NF, NT, SP, and SJ | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

NF, NT, SP, and SJ

Does that then conclude that society plays a significant role in shaping your personality?

Not to me. As far as the nature vs. nurture, I very strongly lean to the nature side. While yes socieity plays an inpact, who you are is much more of a deciding factor.

Of course not, it's not hardwired into us or anything. Some cultures, like the American south or the middle east, probably are more SJ heavy, while some cultures, like France or California, probably have a slightly higher intuitive population.

I don't think the actual numerical proportions need to be different, just the cultural attitudes that are more/less accepting of the expression of natural inclinations.

I wonder if any certain cognitive functions are more susceptible to society's influence than others.

I don't think the actual numerical proportions need to be different, just the cultural attitudes that are more/less accepting of the expression of natural inclinations.

Hmm that is a good point, perhaps certain functions are simply suppressed in different societies which in turn gives inaccurate test results?

Easy, Si and Fe are the most easily influenced.

Link isn't working for me.

Here you go:

The MBTI is the most widely used personality tool in the world. It has been translated into 18 languages: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, South American Spanish, North American Spanish, Portuguese, simplified and traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Canadian French. Using the MBTI to view the world, it will show you an interesting picture blended with different cultures.

The MBTI classifies personality into four dichotomies: E or I, S or N, T or F, J or P. All the personality types can be seen everywhere. Although there are no big differences within the same type in different countries, cultural factors impact our personalities.

Different cultures have different rules to constrain our behaviors. Culture can advocate the most appropriate personalities. As a result, when you meet different cultures, your personality may be released or constrained to some extent. On the other hand, different cultures display their particular personality types. For example, in Europe, the British are likely to be ISTJ, Germans are ESTJ - “Thinking (extroverted)” is their dominant. Americans are typically ESTJ. Argentines and Brazilian are typical ESTP – they are enthusiastic. In Asia, Japanese are ISTJ, whereas Indians are ENTP. Even in the same country, different areas or sexes may result in different “personalities”. For example, Americans from the South are ENFP while New Yorkers in the northeast are mostly ISTJ – these two types are totally opposite. In Britain, males are mostly ISTJ and females are mostly ISFJ.

Country
Cultural Personality Type
Argentina ESTP/ESFP
Brazil ESTP/ESFP
Germany ESTJ
USA ESTJ
Japan ISTJ
India ENTP
UK Male:ISTJ/Female:ISFJ​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
icon02.gif
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Different types display different behavioral patterns:

04.jpg

Both British and Japanese are ISTJ. They maintain a constitutional monarchy which focuses on “rules” in social relationships, past experience and traditions. E and N preference in Indian culture help them find feasible problem-solving approaches easily. This culture also grants them outstanding flexible competency. Driven by ESTP type, Argentines seem to be born risk - takers.
The most interesting thing is that the same type in different cultures may act differently. Take ESTJ as an example, Brazilians, Argentines, Germans and Americans are typically ESTJ; however Brazilians are not known for good time-keeping. They can be fully involved in music and dancing all day along. From this point of view, Argentines are hard to catch up with Brazilians. Germans tend to follow the rules strictly. They focus on logic and order and thus can come across a little bit harsh when meeting other people. Americans like to give orders.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
icon02.gif
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The successful use of the MBTI in different countries tells us:

Each type can be seen everywhere. Cultural factors not only guide our behaviors but also influence our understanding of other behavioral patterns and personalities. People from different cultures interpret personality types extracted from the MBTI in different ways. In fact, we mostly interpret the MBTI type from our own culture. Therefore the MBTI administrator cannot avoid the influences from cultural factors. As a qualified administrator, you should be aware of your own cultural influences and preferences when interpreting the MBTI.
What does the MBTI give us? It helps us know ourselves and other people better. It teaches us to deal with differences appropriately in order to enhance communication and mutual understanding.
(This article is adapted from Michael R. Segovia’s speech on “Different Culture, Different Type”)

I'm not surprised with isfjs being most common.

Whenever I mock-type people (just guess off the bat, so I cannot really say for sure), I come up with a lot of isfjs.

edit: the culture and type article is quite interesting! I can sort of see the esxp thing for Argentina, except they were pretty chill, as well.

Last edited:
In other words, there seem to be four models for how the human mind develops, very Se, very Si, intuitive thinking, or intuitive feeling. Very interesting indeed, because the implication is that the mind develops based on how it processes information.
Very interesting indeed.

Yes, I agree that culture ad our environment plays a major role in influencing our behavior. Many of us have had to adapt in order to go along with society, for example I live in Miami which is full of ESXX types, reason being is that first of all this is a major tourist central, you would think people who are more ''life of the party'', mainly a great Hispanic population which I learn vales extroversion and sensing immensely, the misconceptions of introversion are heard all the time, in Miami I would even dare to say that the E AND I ratio is 8:2 and same with S:N, however take me to somewhere like Alaska where the sun is down for days or Japan who has tried to isolate itself to keep it's tradition throughout history and you would find higher I rates ISTJ to be more specific in Japan since they value their culture and tradition so much..

Last edited:
From the opinions I've read, Type seems to be Nurture AND Nature.

I strongly agree.

Argentina ESTP/ESFP
Brazil ESTP/ESFP
Germany ESTJ
USA ESTJ
Japan ISTJ
India ENTP
UK Male:ISTJ/Female:ISFJ​

I personally think several factors are at work here. Most importantly, cultural expectations cause people to view themselves as having stronger preferences than they actually do. For example, the T and F split is 60/40, males toward T and females toward F in most cultures due to expectations that men are more T and women are more F. I strongly believe that this shows at least a +/- 10% bias in self assessment, and that there is a 50/50 male female population on the T and F axis, just like there is with the I and E axis. However, in our culture there is no gender bias for or against I or E, so the result is more 'honest'. I also think that the J and P axis are close to 50/50, and again cultural bias leans toward J. Clearly, in other cultures, P is a more preferable bias. In the end, however, I, E, T, F, J and P are all functions of the very evenly distributed Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe populations. Study after study implies this to be true.

The real factor with respect to cognitive population distribution is Si, Se, Ne, and Ni. These populations differ drastically.

Si users (SJs) 45%~
Se users (SPs) 30%~
Ne users (NPs) 15%~
Ni users (NJs) 10%~

I think N types are more rare than test scores indicate because many S types identify with the N type questions like "I am intuitive." Most people consider themselves intuitive, especially with no frame of reference. However, even though I would estimate intuitive numbers, especially N dominant numbers, to be lower than estimated, even 1% of the world population (INFJs) is still 68 million INFJs in the world.

Last edited:
so that's why we feel alone :m068:

why can't MBTI types be passed on by reproducing!?!? :m054:
then it would be easier ahahaha we'll all just reproduce and reproduce and reproduce until the world is full of INFJs :m059:yehey!!!!! bwahahahahaha

:m049:isn't there any study about MBTI types and genes in the DNA?

ahahhaha i wonder what would happen :m163:

Reactions: ENTroP
09% NFs (INFJ 1, ENFJ 2, INFP 3, ENFP 3)

I am one of this group. LOL

Of course not, it's not hardwired into us or anything. Some cultures, like the American south or the middle east, probably are more SJ heavy, while some cultures, like France or California, probably have a slightly higher intuitive population.

Yeah. And where I live, in Finland, people are more introverted than in Southern Europe or the USA.

Btw, I tried to type my mom's family (her mom, dad, sisters and brothers) and I typed nearly everyone as NFs. That can't be correct, though, because NFs are so rare and because my mom has told me that when she was a child, she felt like an alien in her own family.

Perhaps I'm just trying to be nice when typing people because I have the feeling that most people want to be Ns (Ns are seen as more creative, intelligent etc and those are very highly respected qualities in our culture). So I feel like I "should" type as many people as possible as Ns. :/