Deeper understanding of the Enneagram & Triads

arbygil

Passing through
Nov 29, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Can anyone explain how sx/so would apply to type 1 (either wing), 4 (possibly wing 5), and 8w9 (no doubt about wing if it's my type)? I've been trying to determine my Enneagram type for a while now... though admittedly, I haven't been putting a lot of effort into it, just bursts here and there (heh, typical sx variant I guess). @DefectiveCreative:, @arbygil:?

The Instinctual Stackings of Enneatype One

Enneatype One belongs to the instinctual/gut triad; its instinctual energy and anger are directed inward. This inward build-up of energies gives to the sexual variant an energy similar to a cork under pressure. The fixation of the One is focused on containnment and improvement, but the sexual instinct is passionate and impulsive and its needs don't take kindly to "going underground." It is essentially opposed to Oneness.

Comparatively, the social One is less conflicted. The social instinct lends itself more to a plan, an order; the instinctual energy has a natural outlet. Not everyone sees things the same way as the One however, and that

@VH: I think you are a 4w5, or possibly a 1w9 but I think 4w5 is better. You aren't nearly extroverted or dominating enough to be an 8. I tend to think 4 over 1. Reason being is I am definitely a 1 (1w2 so it's slightly different), and you don't have nearly the same perfectionism drive in you that I do. You let things go much easier and are ok with it. Relationships you hang on to, but that's a 4 trait more then anything. I am gonna go with 4w5. In particular after reading the stacks arby supplied.

The rest, @VH:,can be found here. Check the sidebar for stackings related to different Enneagrams. :D

Have fun!

Thanks. That was helpful.

@VH: I think you are a 4w5, or possibly a 1w9 but I think 4w5 is better. You aren't nearly extroverted or dominating enough to be an 8. I tend to think 4 over 1. Reason being is I am definitely a 1 (1w2 so it's slightly different), and you don't have nearly the same perfectionism drive in you that I do. You let things go much easier and are ok with it. Relationships you hang on to, but that's a 4 trait more then anything. I am gonna go with 4w5. In particular after reading the stacks arby supplied.

I read the descriptions and the only thing I can say with certainty is that my Chiropractor is wrong. I'm not an 8.

1 and 4 both have a lot of merit. The person I used to be seems a lot more like a 1 sx/so with some 4 influence, and the person I am now seems a lot more like a 4 sx/so with some 1 influence. It was very odd reading such an accurate description of who I used to be. My best guess here is that either I've let go of some of the self defeating sensibilities of type 1 but still am a type 1 or because Enneagram is based on our inherent fears and how we deal with them that I've overcome the set of fears that drove me to be a type 1, and now am left with the motivations for type 4s, hence I've grown into a type 4. (and not a word about how people can't change, Indy! hehe)

Thanks. That was helpful.

I read the descriptions and the only thing I can say with certainty is that my Chiropractor is wrong. I'm not an 8.

1 and 4 both have a lot of merit. The person I used to be seems a lot more like a 1 sx/so with some 4 influence, and the person I am now seems a lot more like a 4 sx/so with some 1 influence. It was very odd reading such an accurate description of who I used to be. My best guess here is that either I've let go of some of the self defeating sensibilities of type 1 but still am a type 1 or because Enneagram is based on our inherent fears and how we deal with them that I've overcome the set of fears that drove me to be a type 1, and now am left with the motivations for type 4s, hence I've grown into a type 4. (and not a word about how people can't change, Indy! hehe)

I also don't get much of a type 1 vibe from you Von. To be honest, I understand how enneagram works in perfection. I get a very strong type 4 vibe from you though, followed by 9. You seem to take an easy going, friendly approach while still remaining a bit detached. You tend to stay away from big drama, you just want to help others in a peaceful way..I could be wrong though..just a feeling

Reactions: bamf

The integration growth path of Four points to type One.

Actually, with the Enneagram, it is possible to change - but you usually change on your point axis. For you, it's especially true, VH, that you could have been a 1 and now are a 4.

The points are in triads: 1-4-7; 2-5-8; and 3-6-9. Each point can represent you entrenched in an attitude (disintegration), or ascending to your so-called "ideal" self (integration)

Disintegration follows this pattern: 1-4-2-8-5-7-1 and 9-6-3-9. An unhealthy 1 will act like the worst of a 4's traits, an unhealthy 4 acts like the worst of a 2's traits, an unhealthy 2 acts like an 8...and so on. All of it is in that order.

On the other hand, Integration follows this pattern:1-7-5-8-2-4-1 and 9-3-6-9. So an extremely healthy 1 will display the best of a 7s traits, an extremely healthy 7 will display the best of a 5's traits, an extremely healthy 8 displays the best of a 2's traits...and so on.

So, given this information, it's very likely that you're on the 1-4-7 triad. You just have to figure out what's your default, and how you behave under stress.

Actually, with the Enneagram, it is possible to change - but you usually change on your point axis. For you, it's especially true, VH, that you could have been a 1 and now are a 4.

The points are in triads: 1-4-7; 2-5-8; and 3-6-9. Each point can represent you entrenched in an attitude (disintegration), or ascending to your so-called "ideal" self (integration)

Disintegration follows this pattern: 1-4-2-8-5-7-1 and 9-6-3-9. An unhealthy 1 will act like the worst of a 4's traits, an unhealthy 4 acts like the worst of a 2's traits, an unhealthy 2 acts like an 8...and so on. All of it is in that order.

On the other hand, Integration follows this pattern:1-7-5-8-2-4-1 and 9-3-6-9. So an extremely healthy 1 will display the best of a 7s traits, an extremely healthy 7 will display the best of a 5's traits, an extremely healthy 8 displays the best of a 2's traits...and so on.

So, given this information, it's very likely that you're on the 1-4-7 triad. You just have to figure out what's your default, and how you behave under stress.

That was a very helpful breakdown, Arbygil. I believe the 3-6-9 triad fits me the most.

That was a very helpful breakdown, Arbygil. I believe the 3-6-9 triad fits me the most.

Me too, TDHT. I used to test as a 6w5 often, but I realize I tested that way when I was under some stress for some time. But I might be a 6w5 at my default, and I've integrated to 9. Or, 6w5 was me under extreme stress and 9 is my default. Either way, I think I'm happy. :)

Me too, TDHT. I used to test as a 6w5 often, but I realize I tested that way when I was under some stress for some time. But I might be a 6w5 at my default, and I've integrated to 9. Or, 6w5 was me under extreme stress and 9 is my default. Either way, I think I'm happy. :)

You actually do strike me as a 9, Arby.

That break up does not help me much.

I have always related to types 2,4 and 5 the most.

What I don't like about enneagram is that it forces you to be with a certain number, for example a type 3 must have a 4/2 wing and so on.

Though I could be wrong.

That break up does not help me much.

I have always related to types 2,4 and 5 the most.

What I don't like about enneagram is that it forces you to be with a certain number, for example a type 3 must have a 4/2 wing and so on.

Though I could be wrong.

That's strange. I actually like the enneagram because I find it is much more fluid and flexible than MBTI. The wings reflect which triad that you share tendencies with and it builds a more comprehensive look at your personality in different situations. You're not forced into being just a 3w2, for example. That's just your core. Depending on how healthy of a 3 you are, you can share the positive or negative traits of a 6 or a 9. Your wing has a similar deal going on. You can share the negative or positive traits of an 8 or a 4. So you're actually covering broader ground and your personal range looks like 6-3-9 w 8-2-4.

That's strange. I actually like the enneagram because I find it is much more fluid and flexible than MBTI. The wings reflect which triad that you share tendencies with and it builds a more comprehensive look at your personality in different situations. You're not forced into being just a 3w2, for example. That's just your core. Depending on how healthy of a 3 you are, you can share the positive or negative traits of a 6 or a 9. Your wing has a similar deal going on. You can share the negative or positive traits of an 8 or a 4. So you're actually covering broader ground and your personal range looks like 6-3-9 w 8-2-4.

Heh, its this exact fluidity with the system that makes me not like it nearly as much as MBTI. It's too wishy-washy and broad but it does explain things.

Heh, its this exact fluidity with the system that makes me not like it nearly as much as MBTI. It's too wishy-washy and broad but it does explain things.

If you wanna call simultaneously reflecting the present and potential personality wishy-washy, then yep. But I'm also of the opinion that's also a quality of psychology in general; it's very much dynamic, not static. That being said, I was still able to peg you with some degree of accuracy, wasn't I? And I had an easier time of it than going through all your cognitive functions results. :p

And yeah, you are such a 1 sometimes it isn't funny. LOL.

I see now, the wings can be extended as well. So it is possible to maintain different characteristics from different types. Which brings me to the other side of the spectrum, finding your core self must be extremely hard. With all the possibilities and variety, how do we know for sure which type we are? I seen plenty of members, including myself going back and forth, changing types, attributing cognitive functions etc when in the end we just get into bigger confusion.

If you wanna call simultaneously reflecting the present and potential personality wishy-washy, then yep. But I'm also of the opinion that's also a quality of psychology in general; it's very much dynamic, not static. That being said, I was still able to peg you with some degree of accuracy, wasn't I? And I had an easier time of it than going through all your cognitive functions results. :p

And yeah, you are such a 1 sometimes it isn't funny. LOL.

Oh I don't dislike it. I just don't study it as much as mbti because I don't see enough structure in it for me to work with it enough. It certainly is very useful though :smile:.

I see now, the wings can be extended as well. So it is possible to maintain different characteristics from different types. Which brings me to the other side of the spectrum, finding your core self must be extremely hard. With all the possibilities and variety, how do we know for sure which type we are? I seen plenty of members, including myself going back and forth, changing types, attributing cognitive functions etc when in the end we just get into bigger confusion.

You have to see yourself at your natural state, Raccoon - more like this: When you're perfectly at ease, what are you like? The Enneagram more or less pegs your true motivations and teaches you how to deal with them in a healthy way. Helps you overcome your fears, if you like:

One - Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.

Two - Key Motivations: Want to be loved, to express their feelings for others, to be needed and appreciated, to get others to respond to them, to vindicate their claims about themselves.

Three - Key Motivations: Want to be affirmed, to distinguish themselves from others, to have attention, to be admired, and to impress others.

Four - Key Motivations: Want to express themselves and their individuality, to create and surround themselves with beauty, to maintain certain moods and feelings, to withdraw to protect their self-image, to take care of emotional needs before attending to anything else, to attract a "rescuer."

Five - Key Motivations: Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment.

Six - Key Motivations: Want to have security, to feel supported by others, to have certitude and reassurance, to test the attitudes of others toward them, to fight against anxiety and insecurity.

Seven - Key Motivations: Want to maintain their freedom and happiness, to avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, to keep themselves excited and occupied, to avoid and discharge pain.

Eight - Key Motivations: Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation.

Nine - Key Motivations: Want to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever would upset or disturb them.

The wings are either one up or one down from your main number: 1w9 or 9w1, 2w1 or 2w3, 3w2 or 3w4...and so on. The wings distinguish you in subtle ways, and the stackings distinguish you even more. You definitely get a fuller picture of yourself if you use the wings and stacking, along with your Enneagram number.

I don't think the idea is to find your core type forever and amen and be at peace with it. It's enough to figure out which triad you primarily seem to belong to and go from there.

I don't think the idea is to find your core type forever and amen and be at peace with it. It's enough to figure out which triad you primarily seem to belong to and go from there.

Exactly. You could be one of three at any particular time, depending on how you're feeling.

If it helps, I really think you're on the 2-5-8 triad, RL.

That is indeed quite interesting, but a lot different then how tests portray it. You see some questions ask Are you calm? are you easy going? Yes, that is my main goal to create peace and to remain in tranquility, but due to circumstances I am NOT calm..which creates a conflict between my ideal self/ and my current reality. Type 6 will also described me in a negative way as it mentions questions regarding anxiety and being frequently worried. This does not arise from lack of perfectionism like a type 1, but from my constant feeling of being differently which is also attributed to type 4.,.therefore making me detached..

Last edited:
That is indeed quite interesting, but a lot different then how tests portray it. You see some questions ask Are you calm? are you easy going? Yes, that is my main goal to create peace and to remain in tranquility, but due to circumstances I am NOT calm..which creates a conflict between my ideal self/ and my current reality. Type 6 will also described me in a negative way as it mentions questions regarding anxiety and being frequently worried. This does not arise from lack of perfectionism like a type 1, but from my constant feeling of being differently which is also attributed to type 4.,.therefore making me detached..

What you don't want to do is anticipate the test, RL. Plus, each Enneagram number has qualities that can be similar to others. 5 is very calm too, but the *motivation* of a 5 is "to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment."

The calm of a 9 comes from wanting "to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever would upset or disturb them."

Sometimes you have to figure out what motivates you - or which is more like you. Then find the triad that matches your moods when you're totally at ease, and when you're really stressed out.

You might have to take more than one test as well. Like the MBTI, certain ones make more sense than others. If you'd like, I can try to find other Enneagram tests that may help.

Reactions: sassafras