Deeper understanding of the Enneagram & Triads | Page 12 | INFJ Forum

Deeper understanding of the Enneagram & Triads

I let my Ni sleep on it, and I have come up with the following: 6, 4, 8 because I realized that the ideal modes of these types perfectly describe what I aspire to, and if I am at my healthiest, what I would be.

Ideal Modes (These are the ideals that I aspire to)
6 becomes 9 (peace, serenity, attunement, all as part of the internal and inherent state of being)
4 becomes 1 (idealism, perfectionism, benevolence, taking a stand for what is right, being the ideal)
8 becomes 2 (kindness, love, warmth, patience, helping others)

Normal Modes
6 (indecicive, concerned with loyalty comfort and security, a crusader when need be, overanalyzing)
4 (concerned with 'who I am', always seeking beauty, prefer to live in a fantasy world, self image)
8 (underneath it all, very direct, pushy, strong, magnanimous, instinctive, sensual, passionate)

Unhealthy Modes (These are modes I can fall into as they are the unhealthy sides of these types)
6 becomes 3 (pushy, nervous energy, overdoer, prideful, boastful, obsessive, stressed out, go go go!)
4 becomes 2 (clingy, needy, lonely, desperate for a rescuer, willing to give too much, devastated)
8 becomes 5 (callous, insensitive, cold, practical, efficient, calculating, intellectually brutal)

These types also seem to imply the wings previously mentioned (6w5, 4w3, 8w9). At this point, I'm not sure if I have any wings, or even if they exist, but are instread an illusion caused by the way the triads interact when healthy and unhealthy. Also note that one triad could be healthy while another unhealthy and the other normal. They're all relative unto themselves. Granted, it is likely that health or unhealth in one will pull at the others, so while they are connected, there is a large degree of autonomy.

However, I suppose I could claim 6w5, 4w3, 8w9 to express what I've determined here as a shorthand for those who understand the tritype and wings theory.

Last edited:
For those familiar with the tri-type theory...

Do the fixes switch priority? For example, if I were a 6w5, 8w9, 4w3 would the 'core' function be variable depending on the situation at hand?

If I'm in a head situation, then 6w5 would be most apparent. If it's a gut reaction 8w9 is most apparent. If it's an image issue 4w3 is most apparent. Does this mean I'm switching my core to adapt, or is the core inherent regardless of situational need? (I realize that the patent answer is 'core is core', but I'm looking for more insight on this, as it seems to not be the case. Or perhaps something in the middle.)

Is it possible that our example person is capable of all of the following configurations, conditionally... assuming that one or some are more common or reflexive?

6w5 8w9 4w3
6w5 4w3 8w9
8w9 4w3 6w5
8w9 6w5 4w3
4w3 6w5 8w9
4w3 8w9 6w5

In my test results almost always I get the sp/so/sx subtypes, and when I read the overview, in general, of people sp/so I can see my likeness. But I'm a Enneagram 4 and when I read the combinations of these in my Enneagram I'm most related to the so/sp. Is this possible? Could anyone help me please.