Moral Beliefs - poll | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Moral Beliefs - poll

What do you believe in? (Multiple choices allowed)

• Total voters
I agree mostly with the Golden Rule, but that's also pretty relative, since different people would like to be treated in different ways.

I agree mostly with the Golden Rule, but that's also pretty relative, since different people would like to be treated in different ways.

yes that is the folley of it. It depends on what the persons defintion of fair is.

Logic doesn't go well with the general public, it seems

Logic doesn't go well with the general public, it seems

This is true from what I have seen. Hell, I hate logic in the formal sense, it drives me insane. And yes, I realise the irony and contradiction of saying I hate logic. I am going to shut up before I make things even more confusing.

I have to say Hedonism cause I'm SP, it says so in the contract.

Well, from my perspective the logical choice would be to remain silent (assuming those are the only options). As since I did something, it would be unfair to rat the other person out, give them more time, and get out free even though I did something. If I remain silent there is the potential that we will get the least ammount of time. If I get ratted out then that is unfortonate, but I did the correct thing.

I could see the other option appealing more since it has the overarching span of less time, however it is unfair to the other person and therefore is illogical.

Don't really see how I answered my own question.

It's truly hard for me to understand (in particular for an INFJ) how someone could not follow the golden rule. It's just, well, logical.

@IndigoSensor: and @gloomy-optimist:

That's why I don't choose the Golden Rule.... half of my difficulties come from Extrovert Sensors treating me the way they like to be treated.

The "Platinum Rule" ought to be: treat others they way THEY would like to be treated.

Oh, well that's actually what I do for the most part (I put a lot of effort into extracting that information). I just call it the golden rule as it is an ease of term for this. But yes I like the term platinium rule better.

I treat people like the shits they are, then tell them and pack up to leave so I can have my parties.

(But not really)

Don't really see how I answered my own question.

Sigh...

You indicated that the golden rule is logical. You questioned why people would not follow the golden rule. The answer to that question is exactly as you indicated, it is logical. It is just as logical to choose not to follow the golden rule if the reward for not doing so is perceived as potentially greater than the reward for doing so. In other words, if people are thinking in terms of what has the lowest risk, then they will usually go for the most self serving option. They can only choose the option of most felicity if they disregard the risk, and act in blind faith, as you yourself indicated in your post. You are willing to disregard the risk, on the basis that you have faith that it is the correct choice. There is no rational for doing so, only a desire to do what you feel is right. In short, logic is the reason most people don't follow the golden rule. The rule in itself is logical, but following through with it requires that you disregard logic and choose faith in your own nature and the nature of other human beings.

Last edited:
The "Platinum Rule" ought to be: treat others they way THEY would like to be treated.

Hm...I wonder if there was a guy who once said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."? For some reason a big book with red letters comes to mind.

Oh, well that's actually what I do for the most part (I put a lot of effort into extracting that information). I just call it the golden rule as it is an ease of term for this. But yes I like the term platinium rule better.

Do you really? Would you mind sending me a check for all the money in your bank account? I really feel that is the way I should be treated.

I want to do the "right" things as much as I can do them, and wouldn't that be a result of J function, whether i or e? I'm not sure I believe in the so-called "Implied Social Contract" as such, but it does make good practical sense in the every day world. Sure, as individuals, we pays our money, we make our choices, but if something we do or do not do affects someone else, it's better if we take care in making those decisions. None of us is an island even if we think we are. There is evidence that people make choices that are not in their own best interests at times, so what do we do? Ethical behavior is still ethical behavior even if you don't include religion. We still have to live with ourselves!

Do you really? Would you mind sending me a check for all the money in your bank account? I really feel that is the way I should be treated.

You and your damned semantics; you know what I mean.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind; and love your neighbor as (you should) yourself.

I would call that divine and it touches on the golden, along with many other thoughts and feelings. It exemplifies my belief. It replaced the old testament and I would like to call it The New Testament, though there is much more to it. I do not want it to be confused with The New Testament of the Bible that consists of Matthew through Revelations, though that is where it is found by those searching for it.

Final Answer: New Testament