Describe Your Musical Essence | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Describe Your Musical Essence

Maybe sometimes it’s not a song that captures one’s essence, but an album.

Most albums are just collections of songs, but I think a precious few manage to transcend their individual tracks into the unified vision of work of art, so much so that it becomes difficult to fully enjoy or even speak about each single song separately from the experience of the whole. I love it when albums manage to create little worlds in that way – with their own imagery and soundscapes, but also hopes, insights, philosophies even – little animate worlds so full of richness of texture that over time they develop a life of their own, and stay close to the minds and hearts of those who engage with them and who, perhaps in their vulnerable moments, can find a voice, a tone, a mood to relate to in this deep, almost mystical way that art sometimes makes possible.

For me such an album exists, and it’s The Cure’s Disintegration. Sure, it spawned some pretty well- known singles: “Pictures of You”, “Lovesong”, “Lullaby” – all incredible songs on their own, which most goth rock bands could only have dreamt of penning. But to me Disintegration is much more than those songs. It’s a universe I can truly get lost in, but also feel accepted in – it’s a strange feeling. Its gorgeous soundscapes are intimidatingly spacious, they expand the mind’s eye to mountains on the horizon, if it dares to go; and yet at the same time they are also eerily enveloping, almost womb-like. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to an album that’s as giving, as loving, even just from its sonic textures. It’s a patient ride and it explores many states of feeling, but it never lets go of its embrace.

Whenever I’m feeling let down by life in some way, I know I can always return to Disintegration and find there a world that will comfort me. But it will not pat me on the shoulder – oh no, I would hate that. It will help me face my fears and dark musings, grab my hand and help me find my way through the labyrinth. It will say: “It’s okay, you can take your time. You’re accepted here. We know how you feel.” And eventually, the hand will lead me to a wide, open clearing, and there will be light.

I consider music as resonating with me if it makes my hair feel like it's standing up on end and I get goosebumps with a brief body high. While all different types of music do that to me at some point or another, I certainly gravitate towards a certain type of music; Music with angry pain, not a sad sorrowful pain. I guess anger resonates with my soul. If anyone knew who I was, I think that would be surprising to them, because I'm not an angry angsty weirdo but it's been this way since I was 11 and I've never grown out of it. I've been embarrassed of it a bit, because I don't know what that means about me. It's not everyone's cup of tea - especially women so I feel like it does reveal something about me that I'm not sure I want it to reveal and it's something I've wondered about before. Who knows. It is what it is.

This song has everything my soul craves. The sound and the lyrics:

This one gave me goosebumps just trying to find a video to post.

Well, I made a thread here called "Pop Music".

I took weekly piano lessons for a decade. It was some jazz, but all from a classical perspective. My lessons were on how to interpret Masters. From many aspects.

But I live for Pop Music! That's my essence. It's the hooks. I want to be fascinated with the ingenuity. I want to get saturated with the inspiration. Always seeing something new and exciting. John Keats 1820 "Ode On a Grecian Urn".

My essence is R&B/Soul and instrumental music, most from soundtracks. I like other types of music too, like pop, (occasionally) dance, and rock. But with R&B/Soul and instrumental music, I find that it speaks to my soul the most. Music with a good melody, good bass line, lush, harmonious and soulful voices. Just listening to a very good R&B song feeds my soul.

Songs that speak to my soul:

Her voice combined with the choir.. just wow.

Instrumentals:

It took me almost forever to find this song, but when I was very little I thought this song was very intriguing as well:

awesome

A couple more songs that had a significant influence in developing my formative years.
I don't know what to say about them exactly, other than they both scratch some itch.
Like reminding me of all the time I spent in sports bars with friends, or late night pizza/pool/gaming.

I've been avoiding this thread, not because I dislike it, not at all. In fact, it's a very personal topic for me. My musical essence, and the pieces that are so dear to me, can evoke such emotional responses that I have to be in that deeply connected mind set because of its power. Most of the time, I fit my music to my mood, to either match it or shift it and change the way that I'm feeling either physically or mentally.

There are certain songs that I go back to, time and time again, and for me will always transcend age and whatever the kids are listening to nowadays. (Meaning they remind of the fact that I fell in love with them 20 years ago, and still listen to them often. #old) I'm sorting the pieces I want to share in my mind as I write this, and while I go back through the previous pages to read everyone's posts.

I truly love this thread. ❤

I've been avoiding this thread, not because I dislike it, not at all. In fact, it's a very personal topic for me. My musical essence, and the pieces that are so dear to me, can evoke such emotional responses that I have to be in that deeply connected mind set because of its power. Most of the time, I fit my music to my mood, to either match it or shift it and change the way that I'm feeling either physically or mentally.

There are certain songs that I go back to, time and time again, and for me will always transcend age and whatever the kids are listening to nowadays. (Meaning they remind of the fact that I fell in love with them 20 years ago, and still listen to them often. #old) I'm sorting the pieces I want to share in my mind as I write this, and while I go back through the previous pages to read everyone's posts.

I truly love this thread. ❤

I feel you on that. I was sort of afraid of making this thread, which is why I did it :)

I feel you on that. I was sort of afraid of making this thread, which is why I did it :)
I already knew we had similar tastes in music, but after reading the thread in its entirety, I'm just grinning at it all. I'm chocking it up to being a generational thing since we're both thirty-something-or-other. :p

Can't remember if I posted this. I'm always listening to this. I don't know why, it's creepy as hell! Hah! I'm creepy

Reactions: Misty
Wyote, though I relate most to another member here on music with all the feels.. cough.. ○.○ - there is no other fellow INFJ who shares my deep abiding love of music with a lil attitude.. :sunglasses:

Like this:
Annnnddd...
And a lil...
Hehehee.. and a lot of songs you showed me that I still have saved to this day :)

Reactions: Wyote
Really need to get some Miley Sirus
Untitled.jpg

Reactions: Wyote