How do you view your weight? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

How do you view your weight?

For me the best descriptive word would be petite, and I’m not going to complain.

Last edited:
wouldn't mind losing some weight but i wouldn't go out of my way to do it. also, i like food too much :p

How do you view your weight whether thinner, bigger, etc. . . . ?

I consider myself to be a big person. I am stocky and fit the build of the Endomorph description.
It sucks because I have to pay very special attention to what I eat. I'm on a low sugar, moderate carbohydrate, high protein diet.

Do you see yourself / your weight the way others do?

I tend to see myself bigger than other people see me. I hate weighing myself on the scales but my trainers insist that I do. :m169:

Do you have weight goals? Gain or lose?

Since the photos I took that are in my gallery, I have lost 20kg (about 40 pounds) I have to lose another 20kg more before I am deemed fit to represent my Boxing and Muay Thai Boxing club as a fighter. At the moment I focusing on fitness over weight loss.

Do you see your weight as having a direct influence on your identity or personality, or do you see it as distinct from who you are as a person?

No so much weight loss, but the muscle that I have gained has had an influence on me. When I look at myself in the mirror I have a pretty good idea on how I want to look, I visualize on what I could look like. The last thing I want is to look like a twig.

Last edited:

I consider my weight to be a problem. I'm always either gaining (size 12/14) or losing weight (size 6/8), my clothes are often too tight or too loose, and I can't maintain for very long without constant effort.

No, I think I have some type of body dysmorphia. Even at my thinnest I feel fat, and I think I'm often in denial about how big I am when I start to gain too. Seeing pictures of myself at a high or low weight is always a shock.

I honestly don't care what the scale says, but I think I look best as a size 8, that's typically my goal.

Do you see your weight as having a direct influence on your identity or personality, or do you see it as distinct from who you are as a person?

Yes. If I manage to get down to goal I always feel obsessed with food and I don't like where I am mentally. When I'm heavier I'm more insecure and my sex life suffers, but I think I'm happier in general. I would love to be able to find a balance.

Last edited:
Those of us who, like me, realize due to medical issues, age, body type, ect that we will never have a classically skinny figure, how do you feel about that?

I am working towards acceptance of this myself. Trying to find the beauty inside despite the body outside.

Those of us who, like me, realize due to medical issues, age, body type, ect that we will never have a classically skinny figure, how do you feel about that?

Sometimes worried, but i'm starting to accept it. I know i need to spend more time taking care of my body/health.

I view my weight with suspicion. My current weight is good; I run, I eat right, but eight or nine years ago I weighed 65 lbs. more than I do now and couldn't stay on an elliptical machine for more than 2 minutes. I am ever vigilant should my weight start to creep upward.

I dislike it; I've lost 90 lbs so far and still feel the same (even though I know I look better.)

I'm sure I don't... others probably see me better than I see myself

I need to lose another 30 or so to reach the upper end of my 'ideal' weight for my height ... compared to what i've lost so far, though, I'm 75-80% of the way there!

I don't know about that... it certain compels me to stay alone tho... it's only because I've made it this far that I've opened myself to my crush at all.

As kind of irrelevant. If I told you how much I weighed and you saw me it wouldn't make sense.
I'm not muscular, I'm not over weight, and my bone structure is medium.. I'm tall so maybe that spreads it evenly.
Otherwise my skeletal system is made of plutonium!

I am working towards acceptance of this myself. Trying to find the beauty inside despite the body outside.

It's frustrating, but you can only do what you can do. If you're eating the right things and using your muscles well, and your tests keep coming back normal, there's not a heck of a lot you can do except accepting who you are, right now.

And I tell you what else helps: Looking at TV shows like, "How to look good naked" and "What not to wear." Those shows have various body types on there, and you really do start to realize that you can look good at any shape - and you don't need to worry about what everyone "thinks" about you.

I'm one that defies the BMI. When I step on the scale, the doc says, "You should lose 30-50 pounds." When my body fat is tested; they stand corrected. I only need to lose 10-15 pounds to be no more than 22% body fat (which is quite fine for women.) Any more than 20 pounds and I risk losing my period. I have enough problems with that already.

I don't really want to lose weight as much as I want it redistributed. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and this means that my body stores most of its fat in my abdomen as a result, leaving me bony everywhere else with this HUGE belly. So I nearly always look a bit pregnant; although usually I don't have the symptoms I am having now! Tests are currently inconclusive; and many women with PCOS have said that a stick test didn't register any hormone levels until they were 5 months along!

Sorry for the bit of off topic. At any rate if my belly were as thin as the rest of me, I wouldn't be wearing a size 16, I'd be a 10.

Why be skinny when you can be healthy?
I get very frustrated by the medias influence on society when It comes to the ideal figure (which turns out to be some starving celebrity or a photoshopped model). Genetics also comes into play as well, not everyone is an Ectomorph. http://www.brainyweightloss.com/three-body-types.html

Our definition of health has been thrown out the window, our exceptions have been blown out of proportion.

You must be healthy to lose weight properly. Crash diets will only lead to failure, disappointment and more weight than before.

garfield_dieting.jpg

Last edited:
I'm one that defies the BMI. When I step on the scale, the doc says, "You should lose 30-50 pounds." When my body fat is tested; they stand corrected. I only need to lose 10-15 pounds to be no more than 22% body fat (which is quite fine for women.) Any more than 20 pounds and I risk losing my period. I have enough problems with that already.

I don't really want to lose weight as much as I want it redistributed. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and this means that my body stores most of its fat in my abdomen as a result, leaving me bony everywhere else with this HUGE belly. So I nearly always look a bit pregnant; although usually I don't have the symptoms I am having now! Tests are currently inconclusive; and many women with PCOS have said that a stick test didn't register any hormone levels until they were 5 months along!

Sorry for the bit of off topic. At any rate if my belly were as thin as the rest of me, I wouldn't be wearing a size 16, I'd be a 10.

Hmmm, I am starting to question whether or not I have PCOS because I have very irregular periods...In fact, I NEVER get it in the summer, and this year I have only had it 3 times in March, June, and September. I have been getting it since the age of 11 and have never normalized.
What are the symptoms/signs of it?

Hmmm, I am starting to question whether or not I have PCOS because I have very irregular periods...In fact, I NEVER get it in the summer, and this year I have only had it 3 times in March, June, and September. I have been getting it since the age of 11 and have never normalized.
What are the symptoms/signs of it?
Your still quite young to be worried about it...you can get tested but the test are inconclusive...you can have symptoms and not have it. I have always had irregular cycles, and now with everything thats going on...its hard to decide what I have and dont have. I have been diagnosed with PCOS...but i have very few symptoms...

I work out, all my tests are normal (with medications) I eat right. what else is there to do?

It is what it is, I could do with some more musculls.

I am a skinny girl. I'd say thin, but I really don't weight enough for that. However, I just view it as genetics. I feel it compliments my frame and really does work for me. In most ways, I enjoy it.

No, I don't. I see myself as genetically small, but still healthy. Most other people assume that I stay there by unhealthy means. If I had a dollars for each time someone asked me if I had an eating disorder or told me I needed to eat, I'd have thousands. It gets really old, really fast.

Nope. I might like to be over 100 at some point in my life, but right now I am completely happy with how I look.

I don't think it has anything to do with my personality. However, it is the first thing people seem to notice about me so it can't really be avoided when dealing with people and first impressions. That sometimes causes problems. Other than that, it's just a physical attribute. One I definitely enjoy, but it doesn't define me.

The way I look and my weight is a real sore point with me. I am an extreme ectomorph, very very NATURALLY thin. Think Twiggy, Kate Moss at her skinniest, really stick thin. I have always been that way, I have very slight, lightweight bones and it is genetic. I've tried to gain weight but it's just not going to happen, I have a high metabolism and a small stomach. I have small boobs too. Throughout my life I have had people call me anorexic, and many spiteful things, it has led to very very low self esteem. Not to mention the amount of rejection from men because of the way I look. My experience has taught me that the vast majority of men love curves and big breasts, and that's fine, I understand and I know how hideous I am, I just wish people would leave me alone and not stare, not whisper, not laugh at me when I'm on the beach in a bikini. Though I won't be going back to the beach in a bikini after the last time I got laughed at.

I've had overweight people lash out at me too, some think I don't get anywhere near the bad treatment they do, they don't realize it goes both ways, I've ben told I am ugly because I'm so boney. People don't seem to realize that for a few, we are born naturally very thin. I have health problems from it too, my bones are very weak and brittle, my back and neck are easily put out because there is so little fat and muscle to hold it all together, that rules out a lot of jobs that involves lifting and very physical work, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and am constantly exhausted. My veins are so tiny that when I have to have blood drawn they have difficulty finding a vein and I get stabbed several times with the needle. It is very hard to find clothes that fit me. I can't wear short skirts because my knees are too boney and my legs too thin, it looks awful. I'd love to have big boobs and have more flesh but it is not meant to be, I'm not one of the beautiful people, I'm not sexy or a "hottie."

I have gotten used to myself over the years but am still very self conscious. I realize though that there are thousands of people way worse off than me, people living with burns and disfigurements, that puts it all into perspective. I am what I am, what a shame society is so rigid and unaccepting and dictates to us what is deemed as desirable. On rare occasions people say nice things, I've been told that I look "ethereal" (hence the username, lol) and I'm like a faery. I like to think I'm half elven and somehow got stuck in the wrong realm.

Reactions: DevilDoll
The way I look and my weight is a real sore point with me. I am an extreme ectomorph, very very NATURALLY thin. Think Twiggy, Kate Moss at her skinniest, really stick thin. I have always been that way, I have very slight, lightweight bones and it is genetic. I've tried to gain weight but it's just not going to happen, I have a high metabolism and a small stomach. I have small boobs too. Throughout my life I have had people call me anorexic, and many spiteful things, it has led to very very low self esteem. Not to mention the amount of rejection from men because of the way I look. My experience has taught me that the vast majority of men love curves and big breasts, and that's fine, I understand and I know how hideous I am, I just wish people would leave me alone and not stare, not whisper, not laugh at me when I'm on the beach in a bikini. Though I won't be going back to the beach in a bikini after the last time I got laughed at.

I've had overweight people lash out at me too, some think I don't get anywhere near the bad treatment they do, they don't realize it goes both ways, I've ben told I am ugly because I'm so boney. People don't seem to realize that for a few, we are born naturally very thin. I have health problems from it too, my bones are very weak and brittle, my back and neck are easily put out because there is so little fat and muscle to hold it all together, that rules out a lot of jobs that involves lifting and very physical work, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and am constantly exhausted. My veins are so tiny that when I have to have blood drawn they have difficulty finding a vein and I get stabbed several times with the needle. It is very hard to find clothes that fit me. I can't wear short skirts because my knees are too boney and my legs too thin, it looks awful. I'd love to have big boobs and have more flesh but it is not meant to be, I'm not one of the beautiful people, I'm not sexy or a "hottie."

I have gotten used to myself over the years but am still very self conscious. I realize though that there are thousands of people way worse off than me, people living with burns and disfigurements, that puts it all into perspective. I am what I am, what a shame society is so rigid and unaccepting and dictates to us what is deemed as desirable. On rare occasions people say nice things, I've been told that I look "ethereal" (hence the username, lol) and I'm like a faery. I like to think I'm half elven and somehow got stuck in the wrong realm.

It's good to get a different perspective on being thin. Thx for sharing.

i am what I am...I am who I am.

I feel sometimes that my weight is a big mask...hiding the real me inside.

Yeah, people will too often see the physical appearance and weight, and create an expectation of how someone should be or act, then dismiss what is right in front of them. I think that's why I don't like taking pictures or showing pictures of myself, because as much as people may seem to be very nice and accepting, fact is, we are human and have a tendency to judge based on the physical. I know I'm judged on my physical appearance in ways that are very limiting/restrictive, but since I can't control this, i've learned or am learning to let it go, realizing that i'm better of appreciating who I am without the external validation. It's a tough position to take or hold but still worth it.