Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs

May, my friend, I have noticed.

Well, I do have multiple sides, you know! :smile:
but I am yours Siempre - In none of these sides am I angry
or unhappy, just Maya playing.
It's such a pretty world afterall,
and your Beauty is not unnoticed either.

Reactions: acd
Ok, ok, I was wrong. I'm sorry :)

Interesting thread, thanks!

It's about time I school you guys on the differences between INFPs and INFJs. I've been putting it off because it takes such a long time for me to write--and I've done this SO many times on the INFP forum I could just throw up. Seriously.

But here it goes anyways. A clear distinction.

This again makes me think I could be an INFJ, with the way the INFP is described as such a wishy-washy, hippy, unproductive type. I am not that at all, and it severely annoys me to have my type described as such. Maybe it is merely another type's misunderstanding of INFPs, which I think is highly likely.

I am definitely messy in an organized way, procrastinate to the deadline, but always meet it, make definite decisions very easily, analyze things a lot, and have goals/purpose.

The only thing about INFPs I really identify with in that post is the part about having hidden, intense emotion and being very sensitive. Probably why I perceive that entire post to be very negative towards INFPs....I often feel criticism where there may not be any.

Ultimately, I feel I am an INFP. Reading posts at that board feels like reading my own feelings (sometimes...I realize we are all unique individuals). I very much like INFJs, and the way they express themselves, but I couldn't imagine their words coming out of my mouth.

Last edited:
This again makes me think I could be an INFJ, with the way the INFP is described as such a wishy-washy, hippy, unproductive type. I am not that at all, and it severely annoys me to have my type described as such. Maybe it is merely another type's misunderstanding of INFPs, which I think is highly likely.

I am definitely messy in an organized way, procrastinate to the deadline, but always meet it, make definite decisions very easily, analyze things a lot, and have goals/purpose.

The only thing about INFPs I really identify with in that post is the part about having hidden, intense emotion and being very sensitive. Probably why I perceive that entire post to be very negative towards INFPs....I often feel criticism where there may not be any.

Ultimately, I feel I am an INFP. Reading posts at that board feels like reading my own feelings (sometimes...I realize we are all unique individuals). I very much like INFJs, and they way the express themselves, but I couldn't imagine their words coming out of my mouth.

It kinda annoys me as well, but it's just an opinion.. and nothing to take personally. I am what could be called a "hippie" but not unproductive. I couldn't be unproductive working two jobs, attending school full-time and supporting myself financially. INFPs may be very open and not interested in "book ending" things because they like to keep their options open instead of saying: "This is the way I have decided it is, this is the way it should be."

The P just means we are more open to new information and have an easier time adapting, not that we are wishy-washy.

PS!! You're an INFP newbie!! Yay!!

Last edited:
Who said INFPs were incapable of getting anything done? That's not at all what I said! Take offense if you'd like, but there was none intended. INFPs are highly capable individuals--many are whom I would consider to be "geniuses." Or "gifted."

Who said INFPs were incapable of getting anything done? That's not at all what I said! Take offense if you'd like, but there was none intended. INFPs are highly capable individuals--many are whom I would consider to be "geniuses." Or "gifted."

These comments in particular say, "wishy-washy, hippy, unproductive".
It's a common thing I read/hear about INFPs, except from self-described INFPs. I think it's a misconception based on observances that don't see the whole picture of the person. Anyway, this is probably another thing that reinforces I am INFP though....we always feel misunderstood and it pains us to be so :p

While an INFJ and INFP might procrastinate, the INFJ actually gets it done.

An INFP will procrastinate to the point where they are unable to finish tasks on time. (This is not to say that INFPs can't EVER meet deadlines---they can, but they have to push themselves harder than most to keep their focus on the project)

INFPs can't make up their minds to save their lives!

INFPs just drift to and fro at will, moving wherever the wind will blow them.

I'm certainly not offended. I'm not interested in anything like that.
Nobody said anything about anyone being "incapable." You didn't say that and as I went back and read my last post I didn't say the word "incapable." I don't recall Orange saying that word, either.

Differences between INFPs and INFJs:

--Although an INFJ and INFP might daydream the same, INFJs strongly anchor themselves to reality--being careful as to not "float away" with their imaginations. INFJs realize things need to get done first and foremost. INFPs don't feel that pressing need to anchor themselves.

--While an INFJ and INFP might procrastinate, the INFJ actually gets it done. Again, it's that strong need for the INFJ to get back to reality, that keeps the INFJ from "floating away" too far into his head. Some INFJs see it as a challenge to "meet the deadline" at the very last possible minute. This isn't so for INFPs. An INFP will procrastinate to the point where they are unable to finish tasks on time. (This is not to say that INFPs can't EVER meet deadlines---they can, but they have to push themselves harder than most to keep their focus on the project)

But that is what I was referring to originally. And anyway, no harm done. Just saying, I disagree.

Last edited:
I'm always happy to agree to disagree. When I'm not so tired (mainly of all the NEGATIVITY on this board) I might come back to this to further explain what I mean.

I'm kinda "debated-out" if you know what I mean.

Take my observations with a grain of salt. After all, in the grand scheme of things, my opinions on this subject don't really matter. :D

I'm always happy to agree to disagree. When I'm not so tired (mainly of all the NEGATIVITY on this board) I might come back to this to further explain what I mean.

I'm kinda "debated-out" if you know what I mean.

Take my observations with a grain of salt. After all, in the grand scheme of things, my opinions on this subject don't really matter. :D

Well, of course your opinion matters! It's your opinion, it belongs to you! But I don't think anyone's opinion matters to the point of me becoming offended. (Hope that was well received as I meant it with tact.) No negativity. nooooo!

The P just means we are more open to new information and have an easier time adapting, not that we are wishy-washy.
If you're referring to the way the infp forms values and opinions by scooping up plankton like a slow-moving blue whale to form a mass that it can squeeze out with moan and sell as pu-pu platter to a collection of allegiants, then I agree. Yes to the second portion of your sentence.

If you're referring to the way the infp forms values and opinions by scooping up plankton like a slow-moving blue whale to form a mass that it can squeeze out with moan and sell as pu-pu platter to a collection of allegiants, then I agree. Yes to the second portion of your sentence.
You sir, are a poet.
And, yes. That is what I was referring to.

Last edited:
Is this more appropriate way of describing the differences?

Rewording said:

--Although an INFJ and INFP might daydream the same, INFJs strongly anchor themselves to reality--being careful as to not "float away" with their imaginations. INFJs realize things need to get done first and foremost. INFPs don't feel that pressing need to anchor themselves so long as they have time to spend in their imaginations.

--While an INFJ and INFP might procrastinate, the INFJ is inclined to avoid waiting quite as long and start a little earlier. Again, it's that strong need for the INFJ to get back to reality, that keeps the INFJ from "floating away" too far into his head. Some INFJs see it as a challenge to "meet the deadline" at the very last possible minute. An INFP may sometimes procrastinate to the point where they are unable to finish tasks on time by assuming that the deadline was flexible. (This is not to say that INFPs frequently fail to meet deadlines---just that they have to push themselves harder than most to keep their focus on the project)

INFP is described as such a wishy-washy, hippy, unproductive type. I am not that at all, and it severely annoys me to have my type described as such. Maybe it is merely another type's misunderstanding of INFPs, which I think is highly likely.

These are all traits that my best friend INFP has. It took me a very long time to realize how much detail there was to the intense emotions I could sense in her, because she seldom told me what she was thinking. I came to realize just how focused she was, and was very surprised to find out that she was just as much of a contradictions as I was, but in inverted ways.

She didn't seem focused because she always knew how much time she had left, and how much time it would take to do what needed to be done. She chose to use the rest of her time enjoying life however she preferred. However, on rare occaisions usually due to unforseen outside circumstances, she miscalculated how long it would take her to finish something and she would suddenly burst into action, usually able to meet a deadline anyway through sheer intensity. And then as soon as it is done, she has a very non-chelant "what? we made it" reaction afterward while everyone else tries to destress. It's kinda funny. She seems surprised that no one thought she could pull it off. Sometimes she's offended. Other times flattered.

Welcome to these forums!

Also, if those are your eyes in your avatar, you are definitely an INFP. They are very engaging and connective, full of deep emotion and current focus.

I am what could be called a "hippie" but not unproductive. I couldn't be unproductive working two jobs, attending school full-time and supporting myself financially. INFPs may be very open and not interested in "book ending" things because they like to keep their options open instead of saying: "This is the way I have decided it is, this is the way it should be."

This is a great description of INFP / INFJ differences. I think a better word than wishy-washy might be 'adaptable'.

INFPs are highly capable individuals--many are whom I would consider to be "geniuses." Or "gifted."

Agreed. All of my INFPs are the same.

Last edited:
:) Great convos!

I think, too (my opinion here), that INFPs are a bit more sensitive, emotionally speaking - I don't mean that in a bad way, though! They just feel more intensely than any other style and we can hurt them without knowing we've done it.

They're incredibly lovely folks - and I do tend to think of Audrey Hepburn when I envision them.

I do not have anything really constructive to add to this thread, but I will say that this thread, which I read and re-read several times, is what solidified me on my vacillation between INFP and INFJ. I am truly INFJ, with a few minor INFP traits thrown in for good measure, as we all are not truly 100% our MBTI descriptors.

Though all the thread is excellent and deeply informative, I would express my gratitude especially to Von Hase and TK*, for the posts from both of you were the most challenging and decisive.

Is this more appropriate way of describing the differences?

These are all traits that my best friend INFP has. It took me a very long time to realize how much detail there was to the intense emotions I could sense in her, because she seldom told me what she was thinking. I came to realize just how focused she was, and was very surprised to find out that she was just as much of a contradictions as I was, but in inverted ways.

She didn't seem focused because she always knew how much time she had left, and how much time it would take to do what needed to be done. She chose to use the rest of her time enjoying life however she preferred. However, on rare occaisions usually due to unforseen outside circumstances, she miscalculated how long it would take her to finish something and she would suddenly burst into action, usually able to meet a deadline anyway through sheer intensity. And then as soon as it is done, she has a very non-chelant "what? we made it" reaction afterward while everyone else tries to destress. It's kinda funny. She seems surprised that no one thought she could pull it off. Sometimes she's offended. Other times flattered.

Welcome to these forums!

Also, if those are your eyes in your avatar, you are definitely an INFP. They are very engaging and connective, full of deep emotion and current focus.

No, the eyes in the avatar are Amelie's (or Audrey Tatou's). My face is on my profile though.

Yeah, I think that is a better description. Your friend's work style reminds me of mine, haha. I may seem to be goofing off to people, but I just know when I really need to start to get it done in time, and I don't feel the need to start any earlier than necessary.

I think what people forget about INFPs is how much our values drive us. If an INFP values something enough, it becomes a "cause", and we can stay focused and organized in order to accomplish any goals related to that to cause.

It's also important to note that what kind of environment you are raised in will influence your values. My mom is incredibly organized and punctual and she instilled this in me, so even though I admit to being naturally messy and late going places, that value I was taught can counteract my tendencies sometimes.

INFJs use their feelings to validate their intuitions.
INFJs know what it couldn’t be.
INFJs don’t know where to start, and tend to jump in.
INFJs nurture those around them to strive.
INFJs know where it ends.
INFJs feel they are highly aware.
INFJs figure it out by not thinking about it at all.
INFJs have trouble showing their emotions, but not expressing their feelings.
INFJs tell someone about something they know they did.
INFJs feel the emotions coming from you.
INFJs need harmony to open up.

Dead on. Thank you very much for that, really opened my eyes.

Also I think it's very important to note that depending on how you've developed your functions, or how often you use them, can have bearing on your type. I know that I'm an INFJ, but there are many INFP things that I tend to do as well. I often score around 60/40% J/P on tests. The question is which are you more like, rather than something more clearly defined.

Everyone can have the tendency to act like any other type, though some are more rare than others I'm sure. It all depends how you use your functions and to what extent, and how developed those functions are.

Last edited:
Well, gosh-darn! I'm a classic(ish) INFJ! Woo! :D

When INFJs are trying to decide on their type, they tend to start out with a type that just doesn't seem right for some reason, and begin to research the reason why. Feeling overwhelmed by all the details, they slowly rule out any possibilities one by one, until they're down to the last few difficult distinctions. At this point, INFJs are likely to realize that there is no type that completely defines them, and that the MBTI is far too archetypal to be accurate, rather than trying on other types because their Ni has ruled out so many possibilities. Then, INFJs tend to have an 'aha' moment while not thinking about any of this stuff where they realize what it means and how INFJ is the best description of the 16 types. Once this happens, they seldom look back. Ni and Fe reach a spontaneous concordance. Ni honed in on the answer, and Fe accepted it as part of how things are and should be.

I just did exactly that! :lol:

It's about time I school you guys on the differences between INFPs and INFJs. I've been putting it off because it takes such a long time for me to write--and I've done this SO many times on the INFP forum I could just throw up. Seriously.

But here it goes anyways. A clear distinction.

First

Why INFJs might think they're INFPs:
--They usually keep their desks/rooms very messy to the untrained eye
--They are typically more laid-back than most stereotype "J" types
--They are impulsive at times and not as "meticulous" as fellow J types
--They like to express themselves in artistic ways (through clothing style, hair style, tattoos, etc.) sometimes bordering the "outlandish"
--They are constantly trying to "find themselves" (through religion, philosophies, MBTI etc.) which seems wishy-washy
--They spend a lot of time daydreaming and living in their imagined worlds

From my experience, INFJs never switch to INFPs. It's always the other way around. So many INFJs think they are INFPs (I thought I was a INFP for the longest time) whereas most INFP know they are INFPs from the start. So if you've picked INFJ for yourself, you are more than likely a INFJ. INFPs are the most self-aware type--they don't do as much "trial-by-error" as INFJs. INFPs usually know that they're INFPs.

--Although an INFJ and INFP might daydream the same, INFJs strongly anchor themselves to reality--being careful as to not "float away" with their imaginations. INFJs realize things need to get done first and foremost. INFPs don't feel that pressing need to anchor themselves.

--While an INFJ and INFP might procrastinate, the INFJ actually gets it done. Again, it's that strong need for the INFJ to get back to reality, that keeps the INFJ from "floating away" too far into his head. Some INFJs see it as a challenge to "meet the deadline" at the very last possible minute. This isn't so for INFPs. An INFP will procrastinate to the point where they are unable to finish tasks on time. (This is not to say that INFPs can't EVER meet deadlines---they can, but they have to push themselves harder than most to keep their focus on the project)

--The INFJ's messy desk isn't messy at all to the INFJ. They have a "system" and can find things easily. The INFJ only considers her desk a mess when she can no longer find where she put things. INFPs don't have a system. It's just a mess. Ask a INFP to find something in his dirty pile and it would probably take him 15min, lol. (My INFP boyfriend needs my help to find his belt and keys every morning)

--INFJs aren't as self-aware with themselves, which is why they constantly feel the need to "search" for something to better explain/analyze themselves and their world. INFJs are on a quest to self-discovery. INFPs are highly self-aware and still search but for different reasons. INFPs don't try to analyze, INFPs are simply on a quest for knowledge. They don't filter anything out--they don't feel the need to. Their Ne just soaks everything up like little sponges. INFJs' Ni is more picky and selective--they want to learn something for a purpose! Everything for the INFJ is about purpose! INFJs have "aha!" moments, or revelations.

--INFJs and INFPs might have difficulty making decisions, but for INFJs, once they make a decision that's it. INFJs make decisions quickly--sometimes rashly, but still they make a decision. INFPs can't make up their minds to save their lives! INFPs over-analyze their problems to the point where they are incapable of making a decision at all. "Ne overload" as my boyfriend puts it. An INFP will sit on a problem for months, usually procrastinating about making a decision until it's too late, or the problem has already gone away.

--INFPs seem somewhat "cold" sometimes due to their Fi. INFPs are EXTREMELY sensitive, yet it is under the surface and unseen. INFJs' Fe allows them to be "gushy" and "emotive." INFJs have no problem expressing themselves, sometimes to the annoyance of the INFP when they feel the INFj is being too "critical." INFPs aren't "gushy." INFPs are intense in a quiet way. (It's kinda hot actually, the hidden passion bubbling just under the surface of the INFP!!! Huzzah!) I call this the teddy bear black hole phenomenon. Those of you who have visited INFPgc know what I'm talking about. :D

--INFJs have goals and constantly move themselves toward those expectations. INFPs have destinations and constantly move themselves toward them for the experience. INFPs just drift to and fro at will, moving wherever the wind will blow them. INFJs scramble like crazy to find a purpose--a goal--something! INFJs don't just "drift" through life. INFPs can easily stop and smell the roses. For this reason, INFJs are better at planning and taking charge.

--INFJs analyze and analyze! INFJs are constantly looking at the "why" and the "how." INFPs like to look at the "what if."

That's totally me! TK*, add up another INFJ who thought he was INFP, but then realized he was INFJ! I ain't lookin' back, baby! :D

Thanks to you both!

This might be the most rewarding thread I've ever started -- and not because of me, but the onslaught of input from the greater community. It can very hard to outline these kinds of differences without biased language, and some of you have certainly done so. Thank you for all your lists, contributions, just . . . wow. I feel like a giant mystery has been solved, and yet somewhere it's still unfolding. I feel the discussions I start online would be so much better if my Fi would get the hell out of the way -- and I come back after a 3-month(?) board hiatus to see that this one wasn't about me! WOOOOOOO!

Based on this discussion and the events at my workplace this past year, I will now change my status back to INFP from INFx and attempt to hold our flag high. (Lol --I only thought I was INFJ for about a week, about a year and a half ago.)

::Reads thread::

Damn I'm an infp, I think. HMMM