If you could change your type would you? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

If you could change your type would you?

INTJ

Hands down.

or maybe even ISFJ.

Way to revive a thread, man! I'll think about it and get back to you.

It would be more natural and I wouldn't have
to work so hard/ignore so much of myself.

Have you attempted to try and strike up conversations in the past? or do you find it simply to draining? or is there anxiety involved? I do believe that introverts seem to have a tendency towards anxiety problems and shyness in general.

I do start conversations with people, but not at first, I'll generally get approached by others, but will start up conversations with someone if I've met them before in a larger group.

I don't think I find it draining, I'm just shy and nervous and also don't feel the urge to just start up conversations wherever I go, I'd rather know in advance that the person I'm going to talk to will interest me.

Would this be a permanent change?

Thing is, I spent a lot of time and energy developing myself. I'd like to think I have enough self respect not to waste such a tremendous investment.
Granted, I'd love to gain insight into the thought processes of others, but at what cost? I'm assuming making such a change would substantially effect my grasp on identity and thus affect my ability to deal with reality effectively. I would have to rethink my entire life. Is the benefit great enough to warrant the pain and risk of mental insanity?

My mind is worth too much to play with so casually.

It's strange for me. I am happy with who I am, and I have never had issues with my identity (to which I am very greatful for). Part of me very much wants to be an ENTJ. Here's the thing though. Part of me assumes that I will be "problem free" if I were to be this. It's extremely likely (in fact, I will go insofar as to say it will happen) that if I were to become an ENTJ, I would have the good, and the bad associated with it. I would lose a lot of my abillities with human connection, and understanding the human condition in general. This is major piece to whom I am and I am not sure if I would want to lose that.

So true. That is the exact reason I wrote "I would never want to lose my F" in my reply. I was just too lazy to articulate it at the time. Hehe. Strong T's seem to be so stable but there is a certain emptiness I see in them.

No, but I would like to work on becoming the healthier version of my type instead of the overly emotional needy bitch I have been lately.

Hah, that sounded so dramatic. I'm not upset or anything. It's just something I have noticed. I'm a work in progress.

Reactions: Neuropedia
[MENTION=37]Lurker[/MENTION]

I see, so you would say that your functions are dominant enough that they are repressing your ability to grow in other areas?

Not repressing to the point of stagnancy, growth is still a choice, it's just like most things strength in one area often leads to a weakness in another, I can work on improving areas I see as flawed without hating on my ENTPness. If I were another type my strengths and weaknesses would simply change.

For me developing Ne is like breathing, on the other hand developing Se for example is hard to fathom, it can be done but the effort it takes me to do so is tremendous as my natural instincts work against it. Working on anything that doesn't come easy takes time, commitment and practice.

When someone says they want to be another type they are likely only looking at the natural weaknesses they have that the other type has as a natural strength and ignoring what the weaknesses are of the other type.

[MENTION=2596]ImNotFullyJressed[/MENTION]

Interesting, what advantages do you see to extroversion?

Well it's pretty obvious what the advantages are. It's an extroverted world. The only problem is there would probably be more distractions in my life.

Could it be possible that your growth has lead you to a more true you? or do you think external factors have played a bigger role?

I would have to say inner growth would takes precedent. I know that external factors play a part, but it's kind of difficult for me to gauge the impact.

I understand where you're coming from here, do you have a stable group of friends that understand these complex issues in a way that your family can't?

[MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION]

Well, I don't know about stable, lol, but to be absolutely honest, this forum is the only place I feel valued, where my views are understood and sometimes even shared.

Can I move in the INFJ clubhousewith you guys?

Sali, thanks for asking why I would prefer T over F.

This could be an entirely wrong assumption but I think it would be good if my first reaction to something was not an emotional one. I would like to be able to operate more rationally rather than get caught up in the way I feel first. Does this sound like a reasonable idea of what it is like to be more T than F?

[MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION], I would like to be more detail oriented, yes. I tend to skip over important details exceedingly often, and do poorly in exams and such because of it. Not only that, but I would stop losing/misplacing things all of the time, and my driving at 60 km/h wouldn't be hazardous to people's lives.

Reactions: jyrffw54