If you could change your type would you? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

If you could change your type would you?

If I had to choose a type to change to I would pick INTJ I guess, since it leaves my
main function in tact. Te+Fi would be pretty sweet too. I would actually get things
done and feel ways about things. Hell, I might even prefer the thought of being INTJ
over INFJ. Just kidding. INFJ fucking owns INTJ.

I'm also pretty damn curious to know what being extraverted is like, sooo like, an EP
type would be fun to be. EJ would be nicht so fun. ENTP doesn't seem too interesting,
but ENFP/ESFP/ESTP = hells yeah. Actually, being the introverted versions of those
would be pretty cool too. Yeahhhhh.

Now, to craft some characters...

Why do you believe that you could not become more outgoing in the type you are already? I was under the impression that introversion and extroversion where a matter of where your psychic energy comes from but I could very well be wrong.

I'm not sure, most of my observations come from watching other people, predominantly E's participate in social situations. they simply seem far more at ease in a crowded situation than most of the I's that I know.

they are happy to simply talk to anyone and everyone, whereas the INFJ's and iNTJ's I know tend to want to stick to a very small select group of people, and it is hard for us to let new people into that small select group.

and it is only sometimes I feel this way, and mostly out of envy that I'm not able to strike up a conversation with a new person. for the most part I am happy and secure in my type and accept and appreciate the unique perspective it gives me compared to most of my friends.

Every type has their own personal problems. Why would you want to trade your problems with unfamiliar ones?

actually it'd be kinda easy to be a holier-than-thou in-charge unquestioned estj.
I'd just have no choice but to hate myself.

Reactions: aerosol
nope

[MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION]
sorry about the late response.
i'm just curious to see what it'd be like to be naturally extraverted. i imagine that extraverts tend to be less depressed because i just assume they are less likely to look inward to the extent that introverts do, and therefore not ask themselves depressing questions. they seem more in tune with their environment, and cheering them up is probably easier.
i could be totally wrong, though.

and umm yeah i guess i've been depressed. but haven't we all and blah blah.

When an extravert feels depressed, it probably doesn't last long.
(so probably isn't technically depression, which I think implies a
prolonged state). Introverts, I think, are more concerned with
where there life is going in the long-term, or who they are as a
person, or what their beliefs are, or whatever, so they will feel
strong emotions based on personal dilemmas, whereas the emo-
tion of an extravert is going to be based more on a situation as
it is unfolding. I am probably severely over-simplifying.

Reactions: Chamomile
i don't think anyone should change their type they should just love themselves for who they are

Reactions: grt$5vb
No, don't want to change but just want to learn to work with it more.

Actually, if I'm honest, it would be good to be more T than F.

Enfp. Honestly so.

but saru you're so lovely just the way you are

So when I DO get stressed for more than a few days, I have random allergic reactions (swelling, hives, the works) and get very very ill under what most people consider normal stress. So if I have to pretend to be extroverted for more than 3 hours, I begin to disintegrate. Its sad, its like I'm literally allergic to people. That has been incredibly hard to explain to a family and group of friends that are extroverts and sometimes I'd love to have social situations give me energy. But I think my personality and the INFJ parts of me are some of my greatest gifts, so that stress is the price I pay I guess :) Its taken years to make the best of it. All that to say, I think my life would be easier if there was a switch I could flip, but I love me and respect the way I'm made.

I struggle with this as well. Too much extroverted energy leaves me feeling exposed and close to feeling extremely uncomfortable with interacting with people after a while.

@Sali
I appreciate the stability and practicality of istj's, their logical way of seeing things, and their ability to not be so affected by the problems of this world. I wish sometimes that I could simply stop taking on concerns that don't affect me personally.

. . .

While I understand that we must do the things the world requires of us, it seems as though they are only concerned with the trappings of simple existence for its own sake. I feel I'm more in tune with the deeper aspects of life, and strive to learn and grow. I sense they don't appreciate this, and are disturbed by the fact that I don't see the world as they do.

They are able to just go to work, come home, do the necessary chores there, escape into the realm of TV to unwind; then repeat. I am envious of their satisfaction in living this way, and wish I could stop feeling so much. Yet I believe there is much more to life than this.

Rather than accepting that I am different, I've attempted to conform. All this has done is made me unhappy with myself, and not allowed them to really see me. I'm only just learning now that I'd rather be myself apart from them, than to lead a false life simply to please them. This creates much discomfort for me, as I'd rather not take a stand and cause dissension. But recently I've found that denying myself and allowing others to invalidate me is worse, and I've been greatly hurt and confused in my attempts to do so. I'm going to try not to do that anymore.

+1,000

Last edited:
nein, I wouldn't :)
I love being an INFJ ^_^

Not a fan of being an INFP . . . would prefer being an INTJ or an ENTJ - they seem to have a better handle on their emotions.

Not a fan of being an INFP . . . would prefer being an INTJ or an ENTJ - they seem to have a better handle on their emotions.

Not true. This INTJ is just better at hiding them. I suppress a great deal of my emotions because they impair my ability to weigh my thoughts. That's fine for most of life but there are issues that can't be decided with logic and I'm really poor at just doing something because it feels right or makes me happy. Those sort of decisions causes me great distress. Emotional overload in this INTJ isn't pretty. Just imagine the robot that says, "This does not compute. This does not compute." Whirring and smoke. In that sort of situation, I will flee to the hills.

Not true. This INTJ is just better at hiding them. I suppress a great deal of my emotions because they impair my ability to weigh my thoughts. That's fine for most of life but there are issues that can't be decided with logic and I'm really poor at just doing something because it feels right or makes me happy. Those sort of decisions causes me great distress. Emotional overload in this INTJ isn't pretty. Just imagine the robot that says, "This does not compute. This does not compute." Whirring and smoke. In that sort of situation, I will flee to the hills.

Yeah, I know it's not necessarily easy for TJs to deal with the emotions, but i admire their ability to hide them. Sometimes, it's tiring wearing your heart on your sleave (irl). I wouldn't mind the ability to be and seem unaffected.

[MENTION=2926]Bird[/MENTION]
ENTJ.

I yearn for stability.

I'm having trouble understanding what is unstable for you or why you wouldn't be able to gain more stability while still remaining INFJ?

[MENTION=2096]DevilDoll[/MENTION]
The only thing i'd like it for is so that I will notice physical details about things. I tend to be in my head so much that I completely pass over things that are very blatantly obvious. How would it help me? Well, I'd be a better WoW player and I think it'd help with my creative eye and my modeling, but I don't think it would make a drastic difference in my life.

Intriguing, do you believe it would be worth losing the parts of your personality that would be minimized in order to gain those abilities? and what class do you play? :D

[MENTION=1798]notmeganfox[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION] Well they're not stuuuuuppiiiddd but aren't able to stick to rationality as close as thinkers. Way too easy to lose control to how they feel.

I find this point of view interesting. I would tend to agree to some extent, I try to remain rational but can be overrun by emotions at times. Particularly the emotions of envy or helplessness although I'm unsure if these are related to personality.

[MENTION=2434]Sloe Djinn[/MENTION]
I would only consent to a natural change, meaning a change that is brought about by my own actions and experiences.

I used to type as INFJ and now I've been coming up as ISFP (I don't feel artistic at all btw)

But I would never want to just magically flip a switch to make myself an extrovert or anything like that. I don't always feel happy, and a lot of the time I don't like myself, but I would nonetheless want to earn whatever changes I go through by challenging myself and learning from my mistakes as painful as it can be.

To instantly change into another type, no matter how attractive it seems, would not involve any true growth, and would be like a big middle finger to everything I've seen and done up to this point. It's not worth much, and there's a lot that I do regret, but I'd rather work my way through it.

That's just in my case though...

Could it be possible that your growth has lead you to a more true you? or do you think external factors have played a bigger role?

[MENTION=2596]ImNotFullyJressed[/MENTION]
I would never choose anything other than myself. Although my life can be secretive and lonely, it is also beautiful and I don't think I would see the same beauty if I was something other than INFJ.

But if I had to choose: ENFJ.

I would never want to lose my F.

Interesting, what advantages do you see to extroversion?

[MENTION=3671]ultrauber[/MENTION]
nah, I like looking like an awkward nerd while the people who really know me think I'm awesome

I find this perception interesting, what behaviors do you believe that you exhibit that leads you to the conclusion of appearing an "awkward nerd" as you put it?

[MENTION=3710]kiu[/MENTION]
At first, I thought, "Yes, I would love to change my type." However, when it comes down to it, I like my personality. It's other people that rub me the wrong way. Therefore, I elect to change everyone else's type to the one most compatible with intjs. The problem is that there is no consensus on which type is most compatible.

Hmmm, I tend to think this is somewhat of a trend among introverts, not just INTJs, I do notice a strong push for people to be "together" people assume that when I'm alone for long periods that I am lonely, that is not in fact the case.

[MENTION=37]Lurker[/MENTION]
Nah, DevilDoll is correct, ENTP is da bomb... but I would like to change some of my natural weaknesses that I have yet to master to some of the natural strengths of other types that would make overcoming them simpler.

To be more driven like Te doms/aux, to be better at accessing my emotions like Fe/Fi doms, and to be able to access Si without it causing me major issues like ISxJs can would relieve some troubles for me. I know I can work on those things without needing to be a different type by darnit if my Peeness isn't super massive, my Ne oudda control and my T prohibitive to allowing emotions to take over!

I see, so you would say that your functions are dominant enough that they are repressing your ability to grow in other areas?

[MENTION=387]IndigoSensor[/MENTION]
It's strange for me. I am happy with who I am, and I have never had issues with my identity (to which I am very greatful for). Part of me very much wants to be an ENTJ. Here's the thing though. Part of me assumes that I will be "problem free" if I were to be this. It's extremely likely (in fact, I will go insofar as to say it will happen) that if I were to become an ENTJ, I would have the good, and the bad associated with it. I would lose a lot of my abillities with human connection, and understanding the human condition in general. This is major piece to whom I am and I am not sure if I would want to lose that.

I think I understand what you're saying. My father is an ENTJ and is very driven and proactive in his approaches, he is a doer not a ponderer. Although he doesn't necessarily lack the human empathy which I think it sometimes associated with being a T type, he isn't necessarily as socially reserved and careful of not offending people as I think other types might be. That's not to say he intentionally offends anyone, just that I'm not sure it's something he ever takes into consideration at all.

[MENTION=3802]daydreamer[/MENTION]
Something with a T so I could hide my emotions better and think straighter.

Do you wish to hide your emotions from yourself or from the world?

[MENTION=3900]Chamomile[/MENTION]
I'm very content with who I am. However the stress of working (constantly dealing with people for hours and hours) really messes me up to the point where I can't hold down a job. I have an adrenal disease, so my body can't give me the stuff I need to handle stress. So when I DO get stressed for more than a few days, I have random allergic reactions (swelling, hives, the works) and get very very ill under what most people consider normal stress. So if I have to pretend to be extroverted for more than 3 hours, I begin to disintegrate. Its sad, its like I'm literally allergic to people. That has been incredibly hard to explain to a family and group of friends that are extroverts and sometimes I'd love to have social situations give me energy. But I think my personality and the INFJ parts of me are some of my greatest gifts, so that stress is the price I pay I guess :) Its taken years to make the best of it. All that to say, I think my life would be easier if there was a switch I could flip, but I love me and respect the way I'm made.

All I can say to this is :hug: :(

[MENTION=3538]Arsal[/MENTION]
Well, ideally, I'd be a ST-type, because those are the types that get the most validation from the environment. So, perhaps, ISTJ.

But I'm happy as the type I am.

So would it be fair to say you would prefer to be more present minded?

[MENTION=3817]dream echo[/MENTION]
@Sali
I appreciate the stability and practicality of istj's, their logical way of seeing things, and their ability to not be so affected by the problems of this world. I wish sometimes that I could simply stop taking on concerns that don't affect me personally.

They seem to not value the things I feel are important: a deep concern with others not in my daily life, contemplation and improvement of the self, thinking for myself and not being willing to do things simply because they've always been done that way, taking the time I do to to be creative and write poetry, looking for purpose and meaning in life, and being understanding and accepting that other viewpoints are valid.

While I understand that we must do the things the world requires of us, it seems as though they are only concerned with the trappings of simple existence for its own sake. I feel I'm more in tune with the deeper aspects of life, and strive to learn and grow. I sense they don't appreciate this, and are disturbed by the fact that I don't see the world as they do.

They are able to just go to work, come home, do the necessary chores there, escape into the realm of TV to unwind; then repeat. I am envious of their satisfaction in living this way, and wish I could stop feeling so much. Yet I believe there is much more to life than this.

Rather than accepting that I am different, I've attempted to conform. All this has done is made me unhappy with myself, and not allowed them to really see me. I'm only just learning now that I'd rather be myself apart from them, than to lead a false life simply to please them. This creates much discomfort for me, as I'd rather not take a stand and cause dissension. But recently I've found that denying myself and allowing others to invalidate me is worse, and I've been greatly hurt and confused in my attempts to do so. I'm going to try not to do that anymore.

They are satisfied with how things are in a way I can never be. I need to feel I can make a difference. They call me a fool for taking in temporary stray animals till they can be adopted, and for sheltering homeless kids until I can help them find housing. I believe I'm doing the right thing, even though it's something they find shocking and would never do.

In conclusion, as much as I'd like the acceptance of my extended family, I know I'm not likely to receive it. I'm willing to meet them halfway, but not compromise myself more than that anymore. I feel living a life I can be proud of is more important than having their approval.

I understand where you're coming from here, do you have a stable group of friends that understand these complex issues in a way that your family can't?

[MENTION=3846]Artsu Tharaz[/MENTION]
If I had to choose a type to change to I would pick INTJ I guess, since it leaves my
main function in tact. Te+Fi would be pretty sweet too. I would actually get things
done and feel ways about things. Hell, I might even prefer the thought of being INTJ
over INFJ. Just kidding. INFJ fucking owns INTJ.

I'm also pretty damn curious to know what being extraverted is like, sooo like, an EP
type would be fun to be. EJ would be nicht so fun. ENTP doesn't seem too interesting,
but ENFP/ESFP/ESTP = hells yeah. Actually, being the introverted versions of those
would be pretty cool too. Yeahhhhh.

Now, to craft some characters...

hehe, right on. I have wondered what it would be like to gain energy from an external environment on occasion.

[MENTION=3230]Galileo[/MENTION]
I'm not sure, most of my observations come from watching other people, predominantly E's participate in social situations. they simply seem far more at ease in a crowded situation than most of the I's that I know.

they are happy to simply talk to anyone and everyone, whereas the INFJ's and iNTJ's I know tend to want to stick to a very small select group of people, and it is hard for us to let new people into that small select group.

and it is only sometimes I feel this way, and mostly out of envy that I'm not able to strike up a conversation with a new person. for the most part I am happy and secure in my type and accept and appreciate the unique perspective it gives me compared to most of my friends.

Have you attempted to try and strike up conversations in the past? or do you find it simply to draining? or is there anxiety involved? I do believe that introverts seem to have a tendency towards anxiety problems and shyness in general.

[MENTION=2495]88chaz88[/MENTION]
Every type has their own personal problems. Why would you want to trade your problems with unfamiliar ones?

I agree Chaz, I think sometimes people would like a short relief from the current problems though, which would make another type appear very appealing.

[MENTION=3615]aerosol[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION]
sorry about the late response.
i'm just curious to see what it'd be like to be naturally extraverted. i imagine that extraverts tend to be less depressed because i just assume they are less likely to look inward to the extent that introverts do, and therefore not ask themselves depressing questions. they seem more in tune with their environment, and cheering them up is probably easier.
i could be totally wrong, though.

and umm yeah i guess i've been depressed. but haven't we all and blah blah.

I see, I had assumed you meant in depression in the clinical sense of the word, but I do agree it seems as if external stimulation could more easily get an extroverted person out of a funk so to speak.

[MENTION=3849]melbo[/MENTION]
No, don't want to change but just want to learn to work with it more.

Actually, if I'm honest, it would be good to be more T than F.

What advantages do you see in T over F?

[MENTION=3156]saru[/MENTION]
Enfp. Honestly so.

What intrigues you about the ENFP personality? I think I can see where you would enjoy the extroversion part because it seems as if social interaction is something you would like to not drain you. (I could be wrong) but what is appealing about perceiving to you?

[MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION]

Do you think it is an appearance of control over emotions or a real repression?

[MENTION=3949]Detached Retina[/MENTION]
I would gladly switch to INFJ... or BAMF

INFJ is pretty nice and I think you have somebody to fight for the spot of BAMF ;D