How well do you fit your type? | INFJ Forum

How well do you fit your type?

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
I wonder if anyone fits it perfectly.

It's a funny thing. My certainty of having INFJ preferences oscillates. I look at the functional analysis and it fits well, but if I spend too much time probing I find things that don't fit, begin thinking I'm really an INTJ (or recently ISTJ...yuck no offense, but I like idea of INFJ) or make me doubt the theory all together. My first time taking a myers-briggs was in middle school (circa 1997) and I tested as mastermind; I remember it well because I thought the label was cool sounding. I was very happy being called a mastermind. As I've studied more of the theory, I test and believe I am an INFJ, but I did find a backdoor entry to Keirsey's personality test and I believe I tested ISTJ, I've tested inspector or ISTJ a few times before also.

We're too complicated to be jar-ed into a certain category. I have this feeling that once we see our reflection somehow the theory morphs sort of like quantum physics and how a single electron behaves differently if observed than not observed (particle vs waves, respectfully) but we're getting better at defining with our words E/I, S/N, T/F, P/J.

Just a little comment, I dislike the word choice for the last category. "Perceiving versus judging" seems like a lot of people, including myself, get thrown off by that wording.

Thanks for reading,
Clint

Yes, it's hard to fix exactly into a written description of a certain type. True that the profiles are written up to explain how we process information, but none of us are carbon copies of our types, but rather we vary slightly from the profiles, in our own unique ways. Many of us have higher developed components of another type, than someone else of the same type as us. So yea, it's still fun to study though, I think.

There really is no such thing as a perfect type; no one fits every description perfectly. There are stereotypes and assumptions about types that can define you, and I do see that. I think there's an overall, difficult-to-quantify "aura" of one's type, though. Something that, when you see it, you're able to say "Ah! That's the strength/weakness of xxxx."

I wonder how "outdated" MBTI is in its classifications. I mean, we as humans are changing constantly and I think our standards for defining functions can change as well. Especially when it comes to the intake of information. We are exposed to so much information today that it can be hard to discern whether we had it stored somewhere or we "intuited" it. I mean a present-day, 20 year old INFJ is certainly different than the same one 30 years ago. I think it is becoming harder and harder to systematize an individual as the years go by.

edit: well, perhaps it should rather be the responsibility ourselves to see between borders of the system.

Last edited:
i read somewhere that in regards to the MBTI, every individual is an exception to the rule.. implying nobody fits it completely, and I agree with that. it's a simplification of a very complex and multi-integrated system, and obviously can't predict how we're going to react or what motivates us perfectly 100% of the time. it's a theory with a lot of kinks still to be ironed out (like any I suppose!)

This ENTP description is almost completely me. Not perfect, but very close:

Life feels like a constant state of moving from one interesting thing to another, and I can get frustrated when there isn

I wonder if anyone fits it perfectly.

Well, lets see (I took this from similar minds);

ENTP

risk taker, easy going, outgoing, social, open, rule breaker, thrill seeker, life of the party, comfortable in unfamiliar situations, appreciates strangeness, disorganized, adventurous, talented at presentation, aggressive, attention seeking, experience junky, insensitive, adaptable, not easily offended, messy, carefree, dangerous, fearless, careless, emotionally stable, spontaneous, improviser, always joking, player, wild and crazy, dominant, acts without thinking, not into organized religion, pro-weed legalization.

Everything underlined is true about me.

I think it depends though on what your percentages are, I would say I was more of a ENXP than a typical ENTP.

For comparison's sake, I'm doing the underlining method with the traits HotKebab referenced:

risk taker, easy going, outgoing, social, open, rule breaker, thrill seeker, life of the party, comfortable in unfamiliar situations, appreciates strangeness, disorganized, adventurous, talented at presentation, aggressive, attention seeking, experience junky, insensitive, adaptable, not easily offended, messy, carefree, dangerous, fearless, careless, emotionally stable, spontaneous, improviser, always joking, player, wild and crazy, dominant, acts without thinking, not into organized religion, pro-weed legalization.

^^^ underlined traits = traits I have

ADD: I wasn't sure if I should underline "insensitive" or not. A strong case could be made either way.

Last edited:
I'm not warm and fuzzy and whimsical. I've been told I'm cold, distant, and stoic.. I certainly don't give anyone the impression that they can confide in me their pains and secrets, let alone bid me a "good morning."

Other people being emotional around me kind of grosses me out a little (unless I really know you.)

The only thing that fits, is that I am a procrastinator and learn easiest when I can attach a personal feeling to a subject. I also vehemently dig my heels in the ground and refuse to participate in a project that goes against my morals... Plus I'm entirely skittish when it comes to conflict and disharmony.

Well enough for me to accept my type.

Reactions: jn56uytrx
Where the theory is general and abstract it fits me very well. Other types do not. If there is a feature typical of INTJs which I lack, there is an INTJ reason for me lacking it.

I fit my type some ways, but I don't worry about it anymore. I used to go crazy trying to find "my" type and for about ten years I was nearly obsessed with it. Now I recognize who I am: I'm more INFJ, but I do have a bit of INTJ-like qualities. When I first tested I tested as INTJ, but after I dated one I realized we weren't as much alike as I thought.

I'm pretty thoroughly INTP. I think cognitive functions do a better job then MBTI in explaining our minds though.

Kinda. Cognitive functions mess things up completely though.

Meh. I'm kinda INFJ, kinda ENFJ, but I don't feel that I fit comfortably in either.
Doesn't really bug me though.

I wonder how "outdated" MBTI is in its classifications. I mean, we as humans are changing constantly and I think our standards for defining functions can change as well. Especially when it comes to the intake of information. We are exposed to so much information today that it can be hard to discern whether we had it stored somewhere or we "intuited" it. I mean a present-day, 20 year old INFJ is certainly different than the same one 30 years ago. I think it is becoming harder and harder to systematize an individual as the years go by.

It's a good point that, it seems like the MBTI has kind of been left for dead, as far as I know, no one is developing it or continuing it has a system?

I'm not warm and fuzzy and whimsical. I've been told I'm cold, distant, and stoic.. I certainly don't give anyone the impression that they can confide in me their pains and secrets, let alone bid me a "good morning."

Other people being emotional around me kind of grosses me out a little (unless I really know you.)

The only thing that fits, is that I am a procrastinator and learn easiest when I can attach a personal feeling to a subject. I also vehemently dig my heels in the ground and refuse to participate in a project that goes against my morals... Plus I'm entirely skittish when it comes to conflict and disharmony.

I swear to god, I'm looking more and more INFP everyday.

I will have to echo some of the sentiments shared here and say that it would be rare for anyone to fit their type perfectly. Furthermore, for those that have been familiar with MBTI for a while now and claim that they are the pinnacle of their type, I would be tempted to advise them to take a second look at their traits and ask themselves honestly whether their type fits them or whether they themselves are fitting into their type. It's frighteningly easy to get into the habit of "Well, ______ do X. I am a ______. Therefore, I must do X (instead of Y) too." Or in the same vein, trying to amass all the attractive qualities and apply them to one's type in order to indirectly implicate one as sharing those qualities when one does not at all. When this is the case, it becomes less about self-discovery than it does about peacocking one's personality type and trying to appear more attractive to others. And that's just missing the entire point of discovering one's MBTI. It should be about who you really are, rather than fitting the mold.

But ranting aside, I think I'm more or less a good fit for INFJ. Of course, I don't share all the qualities, but overall, there is a general "feel" to the type that I can safely ascribe to myself. Ultimately, though, I am a vastly different person than say Arbygil, Von Hase, Indigo or QuestingPoet, all of whom share their type with me.

Last edited: