How do you view your weight? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

How do you view your weight?

Then it is off to the gym you go.

Can't afford gym, I just have one of those girly giant rubber band thingies (when I remember to use it).

Jogging won't give me muscles!?

Jogging won't give me muscles!?

Jogging will get rid of excess fat which in turn will make muscle definition much more noticeable.

You won't bulk up, but you'll be lean and defined.

Jogging will get rid of excess fat which in turn will make muscle definition much more noticeable.

:m123:Yes Bird is right He/She know's what He/She is talking about.

:m114: In all honesty you don't need a Gym brother. You can stick to the exercises you can do at home. Like push up's and multiple forms of Ab exercises. The only thing you need to do is increase the amount you (of push up's for example) you do in succession and increase the reps over time.

Also! very important, for optimal results. Please switch to a high protein diet. You can find allot about those on youtube and google search. (Cause your body need building blocks, and it will also help you slim down).

Last but not least, nothing comes easy. There is no such thing as a 6 minutes a day 6 pack or a 15 minutes bulk up routine. You have to be willing to work hard to get results.

Reactions: Bird
I view my weight as an unpleasant side effect of years of depression. Looking better physically would be nice, but that is honestly the last thing I care about right now in regards to my weight.

I have an extreme apple shape, all of my weight is in my stomach area and I have quite a few health problems. I've had hypertension for a long time. Years.

I'm still working on getting into the mindset that it is necessary that I get into shape for my healths sake. It's still hard to motivate myself to really buckle down and make the changes I need.

I'm honestly scared sometimes because I can feel physically the effect it has on my health, how my heart beats and how it feels when I breathe...it's really disturbing.

I've been inactive for so much of my life that starting a work out routine is very intimidating to me, but I know I need to do it. Any advice for an absolute beginner? Just start out small, going on walks every day, and work your way up?

Reactions: Soulful
I view my weight as an unpleasant side effect of years of depression. Looking better physically would be nice, but that is honestly the last thing I care about right now in regards to my weight.

I have an extreme apple shape, all of my weight is in my stomach area and I have quite a few health problems. I've had hypertension for a long time. Years.

I'm still working on getting into the mindset that it is necessary that I get into shape for my healths sake. It's still hard to motivate myself to really buckle down and make the changes I need.

I'm honestly scared sometimes because I can feel physically the effect it has on my health, how my heart beats and how it feels when I breathe...it's really disturbing.

I've been inactive for so much of my life that starting a work out routine is very intimidating to me, but I know I need to do it. Any advice for an absolute beginner? Just start out small, going on walks every day, and work your way up?

No, just go for it and exhaust yourself. Work until it hurts too much to keep going; you can't push the limits if you don't reach it. Remember that it will get much easier the more you do it, and that the first times are really the hardest. Don't be intimidated either. If someone is being a prick and gets in your way, punch them (okay, maybe not really). The point is that it is your health, especially your mental health, and it is important to be able to feel good from physical activity.

Also, do other things to relieve stress (and tension) as that will help. Like if you can, take yoga classes or something. Meditate. Whatever works for you.

Can't afford gym, I just have one of those girly giant rubber band thingies (when I remember to use it).

There are plenty of exercises you can do without a gym such as body resistant exercises;

• Chin ups
  • Push ups
  • Sit ups
  • Dips
  • Body weight squats
If you are feeling brave and after a real workout then I suggest joining a local boxing club, most boxing clubs in New Zealand and other western countries are generally cheap to attend. I pay $2 bucks per session at my club ($16 bucks a month). I started going when I had six rolls and now I have a six pack. Anyways, joining a sports club (dosn't have to be boxing, it could be hockey, cricket etc.) will give you a strong reason to work out on a regular basis.

[MENTION=3240]neptunesguns[/MENTION]
Yes, start out small and work your way up. The biggest reason people's workout regimens fail is they go to hard too fast and get either hurt or overwhelmed.
Have you ever heard of couch2 5k?
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to give it a shot even though I have always kind of hated running. It seems like a very logical way to get into it and you can go at your own pace.

Walking is always a good idea.

Good luck! :)

Skipping is good too.

I get anxious when I have to run because it means me leaving the house and meeting the public. :m169:...
Skipping is good for those that are antisocial.

You can purchase weighted vests to add resistance to your running.

I'm kinda skinny I suppose, but short. I look much fatter than I am though, because I have horribly large breasts. I wish that they were smaller so I looked more in proportion. Apart from that I think my body is okay.

I've been the same weight since I was thirteen, but my breasts have grown. I'm not really sure how that works.

neptunesguns

First of all for anyone that is suffering with depression needs one of these - :hug:
Wouldn't the world be a happier place if we hugged each other more often?

Secondly for anyone that is new to exercising needs to take it easy to start off with.
My recommendations would be weightlifting (seek professional advice from a trainer before starting out), walking or swimming.

Benefits of Weight Lifting.

• Weight lifting strengthens the joints and the muscles.
  • Speeds up your resting metabolism and strengthens your immune system.
  • Is known to help prevent and reduce osteoporosis, onset diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and breast cancer (by lowering estrogen levels) stress and anxiety.
  • Improves flexibility and reducing the chances of muscular related injuries.
What weightlifting won't do (for females).

• Weight lifting make you look like a man - No you will not look a man, despite how much you lift weights and workout you will still retain your feminine build. The females that resemble the build of the 'Hulk' are usually professional bodybuilders, for them it depends on genetics, strict dieting, years of intense training and anabolic drugs, not from training recreationally.
Lastly I suggest people to stay away from exercise machines that are advertised on TV. They are usually poorly made gadgets designed to rob you of your money and bring unwanted frustration.

Benefits of Walking and Swimming.

• Reduce risk of coronary heart disease and stroke.
• Reduce high cholesterol.
• Lower blood pressure.
• Reduce risk of colon cancer.
• Reduce body fat.
• Increase bone density and help prevent osteoporosis.
• Help with osteoarthritis.
• Reduce risk of non-insulin dependent diabetes.
• Help with overall flexibility.
• Increase mental well being.

What is good cardio? (great advice for anyone that is wanting to lose weight or do cardio for fitness).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0IbZ0eiEiQ"]YouTube - What is good cardio?[/ame]

Last edited:
How do you view your weight whether thinner, bigger, etc. . . . ?

I was 6'3" / 135 pounds in high school. Now I'm 6'3" / 220 with some extra fat that comes with bulking up. I'd like to get to 190. With that in mind, I will always see myself as a thin guy who got big.

Do you see yourself / your weight the way others do?

I think people see me as bigger than I see myself.

Do you have weight goals? Gain or lose?

I'd like to get to 190.

Do you see your weight as having a direct influence on your identity or personality, or do you see it as distinct from who you are as a person?

It doesn't have a direct influence, no. But it has a direct influence on how others respond to me which, in turn, influences me over time. Mostly in terms of confidence, I'd say.

I am happy and my doctor is happy and that is good enough for me. I don't even own a scale.

My wife wants me to lose weight, and I'm really not happy with the way I've gotten as big as I used to be, but I've been trying to block it out of my mind for a while now, since I've kind of been emotionally abused concerning my weight and dietary choices in the past few years.

I'm 6'0" and I got down to 155 pounds (70.3 kg). I had been on a starvation diet and, at the weight I was, I was trying to get down to 150 pounds, maybe even 140. This was the time I say I was being abused because, even though I felt sick and would sometimes collapse from hunger, the people who were manipulating me said that I looked healthy and that anyone who said I looked sick or too thin had faulty perceptions of health.

Now, I'm up to about 230 pounds, or 104.3 kilograms, and I need to get down to about 180, maybe even 170, since that was when I had the most energy and felt the best. My wife says it's also when I looked the best.

I really have no idea how others see me except for when they actually tell me.

NiennaLadyofTears (my wife) says that I looked the best at 170, so that's what I want to get down to.

Do you see your weight as having a direct influence on your identity or personality, or do you see it as distinct from who you are as a person?

I'd say it's rather distinct from my personality, but I have other issues with my personality and identity, so I'm not quite sure.

I'm somewhat hesitant to post this... I'm a recovering bulimic [non-purging type] and so my views on my weight are very... different. No nasty or pro-mia comments please.

I tend to view my weight as much larger than [I'm told] I am. If I don't catch myself, I find myself getting very down on myself about it. I see it as a big problem with myself and even more of an excuse to hate myself and for others to hate me. I'm focusing on changing this type of thinking, however. I'm currently about 5'6" and 152 lbs, though my weight fluctuates a fair bit for obvious reasons. I'm fairly muscular.

I definitely do not. I'm told that my weight is fine, and my BMI says I'm just on the higher end of healthy. I feel like I weigh much more than I do. I feel like it is a huge problem for me, and when I look in the mirror, I see a lot of fat. But others tell me I look fine.

No. Right now I'm working on eating healthily [no restricting/fasting or bingeing], on not using food as a coping mechanism, and on viewing myself in a more positive light.

This is a difficult question to answer. In some ways....yes, it has a huge influence on who I am. But in other ways, I feel like this isn't even my body, and that I'll somehow crawl out of this skin and be the "real" me. I would say it has a direct influence on who I think I am, but not on how others view me. If that makes any sense.

Reactions: Nixie
The ideal goal is "functional fitness." This means you are thin and fit enough to accomplish the usual, important tasks in life and then more, so you have a significant reserve for emergencies. At the least you should be able to walk long distances, as the human body has evolved to do, because walking is an essential function of daily life. You should be able to run well enough to escape from a burning building (extreme example: the twin towers of the World Trade Center). You should be able to easily ascend and descend staircases. When you're old, really old, you need to be able to get up from a toilet--this inability is one of the common reasons old and frail people are in nursing homes. Even when young, most people don't get up from a chair using only their legs. Upper body strength speaks for itself. We all need to do physical work with our arms. But, also, upper body strength helps one avoid the stooping and arthritis related to osteoporosis.

So, what you should aspire to is "relative strength," which means you are strong compared to the mass of your body. That is, you have the ability to move (read: push, dash, pull...) yourself around. Your strong muscles easily move your lean body. You should be able to do at least several pull-ups, multiple pushups, dips, crunches and, particularly, squats. Losing fat and gaining muscle makes all this possible. Given that, for most of us, finding enough food is no longer the problem it was throughout most of human evolution, fat beyond a nominal percentage of body weight, is worse than useless. You also need cardiovascular conditioning paired with strong muscles. Muscles look nice, but they're not very useful if your heart and lungs don't provide sufficient oxygen on demand. All of the above applies equally to women and men.

As you age it becomes harder to stay thin and fit without compulsive effort and discipline. I can personally attest to this. When you're young, you can get by without regular exercise and a careful diet because your body is more forgiving. This doesn't last.

I think there are many ways to achieve functional fitness. In my opinion, however, the best way today is the "crossfit" program, which includes several fitness goals, including strength, endurance, agility, balance, etc. It is equally friendly to men and women and can be scaled to any ability level.

The ideal BMI range is from 19 to 25 and I'm between 25 and 26 weighing in at 200lbs. I have been working out the past couple of weeks and have lost about 5 pounds just by spending 45 minutes on the elliptical in the morning. I feel like i should lose a bit and work on slimming down. As for muscle building, i'm not into it. In fact, i hate gyms and lifting big weights but i'm all for toning and sculpting. More of a cardio focus for me.

toooooooooooooooooooooooooo much weight.

and i run 3.5 miles every single night. no exaggeration.