If you had to live without one sense, which would it be? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

If you had to live without one sense, which would it be?

If you had to live without one sense, which would you choose?

• Sight/Seeing

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Sound/Hearing

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Taste

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Smell

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Touch/Feel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Smell first. I don't notice smells much, and I could easily do without it. Taste would be second, but I really do like the taste of food. Sight would be third, followed by touch, and lastly hearing. Sound is by far the most important sense to me.

I chose taste because it is the least social of the senses. And I need every social tool I can get! I am already socially challenged enough as it is.

Perhaps at one point taste served as a useful tool to judge whether foods were safe to eat or not, but these days taste tends to serve the opposite purpose unless you are stuck out in the wild.

I enjoy the taste of foods and drink, but it serves the least useful purpose. In my opinion taste is the most superficial of the senses. Perhaps it would be a wonderful thing to eat vegetables and healthy foods without a concern for how they taste.

Last edited:
There's only really two options if you think about it properly. Taste or smell.

I'd rather part with taste, then smell. Smell has a lot more uses (safety, sensual, etc), where as taste really only has one.

Smell :) :)

heehee

I need to see. I don't want to live without seeing. I would feel even more alone and in the dark. :( :( and that's sad.

I need my sense of hearing because I need it for dancing. I wouldn't be able to hear and feel the music without it. :)

I don't want to lose my sense of touch because that's like weird ahahahaha what would I feel? I would be lost hahahaha

Taste.. well I love eating so... I need it ahahaha :) :) <--- But I can live without that too if sense of smell isn't one of the choices :)

If you had to live without one sense, which would it be?

Explain why.

if it was between hearing and eyesight, i'd choose eyesight. most people say they'd rather lose their hearing, but imo hearing is what connects us to other human beings, and music is so important. i'd hate to have perfect vision and have to witness the world in absolute silence, it would seem so lonely. less of a chance of realizing the extent of my loss if my eyesight went.

if all the senses are included, well i guess it wouldn't be that bad not having a sense of taste.

i'd hate to have perfect vision and have to witness the world in absolute silence, it would seem so lonely
Very much agreed.

I love all my senses but I guess under extreme circumstances I can live without the smell. Too bad lack of smell will affect directly the taste of the food/drink. But oh well, I definitely need my sight, touch, sound and taste.
I'm already living with a really weak sense of smell due to allergies, I could live without more and just live with someone who can smell fire or gas. XD

Its great at work, I worked with bluecheese for years and was never bothered by it.

gonna go with smell, whicg sucks because it was this or taste and I came to the conclusion that tasteing food is better then smelling it.

Maybe I'll be like a snake, smell with my toungue.

I've already said sight, but if I had to choose another it would have to be touch. I'm not a hugger, etc. I couldn't do without hearing, smell, or taste. Love food - one of the few joys of life. And I have a strong sense of smell, so I guess I would feel a bit weird without it.

I've already said sight, but if I had to choose another it would have to be touch. I'm not a hugger, etc. I couldn't do without hearing, smell, or taste. Love food - one of the few joys of life. And I have a strong sense of smell, so I guess I would feel a bit weird without it.
No...hugs?
BLASPHEMY!

Reactions: Gaze
Taste, but it was close with smell because neither of those are really needed. At least if I had no taste I could eat almost anything.

*hugs* :p

It would be between taste and smell, but the choice is difficult because they are related. With taste alone you can detect things like sweet, sour, bitter, etc, but think about eating with a stuffy nose. The food is nowhere near as flavorful without being able to smell. At the same time, it would be totally weird to salivate at the aroma of good food yet not receive any information from your tongue as you eat it. That's a tough one, but I think I would sacrifice taste.

Smell, definitely. While it is the sense closest to strong distant memories, and therefore valuable, I would sacrifice it to be with my wife. She lost some of her sense of smell in a bike accident many years ago. (Perhaps this is why she tolerates me.) If I had to lose a sense, I'd pick to lose smell so that I could join her in her smell-reduced world.

If you had to live without one sense, which one would it be?

I lived for several years without a sense of smell after the stroke and it was no biggie except it impaired my sense of taste as well. Everything tasted like cardboard, but I learned to take pleasure in textures of food.

I'd have to say taste. I rely on the rest too much

Smell. Sight, touch, and hearing just seem so important to me. And I love good food. So I can't say taste. So the only one left is smell.

I mostly need Touch/Feel, preferably with some Hearing.

The rest I could donate. Especially my sight is very good. Someone could make better use of it.

Definitely agree with the Taste camp for all the reasons cited.

If I could only have one sense, it would be a toss up between sight and hearing, but sight would probably win.