Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs

I think I can help. I thought I was an ENFP for a while. It took a lot of looking into the way the MBTI works and what it actually means to realize I am in fact an INFJ.

Here is why a lot of people get confused...

The first letter indicates which of your two functions is your dominant function. The middle letters are the actual P and J respectively. The last letter indicates which of those two is your extraverted function. If your test results are close on both the J and P scale and/or the I and E scale, it can often come up backward because of the way it is designed. Confused yet? The end result is this...

(I linked to far more information that you need, but it is the most helpful I've found so far when trying to determine the difference between types.)

INFJ is Ni/Fe. (Introverted iNtuition dominant, Extraverted Feeling secondary) The P function is actually dominant.

INFP is Fi/Ne. (Introverted Feeling dominant, Extraverted Intuition secondary) The J function is actually dominant.

In my own experience...

INFPs have very strong feelings that motivate them to all of their actions and are prone to feeling very strongly whatever it is that they are feeling, whether happy, sad, bored, or blah. They also have an intuition that explodes one truth into all of its possibilities (note this does not lead to the impossibilities), but what insights they come to are secondary to their feelings and if they disagree, the INFP will favor their emotions.

INFJs have an intuition that implodes all possibilities into a single truth and they follow this almost implicitly, even if their own emotions are forced to be secondary. They also have strong convictions that make them very senstive but seem sturdy emotionally outwardly.

I hope this helps.

That helps thanks a lot Von that helps. I still feel a little conflicted but I think looking at the fact that I've tested INFJ a majority of the time and knowing who I am I'm pretty sure I'm INFJ.

Uhhhh damn thats hard to pin down.

Also the idea that an INFJ fallows their truths kinda resonates with me.

thanks again

That helps thanks a lot Von that helps. I still feel a little conflicted but I think looking at the fact that I've tested INFJ a majority of the time and knowing who I am I'm pretty sure I'm INFJ.

Uhhhh damn thats hard to pin down.

Also the idea that an INFJ fallows their truths kinda resonates with me.

thanks again

You're welcome.

INFP and INFJ seem a lot alike. INFPs follow their insights because they FEEL them. INFJs feel their INTUITIONS. The best litmus test I can come up with is this.

http://www.murraystate.edu/secsv/fye/INFJ.htm

http://www.murraystate.edu/secsv/fye/INFP.htm

Last edited:
In my opinion, INFJs tend to have some key differences from INFPs

(1) INFJ's tend to be perfectionistic. They will sometimes put a disproportionate amount of effort into a given task that they care about, then the task usually warrents.
(2) INFJ's tend to become quite assertive and usually step up to leadership positions when people are in dire need of it -- or if there is lack of cohesive leadership in any structured environment. INFPs more often go with the flow and will adapt themselves to the environment rather than taking control of it.
(3) Rather than visualizing multiple possibilities on how a given situation will turn out, INFJs are more likely to use their intuition to point them in a single direction and stay the path (characteristic of J types). INFPs on the other hand will view multiple paths and try to traverse them all equally, gradually eliminating things which do not fit.

Reactions: VH
Listen, chances are if you're doubting your INFJness then you're probably a INFJ. Being overly analytical is part of the INFJ description.

I had the same problem until I went to the INFP forum. After looking around for a couple of months (and meeting several INFPs in person later) I decided I was a INFJ (although I always ALWAYS tested out as INFJ I still thought I was a INFP for some reason)

It is an overall NF trait to strive for self-identity, self-knowledge, and self-definition. Being analytical about it is also a typical Introverted trait.

The quest for self identity is extremely common among both INFPs and INFJs.

INFJs are more likely to know when they haven't found it and keep going until they do. The INFJ process of self discovery is much like sorting through files as they examine the details briefly and move on. "No... No... Nope. No... Not that one... Ah! That one!" INFJs are likely to try on as many hats as they need to until they find the right one, but seldom try on the same one twice. A fair amount of INFJs get it right the first time, and just like their fellows, they stop looking at the point they do.

INFPs are more likely to keep 'tinkering' indefinitely because they don't 'know' what is right or wrong and constantly reevaluate. Briggs Myers herself was an INFP, and her lifelong quest for self discovery was the driving force behind her work developing the MBTI. INFPs are much more prone to delving into the details of several possibilities by revisting each of them repeatedly, each time gleaning more information until they eventually make a choice. Even if an INFP got it right the first time, they seldom accept the answer.

There is no small reason that so many INFPs and INFJs are here trying to figure out what they are.

Last edited:

(1) INFJ's tend to be perfectionistic. They will sometimes put a disproportionate amount of effort into a given task that they care about, then the task usually warrents.
(2) INFJ's tend to become quite assertive and usually step up to leadership positions when people are in dire need of it -- or if there is lack of cohesive leadership in any structured environment. INFPs more often go with the flow and will adapt themselves to the environment rather than taking control of it.
(3) Rather than visualizing multiple possibilities on how a given situation will turn out, INFJs are more likely to use their intuition to point them in a single direction and stay the path (characteristic of J types). INFPs on the other hand will view multiple paths and try to traverse them all equally, gradually eliminating things which do not fit.

Very good post. There is much more truth to it than my refining will imply. I'm just adding a little more focus.

1) Agreed, but so do INFPs. INFJs will apply tenacious perfectionism to make what they are doing right. INFPs will do this to try out the possibilities. INFJs keep going until find the correct answer, and know it when they find it. INFPs let all the possibilities fight it out until the correct answer wins, but could have had the correct answer all along.

2) Agreed, but what you've described in both cases is actually the core NF trait combined with introversion.

INFPs will step up so fast and hard, people's heads will spin. However, when they do so, there is a lot more emotion involved. Their dominant function is their J function (Fi). Their P is the one the world sees (Ne) because it is their extraverted function. They step up like a whirlwind. INFJs go with the flow more smoothly than INFPs, so long as there is clear leadership. Their P function is their dominant(Ni). Their J is the one the world sees because it is their extraverted function (Fe). This is yet another reason for the confusion when introverted people are typing themselves.

Also, when INFPs and INFJs disagree, the resulting clash can be quite titanic. The phrase "Still waters run deep" probably exists because of the INFP and INFJ personalities being so startling when they 'flip'. INFJs are more likely than INFPs to keep a role when the need that caused them to take it is resolved, but I've seen INFPs do it. INFPs tend to dig deeper in their quests, uncovering all sorts of unexpected things that needed attention before they are done, but INFJs are very likely to spot all of the causes of a problem early and address them before they are done.

There are certain areas where INFPs and INFJs are profoundly alike, and this is one of them. The only subtle difference in these things is in approach. INFPs and INFJs are less like Yin and Yang and more like mirrors of one another. INFPs are the more passionate of the two, and INFJs are the more intuitive of the two, but the difference is very difficult to spot, especially if you're using yourself as the basis for comparison.

3) This is dead on.

Last edited:
Ugh. I was trying to make a short and sweet post. I get so tired about talking about the differences between INFPs and INFJs...you wouldn't believe it! When I get the time I'll write a long-ass checklist about the differences. Right now I'm not up for it. The differences between INFPs and INFJs are really obvious. I love my INFP boyfriend, but unlike the popular belief about INFJs and INFPs being so similar, we couldn't be more different from each other. I'm basing this off of the dozen of INFPs I know in real life. *rolls eyes* Love INFPs, but they can be pretty damn infuriating to get along with! (as a INFJ)

(Mayflow are you talking about INFPgc? You got BANNED? HAHAHA! Kara never bans anyone! What did you DO if indeed it was INFPgc?!)

I have come to notice that sorting between INFJ and INFP can be kind of hard for some people. I am usually pretty good at it though in person. I have met alot of INFP's through my life. They are really nice people. The problem is (and one reason why I don't form close relationships with them) they have a tendancy to bury their head in the sand with anything negitive.

Ugh. I was trying to make a short and sweet post. I get so tired about talking about the differences between INFPs and INFJs...you wouldn't believe it! When I get the time I'll write a long-ass checklist about the differences. Right now I'm not up for it. The differences between INFPs and INFJs are really obvious. I love my INFP boyfriend, but unlike the popular belief about INFJs and INFPs being so similar, we couldn't be more different from each other. I'm basing this off of the dozen of INFPs I know in real life. *rolls eyes* Love INFPs, but they can be pretty damn infuriating to get along with! (as a INFJ)

Yes, we are complete opposites to one another. Outsiders see a lot of similarity between us. And when you're trying to figure yourself out, you're technically an outsider, so I was trying to describe it from that perspective. Non-NFs see twins. We see someone that is perfectly backward from ourselves, right down to the writing on their T-shirt being backward.

Once you've known one of each of us, INFP and INFJ, the difference is very obvious. My best friend is an INFP. We're like cats and dogs sometimes. I love that girl deeply, but every now and then we could not be less alike. Hence the clash of the titans I mentioned.

I completely agree with IndigoSensor on the 'in person' thing. If I meet someone that is INFP or INFJ it takes me less than a moment to tell the difference, which is very obvious, at least to us. They seem to be able to do the same.

Here's a checklist I whipped up showing how we are opposites, yet twins.

INFPs focus on values.
INFJs value their focus.

INFPs invoke their feelings.
INFJs feel their invocations.

INFPs use their intuition to validate their feelings.
INFJs use their feelings to validate their intuitions.

INFPs react with strong emotions.
INFJs have strong reactions to emotions.

INFPs know what it could be.
INFJs know what it couldn’t be.

INFPs use emotional currency.
INFJs use their emotions currently.

INFPs don’t know when to quit, and tend to jump out.
INFJs don’t know where to start, and tend to jump in.

INFPs strive to nurture those around them.
INFJs nurture those around them to strive.

INFPs know where it begins.
INFJs know where it ends.

INFPs are highly aware of their feelings.
INFJs feel they are highly aware.

INFPs figure it out by thinking about it too much.
INFJs figure it out by not thinking about it at all.

INFPs have trouble expressing their feelings, but not showing their emotions.
INFJs have trouble showing their emotions, but not expressing their feelings.

INFPs tell about something someone they know did.
INFJs tell someone about something they know they did.

INFPs come to feel your emotions with you.
INFJs feel the emotions coming from you.

INFPs open up to harmony.
INFJs need harmony to open up.

Last edited:
Bang on -- and definitely the most obvious difference.

Thanks Von! Now I'm 90% sure that I'm INFJ :)
These are probably the best differences between the 2 types.

Excellent, Von! Spot on!

The biggest indicator from that list you made:

and

and

All of these things pointing out the Fi/Fe Ni/Ne difference. Fi probably being the most characteristic trait of INFPs. Ni being the most characteristic trait of INFJs.

So I'm trying to figure this out. I'm pretty sure I'm INFJ. The type fits me best. Best INFP kinda fits me too. I know J is not very high for me. So I think that may be why I feel unsure. I don't for instance need things to be clean but I do need to control things and do things when and how I feel they need down. So I'm guessing thats J at work. I also had issues with being told much of what I was not the best way to be. My mom was also a clean freak.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. And if there a is a way to tell the types apart. I don't feel INFP. I feel like even though I'm some what laid back I'm still too tightly wound.

So any insite is much appricaited.

Do you think you use Ni or Ne more?

Thanks Von! Now I'm 90% sure that I'm INFJ :)
These are probably the best differences between the 2 types.

Thanks! Glad I could help clear this up for you.

Bang on -- and definitely the most obvious difference.

Thanks Zero Angel!

Excellent, Von! Spot on!

The biggest indicator from that list you made:

and

and

All of these things pointing out the Fi/Fe Ni/Ne difference. Fi probably being the most characteristic trait of INFPs. Ni being the most characteristic trait of INFJs.

Thanks, TK*! I used Ni/Fe vs. Fi/Ne as my guide to come up with those.

Does anyone think that INFP's are louder or no?

INFPs are much louder when they are experiencing the kinds of emotions that cause someone to laugh, yell, cry, or the like than INFJs are when they are having those emotions. INFPs are also more frequently emotional than INFJs. However, INFPs may not experience many 'loud' emotions, and instead carry a palette of 'quiet' emotions, like melancholy, sadness, or lonliness, at which point they are much quieter than INFJs. Essentially, INFPs are more expressive of their emotions than INFJs whether those emotions make someone louder or quieter.

My INFP friend is louder than me most of the time in casual conversation (I'm usually a little below average for volume but not much) because she usually wants to make sure her feelings are heard, until she gets 'emotional', at which point she is twice as loud as me. She has a tendency to use inappropriate volumes with the inappropriateness in direct proportion to how strong her feelings are. When she is feeling a 'quiet' emotion, she's quieter than I am by a long shot, usually not saying anything at all.

This is her Fi not being connected to social expectations like my Fe which makes me overcompensate a little and draw a fair amount of "Huh? Could you repeat that?". When I am on stage I project quite well because I am expected to. However, there have been rare instances where I have 'snapped' and actually yelled at people. I shake windows with my bellow when I finally let it loose most likely because there is nothing in my being that wants me to do that and if I am pushed to the point where I have to, I no longer have any inhibitions against it whatsoever. Neither my friend nor any other INFP I know can come close to those volumes, but my INFJs have been known to in rare and isolated instances.

Across the board though, I would have to agree that INFPs will average notably a louder presence than an INFJ.

Last edited:
I have been wondering lately if an INFJ is want I want to be and a INFP is truly what I am at the core.

*merged and stickied*

Methinks this one may come up a bit.

wow... doesn't that fit me spot on.

perfectionist? yes.

assertive, but only when no one else is? yes. yes.

stay the path stubbornly, but only cause my intuition has told me it IS the path i need to take? definitely.