Describe Your Musical Essence | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Describe Your Musical Essence

Right, I think I can now share the song that captures my essence. There are two disappointing things to admit before I proceed. The first is that it is a song I’ve shared before. The second is that my explanation won’t be anywhere as eloquent or profound as the explanations given by others on this thread. I personally feel like I’m rarely depressed, but almost perpetually brooding behind a mask of self-assurance. And to me, this is the song that best captures the way I feel on an everyday basis.

The first thing anyone will notice about the song is that, if no attention is paid to the lyrics, it seems to be a pretty chirpy song. In fact, even the lyrics could be interpreted as happy lyrics. But to me, the song is fundamentally tortured – an obsession with trying to reach a potential that is never fully reached. You could have done anything, if you wanted – And all your friends and family, think that you’re lucky. Yes. Most people think I’m confident and ‘happy’ – but there is a deep lack, an existential sense of void going on, and the song puts it into words better than any other song I’ve heard. For that reason, I think this song captures my innermost essence.

Now here's hoping the link will be accessible to all countries:

Right, I think I can now share the song that captures my essence. There are two disappointing things to admit before I proceed. The first is that it is a song I’ve shared before. The second is that my explanation won’t be anywhere as eloquent or profound as the explanations given by others on this thread. I personally feel like I’m rarely depressed, but almost perpetually brooding behind a mask of self-assurance. And to me, this is the song that best captures the way I feel on an everyday basis.

The first thing anyone will notice about the song is that, if no attention is paid to the lyrics, it seems to be a pretty chirpy song. In fact, even the lyrics could be interpreted as happy lyrics. But to me, the song is fundamentally tortured – an obsession with trying to reach a potential that is never fully reached. You could have done anything, if you wanted – And all your friends and family, think that you’re lucky. Yes. Most people think I’m confident and ‘happy’ – but there is a deep lack, an existential sense of void going on, and the song puts it into words better than any other song I’ve heard. For that reason, I think this song captures my innermost essence.

Now here's hoping the link will be accessible to all countries:

I mean it seems like one of those songs that's only supposed to be bright on the surface, like this one:

@Reason With Logic Filling Haha, the game Bioshock Infinite itself made me sad because it once destroyed my laptop through overheating...
I'm not sure if that was their artistic vision, but they say art is what you make out of it. And a broken computer is what you made out of it.

That is so damned weird, when I joined this site I was thinking about starting a thread with the title "The most INFJ song ever written?"
Then this:

EDIT: even weirder is I was going to follow it with "Robots Don't Cry" and write "also is this the most INTP song ever written?"
@Wyote has inadvertently created the greatest thread ever :)

On a musical journey today, when all of a sudden this post.
large.jpg

Of which I never recieved the notification, so sorry about that!

Inspired by @Sandie33
For many of us, music is transformative and contains within it bits and pieces of things that resonate with our soul/inner being. Please use this thread to describe the deep aspects of music and what it means to you. Examples are encouraged for context.

It's no secret to anyone who has been around the forum that Green Day is a huge part of my life. Their lyrics have always paralleled my own life. Billie Joe's voice is like the voice of the older brother I never had, Mike's bass talks to me like the coolest best friend anyone could ever know, and Tre's drumming blends everything together in an insane mesmerizing way that only a highly skilled psycho could achieve. It's all just enough clean, random, skilled, stupid mixture of spiritual perfection for me. Not too serious, but definitely not without merit and heart.

I feel like you'd be a Menzingers fan:

Reactions: Free, Ren and Wyote
I feel like you'd be a Menzingers fan

Cool, thanks for sharing! I feel like I've maybe heard them before but not this particular song, not sure.
After Googling them, they seem to run with crews I sometimes listen to like Anti-Flag and The Bouncing Souls so I've probably come across them at least once or twice.

Speaking of which, here are a few songs that make my soul dance uncontrollably. Some songs just hit that certain spot and my mind goes into hype mode.
I live for that feeling.

Like a lot of people, I was completely obsessed with this song when it came out. It transports me to another time. Cleaner days. Life is messy.

Fuck yeah Anti-Flag. Fuck yeah Bouncing Souls ^_^

2002~2006 were the highlights of that wave of punkrock. Of course, then emo joined the scene and ruined everything. Killjoys. :p

Also. Fuck yeah Strung Out. These guys can *play*. My god. Chills, every time.

Reactions: Free and Wyote
Ok, I have listened to every track in this thread thus far. I feel like I understand several people in some new ways, so thank you for that! I may go back and make some further commentary about different people's songs if that's ok.

I've not brought this song up in a while, but it is one of those songs that is a significant marking point in my life. It will always having meaning to me and reflects a part of me. A bit over the top, which I can be from time to time, but mainly just for the fun of it and to really motivate myself to feel things deeply.

As I continue to search for a song, I would like to say congratulations to Michael Angelakos of Passion pit for finding a beautiful love, and overcoming depression. I love you

Reactions: Free, Ren and Wyote
Another song that describes my perhaps younger essence.

What she read
All heady books, she'd sit and prophesise
It took a tattooed boy from Birkenhead
To really really open her eyes

Man, those lines. Don't ask me why, I know this is supposed to be about a woman, but I've always felt this song described the younger me ;)

As I continue to search for a song, I would like to say congratulations to Michael Angelakos of Passion pit for finding a beautiful love, and overcoming depression. I love you

Passion Pit is the most adorable band to have ever band-ed

I love this song in particular

Reactions: socks and Free
Another song that describes my perhaps younger essence.

Probably, a good song to describe my younger self would be this one. If you've seen How I Met Your Mother, it is referenced a few times in a way that captures my general sentiments towards the song itself, and the show on a whole sort of recaptures the essence of a lot of things I grew up with.

I will never stop playing this song

I love a beautiful song, sung beautifully and on the surface very sincere sounding... but in reality tongue in cheek and very bleak in it's humor, so I love Tom Lehrer and Sherman and Larsen and any of those old, tastelessly brilliant sincere sounding dark humor songs:

I love bad taste- brilliantly bad taste, that is. I couldn't comment on a thread about describing my soul through music and not include these bitter little nasty brilliant songs. This too, is a part of my soul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Free, Wyote and AJ_
I think I read somewhere that INTPs gravitate towards folk music to awaken their feelings... If you listen to this you'll see why, you'd have to be totally completely dead inside not to have an emotional reaction.

Warning: will cause massive amounts of depression... kind of nice to listen to when you're already depressed if you want to double down on the feeling.

This song gets to me... I have a very hard time listening to it but once it starts it's like I get "trapped" in the mood of it... Absolutely Haunting lyrics that stay with me for days after I listen:
"My mind's too full of memories,
Too old to hear new chimes..."

"When he took her off to Birmingham,
She took away my soul"
and when the singer starts choking up singing the chorus at the end, he sings this song all the time and it's STILL getting at him.

Last edited: