Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs

I'm pretty sure I'm INFJ, even though on the cognitive function test I came out as INFP. I have a strong Ne...but I relate and work much more as an INFJ.

I was wondering for a while there.

ok based on this thread, i think i can safely conclude that I'm more INFJ than I am INFP.

I tend to test both ways. I don't know for sure which I am. Honestly, when it comes to differences pointed out, I don't know which apply to me. I can't see myself that objectively.

I tend to think I am an INFP, and it appeals to me, but a red flag for me is how INFPs are made out to be these warm, hippy types who want to improve the world & who are scatterbrained & disorganized. Quite frankly, I am simply not that nice, and I put a lot of effort into making things more efficient. I do relate to being late everywhere and procrastinating, but a lot of people actually describe me as motivated. I usually reach my goals, even if a little late :D.

The emphasis on INFJs writing well and being concerned with grammar and articulation is me spot-on. I agonize over every word in an email, and I have a good-sized vocabulaly. I realize that sometimes I annoy people in conversation because I use words they don't know, and that makes me seem like a know-it-all.

Anyway, the more I read on this, the more confused I get!

I tend to test both ways. I don't know for sure which I am. Honestly, when it comes to differences pointed out, I don't know which apply to me. I can't see myself that objectively.

I tend to think I am an INFP, and it appeals to me, but a red flag for me is how INFPs are made out to be these warm, hippy types who want to improve the world & who are scatterbrained & disorganized. Quite frankly, I am simply not that nice, and I put a lot of effort into making things more efficient. I do relate to being late everywhere and procrastinating, but a lot of people actually describe me as motivated. I usually reach my goals, even if a little late :D.

The emphasis on INFJs writing well and being concerned with grammar and articulation is me spot-on. I agonize over every word in an email, and I have a good-sized vocabulaly. I realize that sometimes I annoy people in conversation because I use words they don't know, and that makes me seem like a know-it-all.

Anyway, the more I read on this, the more confused I get!

Heh I know how you feel.

I can be very picky about my word choice. I actually have a notepad application open here on my PC where I write my posts and keep refining them until I actually submit them. Even after submitting them I sometimes re-read them. I still don't pick up on mistakes and grammar easily though. I think most of them time I'm just reading what I think I wrote rather than what I actually wrote. I imagine INFJs would pick up on that easier. I'm a pretty bad speller actually. I think all of this is part of the reason I almost failed English in highschool. Most of the assessments were on-the-spot essays that we had to write in class. 9/10 times I never finished them, not because I was lazy but because I was spending too much time nit-picking every single sentence instead of just letting my thoughts out freely. I don't think emphasis on word-choice is characteristic of INFPs but it goes to show that there are exceptions and things don't have to be a 100% fit.

An observation: INFJs are more inclined to look for a 100% fit than INFPs. :wink: Or INFJs are more likely to focus on how a type is different from them rather than how it is similar to them.

INFPs can be motivated. In fact when we find a worthy cause I believe our drive is second only to ISFP. Yeah we don't always achieve our goals because they are often so unrealistic of ourselves, or we burn out and loose interest. I think you can tell the difference between INFP and INFJ in that INFP are more excited upon the commencement of working at a goal whereas INFJs are more so towards the completion.

For what its worth I think you're INFJ simply because of the way you are trying to diagnose your type. You are taking an external point of view and are analysing your actions. Because of the INFP preference for Fi we are more inclined to take into account how they feel about making those actions. Taking an external point of view is an Ne thing though so perhaps that's why the method is not working as well for you. Or it could be other factors and you are neither INFJ or INFP. :tongue:

Actually to elaborate about motivation: INFP and INFJ have different sources of motivation corresponding to their respective primary functions. With INFPs the motivation comes from how we feel about that goal, or more specifically, how meaningful or interesting it is to us. I don't doubt this is partly the case for INFJs but I think there is another element to it that I don't understand because my Ni is borked.

Last edited:
This was helpful, but I'm still confused. Leaning more toward INFP, however.

Yay, I'm not the only one! :)

I think I'm likely an INFP. I scored INFP on nearly every one of Von's checklist. I don't want to not be INFJ though. :(

Most INFPs and INFJs are very clearly aware of their type from the get go. Occaisionally, individuals with strong sedcondary functions will have trouble initially.

When INFPs are trying to decide on their type, they tend to start confident (even if they are wrong) but begin to wonder if their type is correct, and get more and more confused by all the possibilities that keep expanding. They feel surrounded by correct answers that don't agree. They also try on the other types to see if they like the feel of them, moving from one 'what if' to the next, often going back and forth from their favorites. INFJ looks the best on them because it is the rarest and most unique, and INFPs very much want to feel unique. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in their size, so they keep looking, and trying it on, to see if they can accept the poor fit if it will allow them to wear something so cool. In this case, Ne and Fi are working their magic by playing off of each other indefinitely. Ne keeps coming up with possibilities while Fi wants to feel unique and admirable.

When INFJs are trying to decide on their type, they tend to start out with a type that just doesn't seem right for some reason, and begin to research the reason why. Feeling overwhelmed by all the details, they slowly rule out any possibilities one by one, until they're down to the last few difficult distinctions. At this point, INFJs are likely to realize that there is no type that completely defines them, and that the MBTI is far too archetypal to be accurate, rather than trying on other types because their Ni has ruled out so many possibilities. Then, INFJs tend to have an 'aha' moment while not thinking about any of this stuff where they realize what it means and how INFJ is the best description of the 16 types. Once this happens, they seldom look back. Ni and Fe reach a spontaneous concordance. Ni honed in on the answer, and Fe accepted it as part of how things are and should be.

According to statistics, if you're not sure if you are an INFP or an INFJ, you're more than twice as likely to be an INFP. 2% of the population are INFPs. Less than 1% are INFJs. Granted, this means there are roughly 250 million INFPs in the world and 100 million INFJs, but statistics lean toward INFP. In my opininon, a lot of the people here who can't decide behave more like INFPs than INFJs, with very effective Ne functions supported by very capable Fi functions. In my opinion INFPs are cooler than INFJs because they're more charming and imaginative, but I'm not one, and I have no confusion about it.

Here are two other links that might help you decide.
http://www.bestfittype.com/infp.html
http://www.bestfittype.com/infj.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Milon
Von, you just put the last nail in my INFJ coffin. I feel sad that I'm not INFJ, but INFP fits much better. :(

But now I have something new to learn about, so that's my positive take away, I guess.

EDIT: Von, that's not an accusation or anything. Thanks for helping me figure this out. I was feeling quite confused!

Last edited:
Reactions: VH
Von, you just put the last nail in my INFJ coffin. I feel sad that I'm not INFJ, but INFP fits much better. :(

But now I have something new to learn about, so that's my positive take away, I guess.

EDIT: Von, that's not an accusation or anything. Thanks for helping me figure this out. I was feeling quite confused!

You're more than welcome! Glad I could help! I love my INFP friends. They're some of the best people on Earth!

I question myself now and again if I am an INFP, but it usually goes away after a bit (my Fi is higher then my Fe is part of it I think).

What usually brings me back, and proves that I am INFJ is my extreme opinionatedness. Particualry in person, I will announce my opinion of something readily, particualrry if I don't like something. My friend alwasy say to me "pieter, you hate everything" and I remark "I do not! I am just opinionated!" (all in good fun).

another thing is I become extremely narrow minded when I decide on something. When deciding on where to go to college, I was unsure at first, I had all the options laid out infront of me. All the sudden something clicked, and I knew MSU was the right choice. I went for it, and I mean WENT for it. NOTHING was going to stop me from getting there, come hell or high water. I tossed every other option to the wayside. This is how it was going to be, no if's and's or but's.

Honestly though I read those links you said Von Hase, by those desscriptons nearly any INFJ or INFP will confuse themseves between them, they are SO (too) similar to one another.

This was helpful, but I'm still confused. Leaning more toward INFP, however.

Yeah I dont like those descriptons at all. They are much to similar, and I think alot of the traits are mismatched. Alot of them go agients what I have learned about INFJ's and INFP's.

Thanks, Von! I wonder now and again if I'm INFP, but it usually doesn't last that long. That last description made me confident that I'm INFJ; once I knew, I kept with it, even if I doubt now and then...I just kind of know of my INFJ-ness.

Although it has been indicated that I might have begun to develop Ne, maybe even Fi...I think I might act like an INFP sometimes, although I don't think I am one.

I question myself now and again if I am an INFP, but it usually goes away after a bit (my Fi is higher then my Fe is part of it I think).

What usually brings me back, and proves that I am INFJ is my extreme opinionatedness. Particualry in person, I will announce my opinion of something readily, particualrry if I don't like something. My friend alwasy say to me "pieter, you hate everything" and I remark "I do not! I am just opinionated!" (all in good fun).

another thing is I become extremely narrow minded when I decide on something. When deciding on where to go to college, I was unsure at first, I had all the options laid out infront of me. All the sudden something clicked, and I knew MSU was the right choice. I went for it, and I mean WENT for it. NOTHING was going to stop me from getting there, come hell or high water. I tossed every other option to the wayside. This is how it was going to be, no if's and's or but's.

Honestly though I read those links you said Von Hase, by those desscriptons nearly any INFJ or INFP will confuse themseves between them, they are SO (too) similar to one another.

You sound a lot like my best friend who is an INFP, actually. INFJs rarely blast out their opinions unless asked, or highly relevant to the subject. INFPs will dump them on people's heads, sometimes with little segue. Both INFJs and INFPs have the ability to stick to something once it is a permanent decision, due to their strong F functions. It may be possible that your confusion on the types stems from not wanting to let go of being an INFJ, or perhaps a very strong Ne that keeps considering the possibilities rather than Ni which rules out the impossibilities?

You sound a lot like my best friend who is an INFP, actually. INFJs rarely blast out their opinions unless asked, or highly relevant to the subject. INFPs will dump them on people's heads, sometimes with little segue. Both INFJs and INFPs have the ability to stick to something once it is a permanent decision, due to their strong F functions. It may be possible that your confusion on the types stems from not wanting to let go of being an INFJ, or perhaps a very strong Ne that keeps considering the possibilities rather than Ni which rules out the impossibilities?

I don't think so. I blast out my feelings all the time. Fe ftw!

Thanks, Von! I wonder now and again if I'm INFP, but it usually doesn't last that long. That last description made me confident that I'm INFJ; once I knew, I kept with it, even if I doubt now and then...I just kind of know of my INFJ-ness.

Although it has been indicated that I might have begun to develop Ne, maybe even Fi...I think I might act like an INFP sometimes, although I don't think I am one.

This also sounds very INFP actually. I saw your pic in the user forums, and I have to say that on top of being utterly adorable, you have a demeanor more like the INFPs I know than the INFJs. The INFJs have this serene distance in their demeanor stemming from their perception being internalized and their feelings not being focused on themselves. You seem to have an apparent emotional presence (inner warmth in that picture) and an apparent external focus. Those are likely Fi and Ne functions, respectively. It makes you very charming and attractive.

Edit: and looking at your ENFJ friend, I'm seeing my own eyes and demeanor. Dang. I may actually be an eNFJ. I don't have that serene INFJ look either. Doh. Stupid paradigm shifts resulting from being the victim of my own advice... *repeatedly bangs head on Fe*

Last edited:
I don't think so. I blast out my feelings all the time. Fe ftw!

Fe is very much a 'this is how things should be' reasoning function. Fi is a very 'This is how I feel' reasoning function. They're highly distinct. The question is whether you're prone to blasting your feelings about external subjects with little regard to your own feelings (Fe), or your own emotions with little regard to any impact on the outer world (Fi).

Last edited:
Von, you've done it again - and all in a good way. Thanks for more explanations and more concrete examples! I also think that a lot of folks confuse personal traits with personality traits. We're all flawed human beings, and just because we do or don't do something doesn't mean we're more one type or another.

In short:
Just because I'm messy doesn't mean I'm a Perceiver
Just because I'm organized and exact doesn't mean I'm a Judger.

It really just all comes down to how we use our processes, and in what order. It doesn't make us any less who we are if our types change...it just makes us more of who we are.:m045:

It's about time I school you guys on the differences between INFPs and INFJs. I've been putting it off because it takes such a long time for me to write--and I've done this SO many times on the INFP forum I could just throw up. Seriously.

But here it goes anyways. A clear distinction.

First

Why INFJs might think they're INFPs:
--They usually keep their desks/rooms very messy to the untrained eye
--They are typically more laid-back than most stereotype "J" types
--They are impulsive at times and not as "meticulous" as fellow J types
--They like to express themselves in artistic ways (through clothing style, hair style, tattoos, etc.) sometimes bordering the "outlandish"
--They are constantly trying to "find themselves" (through religion, philosophies, MBTI etc.) which seems wishy-washy
--They spend a lot of time daydreaming and living in their imagined worlds

From my experience, INFJs never switch to INFPs. It's always the other way around. So many INFJs think they are INFPs (I thought I was a INFP for the longest time) whereas most INFP know they are INFPs from the start. So if you've picked INFJ for yourself, you are more than likely a INFJ. INFPs are the most self-aware type--they don't do as much "trial-by-error" as INFJs. INFPs usually know that they're INFPs.

Differences between INFPs and INFJs:

--Although an INFJ and INFP might daydream the same, INFJs strongly anchor themselves to reality--being careful as to not "float away" with their imaginations. INFJs realize things need to get done first and foremost. INFPs don't feel that pressing need to anchor themselves.

--While an INFJ and INFP might procrastinate, the INFJ actually gets it done. Again, it's that strong need for the INFJ to get back to reality, that keeps the INFJ from "floating away" too far into his head. Some INFJs see it as a challenge to "meet the deadline" at the very last possible minute. This isn't so for INFPs. An INFP will procrastinate to the point where they are unable to finish tasks on time. (This is not to say that INFPs can't EVER meet deadlines---they can, but they have to push themselves harder than most to keep their focus on the project)

--The INFJ's messy desk isn't messy at all to the INFJ. They have a "system" and can find things easily. The INFJ only considers her desk a mess when she can no longer find where she put things. INFPs don't have a system. It's just a mess. Ask a INFP to find something in his dirty pile and it would probably take him 15min, lol. (My INFP boyfriend needs my help to find his belt and keys every morning)

--INFJs aren't as self-aware with themselves, which is why they constantly feel the need to "search" for something to better explain/analyze themselves and their world. INFJs are on a quest to self-discovery. INFPs are highly self-aware and still search but for different reasons. INFPs don't try to analyze, INFPs are simply on a quest for knowledge. They don't filter anything out--they don't feel the need to. Their Ne just soaks everything up like little sponges. INFJs' Ni is more picky and selective--they want to learn something for a purpose! Everything for the INFJ is about purpose! INFJs have "aha!" moments, or revelations.

--INFJs and INFPs might have difficulty making decisions, but for INFJs, once they make a decision that's it. INFJs make decisions quickly--sometimes rashly, but still they make a decision. INFPs can't make up their minds to save their lives! INFPs over-analyze their problems to the point where they are incapable of making a decision at all. "Ne overload" as my boyfriend puts it. An INFP will sit on a problem for months, usually procrastinating about making a decision until it's too late, or the problem has already gone away.

--INFPs seem somewhat "cold" sometimes due to their Fi. INFPs are EXTREMELY sensitive, yet it is under the surface and unseen. INFJs' Fe allows them to be "gushy" and "emotive." INFJs have no problem expressing themselves, sometimes to the annoyance of the INFP when they feel the INFj is being too "critical." INFPs aren't "gushy." INFPs are intense in a quiet way. (It's kinda hot actually, the hidden passion bubbling just under the surface of the INFP!!! Huzzah!) I call this the teddy bear black hole phenomenon. Those of you who have visited INFPgc know what I'm talking about. :D

--INFJs have goals and constantly move themselves toward those expectations. INFPs have destinations and constantly move themselves toward them for the experience. INFPs just drift to and fro at will, moving wherever the wind will blow them. INFJs scramble like crazy to find a purpose--a goal--something! INFJs don't just "drift" through life. INFPs can easily stop and smell the roses. For this reason, INFJs are better at planning and taking charge.

--INFJs analyze and analyze! INFJs are constantly looking at the "why" and the "how." INFPs like to look at the "what if."

Reactions: Milon and VH
Argh! Now I'm really confused. TK* just resurrected INFJ as a possibility for me. All I can say for sure is that I'm INF?. My head hurts.

Argh! Now I'm really confused. TK* just resurrected INFJ as a possibility for me. All I can say for sure is that I'm INF?. My head hurts.

It's not an exact science. Nothing can peg you completely. Don't beat yourself up about it, Milon. :D