Describe Your Musical Essence | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Describe Your Musical Essence

Somehow @infinite dreams picking the two best JP songs as the two best JP songs has made me so damn happy I actually, and this is not an exaggeration, feel light-headed.
I mean I like Electric Eye better but still... bravo sir, bravo!

Somehow @infinite dreams picking the two best JP songs as the two best JP songs has made me so damn happy I actually, and this is not an exaggeration, feel light-headed.
I mean I like Electric Eye better but still... bravo sir, bravo!

Your appreciation of JP has gained you points in my book good sir.

d71f6a5bf0550fc7e4919add87d371c427ab24d58dac1fbbdaee287a535f7af1.jpg

When it comes to extreme music, Converge is my go-to. That chord progression at 3:16 is impossible to capture into words. I think this song 'Jane Doe' is a metal masterpiece, no less!

That chord progression at 3:16 is impossible to capture into words.

I'm glad you said this - it reminds me of something that sticks out for me - specific moments in music that move or resonate. It's a huge thing for me.

The solo starting at 2:35 is one of the most beautiful, transcendent things I've ever heard. Drives me nuts every time I hear it. I think it's because of the motif it creates with the first song on the album (it's a concept album about The Silmarillion).

Guys, for once, can we take this elsewhere? I'm all for puns, but I feel bad about ruining a thread that's so very close to Wyote's heart. :)

I'm used to my heart being shit on by now.

That being said though, this thread is a great mix of seriousness and slightly off topic connecting with one another.

Get either earbuds or earphones
turn your sound up
turn out all your lights
play this song
close your eyes
imagine
thank me later
Edit: if you have a fog machine in your room or if you can listen to it in the middle of the forest at midnight then you don't have to close your eyes.

This is now a Soundgarden thread.
Damn that was good, I never heard that song before.
and no, it's not a soundgarden thread anymore because I have to ruin everything with a jazz number with very limited appeal to most:
Why? you may be wondering- because i'd heard of movies with twist endings and books with twist endings, but this was the first I'd ever heard a song with a twist ending. Part of my soul because of how different and wonderful it is in it's own way.

The words elude me. It's too personal to share and yet too universal to keep from you. Why can I not give voice to reason and to empathy and our paradoxical shared loneliness? We are alone. Always have been. Always will be. It is the very essence of the human condition.
We live on this tiny planet, a speck of dust in space. Space so vast we measure it in multiple billions of light years. Space so old, we need a time scale of billions of years. We are so insignificant, and we live for such a short time, it's awe inspiring and terrifying at the same time.
Why are we here? What is our purpose? Is there even a purpose? What happens after we die? These are questions for theologians, philosophers, scientists. And.. children. Every child asks 'why', until their parents are tired of the constant stream of questions and teach their children not to wonder. By means of a whisper, a scream, or a beating hand. Teaching children to accept, to surrender, to quiet their minds. Destroying the spirit of another because they themselves had their spirits destroyed before them. Tired not having the answers, of having to stare the unknown in the face and being constantly reminded of how little we actually know. I understand the allure of not wanting to care, the temptation of not wanting to think.

I was 12 when the existential crisis began and the suicidal thoughts took hold. Though I suppose, it's really always been there, hasn't it? Looking for a better place, chasing Utopia. I was 15 when, finally convinced such a place doesn't exist, the nihilism took over and I attempted to end my existence. Obviously, I failed.
I was 15 when I was so lost, the music found me. In Bad Religion, I saw my thoughts mirrored, my feelings reflected. I. Wasn't. Alone. There was at least one other human being on this planet who felt the same, who reasoned the same, who understood. And that was all I needed. Just one was enough.

And so the search continues. I didn't fail at suicide, I succeeded at survival.

I haven't had the time, but when I do I'll listen to the songs here, particularly ones with good descriptions about them, but I'll try to listen to everything since I assume if it's being put here it contains some considerable meaning

I haven't had the time, but when I do I'll listen to the songs here, particularly ones with good descriptions about them, but I'll try to listen to everything since I assume if it's being put here it contains some considerable meaning
Other than when @Ren got me off topic and I just linked some French musicians everything I've linked here is meaningful to me on a personal level, even if I can't explain it. Still, if you want to save time just listen to robots don't cry and skip the rest of mine. Robot's don't cry is the one that hits it, cheesy though it may be.

Reactions: Free, Ren and Wyote
Mine feels like an eclectic mix. At one point, Norah Jones was my soul sista :D. She reflected a soft side of me. But when things were difficult, I wavered and forth between sexy top 40 & hip hop hits, lol, and more international music from french and Bollywood artists. I was rethinking my playlist recently, and it took me back to the 90s and early 2000s, some of the best times for music. But I haven't listened to new music lately, except a few country hits. So, I would have to rewrite my playlist. Haven't felt hugely connected to a particular artist, although I do like the songs Tim McGraw and Faith Hill released. So, still trying to find my musical essence/voice today. It's a journey. :)

Reactions: Free and Wyote
I'll skip over obvious selections ..classical and the like. I don't listen to a lot of music with words these days. I listen to The Refreshments on occasion. I find their music to be exceptionally down to earth. A telling of a life I've never lived and I can in part experience part of that life through the music. Not that its GREAT music, it's just very real down to earth and not about some rock star writing about what they think will sell music.

Other than when @Ren got me off topic and I just linked some French musicians everything I've linked here is meaningful to me on a personal level, even if I can't explain it. Still, if you want to save time just listen to robots don't cry and skip the rest of mine. Robot's don't cry is the one that hits it, cheesy though it may be.

I forgot to mention that I enjoyed that song ('Robots don't cry') a lot. Thanks for sharing it, young INTP.