.

Intimacy - Like allot of people with Aspergers I am extremely reluctant to show intimacy such as hugging etc. because of my hyper sensitivity. A Hug to me feels like I'm getting crushed. I prefer pretend hugs (hugging without hugging) again, this gets misinterpreted as being snobby or cocky.

I, too, am nothing but a collection of odd quirks, but I apparently have tempered and blended these so that they do not go unappreciated as a whole.

I have a 'quirk' (loosely using that term) to suddenly disappear when with people, then to reappear and loom behind them 'til they turn around and scream.

I honestly don't mean to. I'm just very quiet :)

Holy crap! Me too.
People get freaked out when they are talking to me, because I maintain eye contact throughout the conversation. And when I am on the phone with someone, they periodically say "Are you still there?" LOL. I just like to listen, is all.

-Anna

Holy crap! Me too.
People get freaked out when they are talking to me, because I maintain eye contact throughout the conversation. And when I am on the phone with someone, they periodically say "Are you still there?" LOL. I just like to listen, is all.

-Anna

I don't think you just like to listen. While the other person is talking you are probably analyzing every single word as well as the tone that's coming out of the their mouth ..... The eye contact makes liars more nervous than usual :p

For the most part yes; but I think oriental is an interesting term. The whole region of Central Asia including Russian, Mongolian and all the Stans are mixture of asian, european and meditarranean blood.:m075:
I think a lot of the credit for that has to go to Ghengis Khan ;)
Do Mongolians learn Russian as a second language?

When I see random people having a conversation, sometimes I just want to walk up and ask them, "Do you guys mind if I just sit here and watch you guys talk?"

I also randomly howl like a wolf. Yeah, I freak the hell out of people (I love it) :lol:...kind of like this -->

I snort when I laugh at something I find really funny *don't hurt me*