Staff member
Administrator
Sep 28, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
954 so/sx
Inspired by @Sandie33
For many of us, music is transformative and contains within it bits and pieces of things that resonate with our soul/inner being. Please use this thread to describe the deep aspects of music and what it means to you. Examples are encouraged for context.

It's no secret to anyone who has been around the forum that Green Day is a huge part of my life. Their lyrics have always paralleled my own life. Billie Joe's voice is like the voice of the older brother I never had, Mike's bass talks to me like the coolest best friend anyone could ever know, and Tre's drumming blends everything together in an insane mesmerizing way that only a highly skilled psycho could achieve. It's all just enough clean, random, skilled, stupid mixture of spiritual perfection for me. Not too serious, but definitely not without merit and heart.

Thank you so much for making. I love the idea, and am going to put a lot of thought into what I decide to post here

Aww shucks

Exactly this :D
The evocation of feelings, thoughts and vibration. It's amazing to me that voice alone can add or deplete our energies. We as humans "speak our own notes". Even the squeekiest, high pitched voice, when singing can be the most melodous ... put all the voices together and a grand harmony, pitch perfect experience occurs, set it to music and oh my!

For example the individual that puts on fast, upbeat tunes because they're cleaning. Or, the studious individual that puts on quiet tones to background studying.

Orchastra music used to be like candy to my soul. I fell ear over note for LS, because their music resonates deep in an inner place in me. It's the music that I can listen to repetitively and never tire from.

Others' examples...the blend of words and music let's me know I am not alone, there are others that face similar life experience. Music does make us stronger or weak in the knees ;)

It's no secret to anyone who has been around the forum that Green Day is a huge part of my life. Their lyrics have always paralleled my own life. Billie Joe's voice is like the voice of the older brother I never had, Mike's bass talks to me like the coolest best friend anyone could ever know, and Tre's drumming blends everything together in an insane mesmerizing way that only a highly skilled psycho could achieve. It's all just enough clean, random, skilled, stupid mixture of spiritual perfection for me. Not too serious, but definitely not without merit and heart.

Hehe yes, one of the very few times I've seen you being a little defensive is when I gently poked fun at Green Day on the Rare music finds thread ;) To be honest, although I do genuinely like Green Day (especially 90s Green Day) I almost prefer your description of your relationship to their music.

As for my own contribution... I'll stick to @Icedream's path and give it some thought first, since I take "describe your musical essence" as quite a specific question, different than "describe your life in a song" for example, which was the topic of another recent thread.

When I was younger, and angrier, Soundgarden spoke to me a lot much the same as a lot of metal bands- Megadeath, Judas Priest and the like. Now that i'm truly happy and calm I still like that music, but I don't really listen to it anymore because I don't feel those feelings of rejection and hate like I used to. It's less relevant to me now, i'm mainly a jazz man because life, (for me) is a cabaret old chum.

EDIT: added videos

Last edited:
I relate to that a lot. do you think music taste is about personality, emotional state, or neither?
It's the mirror of your soul isn't it? You don't listen to goofy, silly songs if you don't have a silly side. You don't listen to the sad stuff unless you understand and relate to pain. You don't listen to angry music unless you know the feeling well. If you didn't feel these things, there'd be no point would there?

I relate to that a lot. do you think music taste is about personality, emotional state, or neither?

Both, plus the objective qualities of a song. Though these objective qualities are extremely difficult to define formally, I'm pretty sure I enjoy Beethoven's 9th and Miles Davis's Kind of Blue not only because of my personality and emotional state. It seems that these pieces have something of value that is external to me.

It's the mirror of your soul isn't it? You don't listen to goofy, silly songs if you don't have a silly side. You don't listen to the sad stuff unless you understand and relate to pain. You don't listen to angry music unless you know the feeling well. If you didn't feel these things, there'd be no point would there?

I listen to Mozart, who was a genius... does that mean I'm a genius? ;)

I listen to Mozart, who was a genius... does that mean I'm a genius? ;)
I don't know- maybe you are, there are lots of different kinds of intelligence. I think I've used three quotes from Einstein on this forum but it's already time for a fourth:
"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree you're going to be disappointed."

I think there's more to it than that. It's also about what we put value into, I think.

Both, plus the objective qualities of a song. Though these objective qualities are extremely difficult to define formally, I'm pretty sure I enjoy Beethoven's 9th and Miles Davis's Kind of Blue not only because of my personality and emotional state. It seems that these pieces have something of value that is external to me.
intriguing! tell me more.

I don't know- maybe you are, there are lots of different kinds of intelligence. I think I've used three quotes from Einstein on this forum but it's already time for a fourth:
"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree you're going to be disappointed."

I see where Albert is going. Genius should only be measured against a potentiality that can in fact be actualised. Where do we set the bar for humans, though? Probably a little higher than swimming fast in the sea like fish do. Maybe listening to Mozart could work as a yardstick, in any case it would suit my case pretty well.

Okay, I've derailed this thread enough for now. Please help me re-rail it and share one of these jazz songs that capture your (current) essence ;)

Okay, I've derailed this thread enough for now. Please help me re-rail it and share one of these jazz songs that capture your (current) essence ;)
It's slow and smooth, and maybe a bit boring to some- but when you think about it there's a lot of complexity in it. I may not be smooth though :p