Deeper understanding of the Enneagram & Triads | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

Deeper understanding of the Enneagram & Triads

Can anyone explain the most basic or obvious differences between the 4w5 and the 5w4. Feels like i'm on the borderline considering the descriptions.

Well, not sure if it will help exactly, but 4w5 is primarily a feeling type (being in the feeling center) whereas 5w4 is a thinking type (in the thinking center).

Also, your basic desires and motivations would still come from your base type. Thus a 4w5 shows traits of a type 5, but is still motivated primarily by issues concerning identity and personal significance. A 5w4 on the other hand is primarily motivated by issues concerning competence.

One other that I find helpful is that type 4's often feel separate due to their own uniqueness and differences from others, whereas type 5's feel detached due to looking at the world more objectively as an 'outside observer'.

Can anyone explain the most basic or obvious differences between the 4w5 and the 5w4. Feels like i'm on the borderline considering the descriptions.

Forget about the wing for now, compare between type 4 and type 5, are you more of an image type or more of a head type? Are you comfortable showing and living your emotions or do you sometimes get overwhelmed by your emotions?

Well, not sure if it will help exactly, but 4w5 is primarily a feeling type (being in the feeling center) whereas 5w4 is a thinking type (in the thinking center).

Also, your basic desires and motivations would still come from your base type. Thus a 4w5 shows traits of a type 5, but is still motivated primarily by issues concerning identity and personal significance. A 5w4 on the other hand is primarily motivated by issues concerning competence.

One other that I find helpful is that type 4's often feel separate due to their own uniqueness and differences from others, whereas type 5's feel detached due to looking at the world more objectively as an 'outside observer'.

Well . . . you see, both kinda fit. I do focus on developing myself as a person and my overall value, but i am also very concerned with how competent or credible i am or am perceived. But i don't think feelings of separateness come from any real unique aspects of self, but more from how i look at or see things so i'm probably more 5 in that respect, as an "outside observer" type.

Forget about the wing for now, compare between type 4 and type 5, are you more of an image type or more of a head type? Are you comfortable showing and living your emotions or do you sometimes get overwhelmed by your emotions?

I tend to get overwhelmed by my emotions, no doubt. I always feel self conscious about display of emotion. So, maybe 5 is more likely then. Hmm.

Attempt no2:

Four - The Romantic, The Individualist

Hallmark characteristic: pervasive sense of something vital missing in life
Worldview: Something is missing. Others have it. I have been abandoned.

Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance
Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an identity)

Theme: Longing for love at a distance, feeling disappointed when love is near at hand. We used to be connected, now it doesn't feel right. We had it once. Where did it go? Lifelong searching for heart connection; attraction, hate, high drama, pain. Elegant lifestyles, unique presentation, a distinctive career, creative business view. At its best, the passionate quest leads to depth of feeling. As a posture, dramatic moods make Fours too precious for ordinary life.

Five - The Observer, The Investigator

Hallmark characteristic: detachment; viewing the world as an uninvolved observer
Worldview: The world is invasive. I need privacy to think and to refuel my energies.

Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent

Theme: Detached from love and charged emotion. Needing privacy to discover what they feel. Separated from people in public, feeling more emotional when they're by themselves. Fives like protected work environments, no interruptions, limited windows of contact, and agendas announced in advance. At its best, the detached stance produces reliable, clear-minded analysis. As a psychological strategy, detachment minimizes contact.

Note that I just ripped these from a couple of books and enneagraminstitute.com, so if it sounds wonky its not because I'm making up stuff. So far I'm convinced that you are a 5 btw.

Reactions: Gaze
thx Kaze. Definitely a 5. :)

:m111:

Last edited:
Just wanted some quick feedback. What enneagram type do I strike people as?

Reactions: IndigoSensor
3w4 maybe? you strike me as quite composed

I don't see 3 so strongly in TDHT because I haven't really ever seen her as really eager to gain repore with people and promote oneself, but, I could be wrong. If she is a 3 I would guess 3w2. I see more of a 2 but saying that feels funny for some reason.

I also want some feedback, what Enneagram type do I strike you as? (You being the people in general; 2nd person ftw)

Just wanted some quick feedback. What enneagram type do I strike people as?

I'm getting more and more well versed with this system, but I still don't have all the types down pat. However, that said, I really don't think you're a 9. You're too passionate in conversation to be a 9. You have no trouble stating your opinion with enthusiasm and taking control of the conversation.

I also want some feedback, what Enneagram type do I strike you as? (You being the people in general; 2nd person ftw)

You seem a lot like a 5 to me.

You seem a lot like a 5 to me.

Seconded.

There are a lot of 4's, 5's, and 9's here from what I have seen. It makes sense too because a forum like this is full of stuff related to personal identity and learning about human nature. No surprise 4 and 5 types would gravitate to such a thing.

I just recently took an enneagram test, and I'm 5w6 sp/so/sx. It's interesting stuff.

I don't see 3 so strongly in TDHT because I haven't really ever seen her as really eager to gain repore with people and promote oneself, but, I could be wrong. If she is a 3 I would guess 3w2. I see more of a 2 but saying that feels funny for some reason.

i haven't either actually, but from what i know of 3s they are usually poised, which is how i see her. maybe 1 would be more fitting? she seems to have a strong moral foundation

I'm noticing a pattern here. According to data from the various Enneagram sites...

7s are very commonly Ne dominant.
4s are very commonly Fi dominant.
3s are very commonly Te dominant.
2s are very commonly Fe dominant.
5s are very commonly Ti dominant or Te secondary.
9s are very commonly Fe secondary.
6s are very commonly Si dominant.
8s are very commonly Se dominant or Te dominant.

1s are very commonly J types.

While reading the descriptions of these types, it's really starting to look like this is a method of describing the MBTI without knowing anything about the MBTI.

For example, read the description of 4s, and think INFP or ISFP when you read it. It will line up almost perfectly. The same is true for most of the other types.

Granted, the interpretation of type is a bit muddled, because of how the 16 different MBTI types have been incorporated into the 9 Enneatypes, with most of the focus on Sensors, since they're close to 75% of the population. Enneagram has had to retrofit the less common types into itself, and has made exceptions over the years to even further muddle itself, but the more I look at this, the more I see this pattern of some core Jungian functions relating very strongly to Enneatype.

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder how it would look if we translated ennatype scores into cognitive process usage, kinda like those function tests.

Of course, the way you have it Ni is missing from the picture, but I bet it'd come out pretty close to other normal scores.

Hmm, I wonder how it would look if we translated ennatype scores into cognitive process usage, kinda like those function tests.

That would take a rather large amount of data to cross reference, but I'd love to see it myself... cross reference the cognitive functions scores with the overall Enneatype scores. Might make an interesting map of tendencies.

Of course, the way you have it Ni is missing from the picture, but I bet it'd come out pretty close to other normal scores.

Ni dominance is exceedingly rare. Something like 2% of the population (and presumptively the Ni dominant population has grown a lot in the past 50 years, so it was less than 1% when Enneagram was invented). I'm sure that's why Enneagram overlooked it.

Last edited: