If you could change your type would you? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

If you could change your type would you?

and non-creepily too, props to [MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION]!

- no sarcasm -

No, I like the type that I am.. whatever type that may be.

Noticing more detail might be nice though.

I would only consent to a natural change, meaning a change that is brought about by my own actions and experiences.

I used to type as INFJ and now I've been coming up as ISFP (I don't feel artistic at all btw)

But I would never want to just magically flip a switch to make myself an extrovert or anything like that. I don't always feel happy, and a lot of the time I don't like myself, but I would nonetheless want to earn whatever changes I go through by challenging myself and learning from my mistakes as painful as it can be.

To instantly change into another type, no matter how attractive it seems, would not involve any true growth, and would be like a big middle finger to everything I've seen and done up to this point. It's not worth much, and there's a lot that I do regret, but I'd rather work my way through it.

That's just in my case though...

Sali said:
Perhaps there is an underlying grass is greener thinking
Of course there is! (Lots of emphasis on the exclamation mark)

So people, stop dreaming about an idealized self you could be and try to improve things that are possible instead of focusing on what's impossible.
Especially to all infjs who want to be entj D:
Yay for sensor sounding post.

Reactions: Neuropedia
No way hose-B.

ENFJ

I would never choose anything other than myself. Although my life can be secretive and lonely, it is also beautiful and I don't think I would see the same beauty if I was something other than INFJ.

But if I had to choose: ENFJ.

I would never want to lose my F.

nah, I like looking like an awkward nerd while the people who really know me think I'm awesome

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
At first, I thought, "Yes, I would love to change my type." However, when it comes down to it, I like my personality. It's other people that rub me the wrong way. Therefore, I elect to change everyone else's type to the one most compatible with intjs. The problem is that there is no consensus on which type is most compatible.

Nah, DevilDoll is correct, ENTP is da bomb... but I would like to change some of my natural weaknesses that I have yet to master to some of the natural strengths of other types that would make overcoming them simpler.

To be more driven like Te doms/aux, to be better at accessing my emotions like Fe/Fi doms, and to be able to access Si without it causing me major issues like ISxJs can would relieve some troubles for me. I know I can work on those things without needing to be a different type by darnit if my Peeness isn't super massive, my Ne oudda control and my T prohibitive to allowing emotions to take over!

It's strange for me. I am happy with who I am, and I have never had issues with my identity (to which I am very greatful for). Part of me very much wants to be an ENTJ. Here's the thing though. Part of me assumes that I will be "problem free" if I were to be this. It's extremely likely (in fact, I will go insofar as to say it will happen) that if I were to become an ENTJ, I would have the good, and the bad associated with it. I would lose a lot of my abillities with human connection, and understanding the human condition in general. This is major piece to whom I am and I am not sure if I would want to lose that.

[MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION] Its not that I can't be artistic but I think that "artist" is the primary mode for isfp's, which I envy.

Something with a T so I could hide my emotions better and think straighter.

Reactions: Gaze
I'm very content with who I am. However the stress of working (constantly dealing with people for hours and hours) really messes me up to the point where I can't hold down a job. I have an adrenal disease, so my body can't give me the stuff I need to handle stress. So when I DO get stressed for more than a few days, I have random allergic reactions (swelling, hives, the works) and get very very ill under what most people consider normal stress. So if I have to pretend to be extroverted for more than 3 hours, I begin to disintegrate. Its sad, its like I'm literally allergic to people. That has been incredibly hard to explain to a family and group of friends that are extroverts and sometimes I'd love to have social situations give me energy. But I think my personality and the INFJ parts of me are some of my greatest gifts, so that stress is the price I pay I guess :) Its taken years to make the best of it. All that to say, I think my life would be easier if there was a switch I could flip, but I love me and respect the way I'm made.

Fuck no. Y'all are ridiculous for wanting to.

"I have some problems and these problems must be due to being
an INFJ, since I'm an INFJ, so if I became another type the problems
would disappear and I would be happy foreverrr."

You are what you are, so work with that.

and besides, INFJ is the best type EVER.

i didn't even know there are other types! but, i've had enough trouble adjusting to being this type. throw that away - and start all over again?

Well, ideally, I'd be a ST-type, because those are the types that get the most validation from the environment. So, perhaps, ISTJ.

But I'm happy as the type I am.

:thumb: very nice. Where do you differ in opinion with your istj family if I may ask?

@Sali
I appreciate the stability and practicality of istj's, their logical way of seeing things, and their ability to not be so affected by the problems of this world. I wish sometimes that I could simply stop taking on concerns that don't affect me personally.

They seem to not value the things I feel are important: a deep concern with others not in my daily life, contemplation and improvement of the self, thinking for myself and not being willing to do things simply because they've always been done that way, taking the time I do to to be creative and write poetry, looking for purpose and meaning in life, and being understanding and accepting that other viewpoints are valid.

While I understand that we must do the things the world requires of us, it seems as though they are only concerned with the trappings of simple existence for its own sake. I feel I'm more in tune with the deeper aspects of life, and strive to learn and grow. I sense they don't appreciate this, and are disturbed by the fact that I don't see the world as they do.

They are able to just go to work, come home, do the necessary chores there, escape into the realm of TV to unwind; then repeat. I am envious of their satisfaction in living this way, and wish I could stop feeling so much. Yet I believe there is much more to life than this.

Rather than accepting that I am different, I've attempted to conform. All this has done is made me unhappy with myself, and not allowed them to really see me. I'm only just learning now that I'd rather be myself apart from them, than to lead a false life simply to please them. This creates much discomfort for me, as I'd rather not take a stand and cause dissension. But recently I've found that denying myself and allowing others to invalidate me is worse, and I've been greatly hurt and confused in my attempts to do so. I'm going to try not to do that anymore.

They are satisfied with how things are in a way I can never be. I need to feel I can make a difference. They call me a fool for taking in temporary stray animals till they can be adopted, and for sheltering homeless kids until I can help them find housing. I believe I'm doing the right thing, even though it's something they find shocking and would never do.

In conclusion, as much as I'd like the acceptance of my extended family, I know I'm not likely to receive it. I'm willing to meet them halfway, but not compromise myself more than that anymore. I feel living a life I can be proud of is more important than having their approval.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze