The right to die? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

The right to die?

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Skarekrow, Feb 8, 2020.

Share This Page

?
  1. It is against my morals/beliefs and no one should have such a say.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. It's fine for others, not for me.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. It would be something I would consider for myself.

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. I support the right to die with dignity, but mental illnesses should not be considered.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. I support the right to die if said person fits appropriate criteria no matter the primary reason.

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  6. I don't want to think about it...

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 10 users.
More threads by Skarekrow
  1. MoonFlier

MoonFlier Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ

Thanks! Hoping to take the ride up to see him tomorrow. Prepared to see him at his worst. :(

Skarekrow, Rit4lin, flower and 2 others like this.
  2. Aneirin

Aneirin AKA, David
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    type 4w5
    those are difficult trips to make. much love on your journey. .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MoonFlier

MoonFlier Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Thank you. It helps to know there are friends online who don't shrug me off when I need to cry. You and everyone else who lend a supportive "ear" are appreciated more than you'll ever know.

4. flower

flower

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4(79/97)
    Yes... Unfortunately many people aren't able to think or try to feel how the person who is suffering might be feeling. Only the person suffering knows, it's their experience about their own life after all. Not everything is curable, even mental illnesses. Mental illnesses can be as fatal as any fatal physical disease out there. Unfortunately many people believe that some cases (or ALL cases) of mental illnesses can be treated. It's simply not true. What if the person has already tried every possible treatment there is and what he can afford etc.? Does that person has to suffer decades more for trying to find a working treatment? It's inhumane. Like you said... Sadly some people would try to take their life in their own hands in very dangerous ways and would pass away still..

I remember that you've talked about your depression before, it is very sad and I'm so sorry. I'm very glad though that you've found some ways to heal your depression! :hug: ''Who is anyone to tell anyone how to think or feel?'' Exactly! We all have the right for our own opinion and this is a very sensitive subject, so it is understandable that people disagree.

Thank you and I am wishing you a lovely day/night too. ^-^ :<3purple:

We definitely need more understanding and compassion in our world. So many people are suffering... Pain shouldn't exist, but sadly it does exist. :unhappy:

I agree with your second point too though I just have a little bit different opinion (as I've written before on this thread) because of my own personal experiences which is understandable. I agree with a lot what @Skarekrow said though you pointed out many reasonable things about this subject which are important to remember.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Aneirin

Aneirin AKA, David
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    type 4w5
    As one who worked their whole life in mental health as a nurse I can certainly attest to this truth. Every few years a new "cure for schizophrenia" hits the market. and just like the one a few years ago, it fades away. There is no cure for most major mental illnesses. drugs can control the symptoms for many, but not everyone responds to medications. Many are left with treatment that renders them nearly unable to participate fully in their own lives due to the sedation side effects of many medications. There are an unfortunate number of folks that struggle to survive every day due to their symptoms. it is a philosophical discussion we have not had. perhaps once we come to terms with the right to die for physical illness we will begin the conversation.

6. flower

flower

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4(79/97)
    You've probably good insights about mental health as a mental health nurse. It's very unfortunate that there are so many different medications a person could try, but so many of them have different side effects. I really hope that we as a humanity and a society will find new ways to treat illnesses. Mental illnesses aren't seen as the same as physical illnesses, which is a shame. The brain is an organ too.

7. Aneirin

Aneirin AKA, David
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    type 4w5
    I guess the way I look at it is that we are body, mind and spirit. disorder in one effects the whole. .treatment for one should include all to achieve real wellness

MoonFlier, Skarekrow, Rit4lin and 2 others like this.
  8. flower

flower

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4(79/97)
    I agree. Wellness is all about body, mind and spirit as a whole. : )

MoonFlier, Skarekrow, Rit4lin and 2 others like this.
  9. Vict

Vict mechanical and habitual agent
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTP
    Enneagram:
    My paternal grandfather died at the age of 96. He died lost and frightened. I think it's shameful to keep someone alive in such a state for ourselves, because it makes us sad for someone to be gone. It's fuckin selfish.

My final experience with him had a significant impact on me and shaped my outlook on the subject. I didn't think about it much until then.

Kgal, Skarekrow, MoonFlier and 3 others like this.
  10. OP
    Skarekrow

Skarekrow ~~DEVIL~~

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni-INFJ-A
    Enneagram:
    Warlock
    So sorry to hear that Vict.
    It's often not until we go through something ourselves that we start understand the full dynamics of such a situation.
    I feel it's very easy to say one thing having never witnessed or dealt with experiences and perspectives dying can give us, quite another after living through it.
    People can be selfish in this way, I saw this happen frequently at the hospital - families wanting every invasive and complex measures or surgeries to keep someone alive for another couple weeks (albeit in pain).
    I can understand both sides of the issue...everyone is hoping that their family member or loved one will be the "miracle" person who will pull through.
    Many feel guilt if they don't feel like they do everything possible too, but a lot of it is poor understanding of what many of these drastic life saving measures actual entail, the pain they cause themselves, the odds against them, etc.
    Even CPR is incredibly harsh on the body...not to be too graphic but I've seen many broken ribcages and sternums collapsed in afterward.
    Many trauma surgeries entail a full opening of the chest cavity or skull which is a very, very long and painful recovery if they should live.
    It's very important that folks have a "living will" describing what type of life saving measures they wish preformed and what they do not.
    The term "DNR" means "do not resuscitate" for the very reason that people do not want CPR done on them, or to be on a ventilator breathing for them, etc.

We should all talk to our loved ones at the very least - as they will be the ones making such decisions with the Doctors - letting them know it's okay to let us go in whatever circumstances have brought us to that point.

One a lighter note...it's great to see you again Vict!
    It's been quite a while.
    I hope all is going well for you and your own.
    Have a peaceful week!
    :<3white:

Vict, Kgal, MoonFlier and 2 others like this.