Deeper understanding of the Enneagram & Triads | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Deeper understanding of the Enneagram & Triads

Just wanted some quick feedback. What enneagram type do I strike people as?

3w4 maybe? you strike me as quite composed

I don't see 3 so strongly in TDHT because I haven't really ever seen her as really eager to gain repore with people and promote oneself, but, I could be wrong. If she is a 3 I would guess 3w2. I see more of a 2 but saying that feels funny for some reason.

I'm getting more and more well versed with this system, but I still don't have all the types down pat. However, that said, I really don't think you're a 9. You're too passionate in conversation to be a 9. You have no trouble stating your opinion with enthusiasm and taking control of the conversation.

I PM'd you a few weeks ago, TDHT - and it seems like the consensus is pretty much equal. Mind you, it's still difficult to tell via the internet. To me, you're not mellow enough for 9 and definitely not keyed up enough for a 6. I'm taking 1, 4, 5, 7 right out of the equation, which leaves 2, 3, and 8. My personal opinion? You're not dogmatic enough for 8, but you don't seem as 'nice' as a 2 might be (hard to put that into good words).

So that's why I said 3 in the email. And to soften that 3-ness just enogh, 3w2.

Wow...and TDHT, if you are an E3, here's the company you'd also be with, according to this website: http://www.purchase.com/blog/psychology/enneagram-type-3. Some are good fits, others...a bit crazy. But then, who isn't these days?

Alain Delon
Ali McGraw
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Andy Warhol
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Barbra Streisand
Benjamin Netanyahu
Bill Clinton
Bob Packwood
Brooke Shields
Bryant Gumbel
Burt Reynolds
Carl Lewis
Christopher Plummer
Christopher Reeve
Cindy Crawford
Courntey Cox
Cybill Shepherd
David Bowie
David Copperfield
Demi Moore
Denzel Washington
Dick Cavett
Dick Clark
Elle MacPherson
Elvis Presley
F. Scott Fitzgerald
George Stephanopoulos
Halle Berry
Jack Kemp
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
James Baker
Jamie Lee Curtis
Jane Pauley
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Jimmy Carter
Joe Montana
Julio Iglesias
Kathie Lee Gifford
Kathleen Turner
Lady MacBeth
Lance Armstrong
Madonna
Meryl Streep
Michael Dell
Michael Jordan
Michael Tilson Thomas
Mick Jagger
Muhammad Ali
Natalie Wood
O.J. Simpson
Oprah Winfrey
Paul McCartney
Prince Andrew
Reba McEntire
Richard Gere
Rob Lowe
Robert Wagner
Sharon Stone
Shirley MacLaine
Sting
Sylvester Stallone
Tiger Woods
Tom Cruise
Tom Jones
Tony Blair
Tony Robbins
Truman Capote
Vanessa Williams
Vanna White
Vince Lombardi
W. Somerset Maugham
Wesley Snipes
Whitney Houston
Will Smith
William Shatner

I PM'd you a few weeks ago, TDHT - and it seems like the consensus is pretty much equal. Mind you, it's still difficult to tell via the internet. To me, you're not mellow enough for 9 and definitely not keyed up enough for a 6. I'm taking 1, 4, 5, 7 right out of the equation, which leaves 2, 3, and 8. My personal opinion? You're not dogmatic enough for 8, but you don't seem as 'nice' as a 2 might be (hard to put that into good words).

TDHT's not mellow enough to be a 9. She's an enthusiastic and passionate speaker. She's got a lot of warmth, and no problem interrupting to make a point before the subject shifts (and I don't mind that at all since I do it too). I wouldn't take 1 out entirely. She's quite an idealist, and passionate about how certain things should be. Though, I know a guy who is a 3 (my chiropractor who is into Enneagram), and she's got his energy level and seems to have similar levels of ambition. Then again, I could also see her as an 8, since we share that inner strength and refusal to be anything other than what we are. She's a force of nature unto herself.

TDHT's not mellow enough to be a 9. She's an enthusiastic and passionate speaker. She's got a lot of warmth, and no problem interrupting to make a point before the subject shifts (and I don't mind that at all since I do it too). I wouldn't take 1 out entirely. She's quite an idealist, and passionate about how certain things should be. Though, I know a guy who is a 3 (my chiropractor who is into Enneagram), and she's got his energy level and seems to have similar levels of ambition. Then again, I could also see her as an 8, since we share that inner strength and refusal to be anything other than what we are. She's a force of nature unto herself.

Absolutely (although I hate talking about her in the third person as if she's not even here) - I rule out 8 because of my bias talking. E8 females are usually much more masculine in either appearance or mannerisms: Ann Richards, Bella Abzug, Barbara Walters, Bette Davis, etc. Although Courtney Love and Shannen Doherty are supposedly E8 as well.

I dunno. She doesn't feel like an E8 to me. Not really.

Since A lot of people's confused, some helpful FAQs; Source
4. Don't people's personalities change all the time? I have not heard of anyone's Enneagram type changing after early childhood, though I can't rule out the possibility. Most often, what changes is one's understanding of the personality one had all along. Major life changes most often involve discovery of inner strengths, and admission of weaknesses, that one actually had all along.

5. Doesn't the Enneagram just put people into boxes? Actually it's the other way around, as Riso points out: the Enneagram shows you what boxes to get out of. Most people are not aware of their own fixations, or how powerfully they affect our consciousness.

8. Is your Enneagram type your whole personality?
No, even though well-meaning, enthusiastic Enneagrammers may give that impression. Tom Condon has remarked that one's Enneagram type is analogous to one's national origin - i.e. it is part of one's identity, while still leaving considerable room for individual variation.

3w4 maybe? you strike me as quite composed

I don't see 3 so strongly in TDHT because I haven't really ever seen her as really eager to gain repore with people and promote oneself, but, I could be wrong. If she is a 3 I would guess 3w2. I see more of a 2 but saying that feels funny for some reason.

I'm getting more and more well versed with this system, but I still don't have all the types down pat. However, that said, I really don't think you're a 9. You're too passionate in conversation to be a 9. You have no trouble stating your opinion with enthusiasm and taking control of the conversation. .

Indigo said:

i haven't either actually, but from what i know of 3s they are usually poised, which is how i see her. maybe 1 would be more fitting? she seems to have a strong moral foundation

Wow...and TDHT, if you are an E3, here's the company you'd also be with, according to this website: http://www.purchase.com/blog/psychology/enneagram-type-3. Some are good fits, others...a bit crazy. But then, who isn't these days?

Absolutely (although I hate talking about her in the third person as if she's not even here) - I rule out 8 because of my bias talking. E8 females are usually much more masculine in either appearance or mannerisms: Ann Richards, Bella Abzug, Barbara Walters, Bette Davis, etc. Although Courtney Love and Shannen Doherty are supposedly E8 as well.

I dunno. She doesn't feel like an E8 to me. Not really.

Holy smokes, that's quite a bit of insight into how I come across to people! I'm blushing, because I feel like I'm being given a wee bit too much credit here. lol.

Arby is right. I'm definitely not a two. I care about people and I like to be helpful, but I definitely don't go out of my way to assist anyone. I generally think that most people are capable of helping themselves and I'm able to stand aside without feeling the itch to look over someone's shoulder and check up on them constantly. My mother is a textbook enneagram type 2 and sometimes she annoys the living crap out of me with her tendency to butt into everyone's business under the pretense of being "helpful." By comparison, I'm totally okay with not being needed or wanted. Rejection from other people doesn't bother me either as long as I feel like I have an upper-hand in the situation. I'm more bothered by poor self-assembly or under-performance; if I could have had control over the social situation and I somehow relinquished that control through some thoughts or behaviour of my own, that's what shakes my confidence.

Type 3 is a little warmer. I definitely relate to this:

Threes report that when they realize to what extent they have adapted their lives to the expectations of others, the question arises, “Well, then, what do I want?” They often simply did not know; it was not a question that had ever come up before. Thus, the fundamental dilemma of Threes is that they have not been allowed to be who they really are and to manifest their own authentic qualities. At a young age, they got the message that they were not allowed to have feelings and be themselves: they must, in effect, be someone else to be accepted. To some degree, all of the personality types have been sent the same message, but because of their particular background and makeup, Threes not only heard it, they began to live by it. The attention they received by performing in a certain way was their oxygen, and they needed it to breathe. Unfortunately, it came at a high price.

However, if I am a three, I'm certainly not even half as industrious as the profile seems to imply. While I do place stock in accomplishments and I am a little more materialistic than I care to admit, the goals I set out for myself are made with the intent to protect rather than define who I am. A lot of the time, I procrastinate and struggle like mad with the fear of the unknown (that includes the fear of success and fear of failure, if we're going to be tossing around some pop psychology terms). Furthermore, I'm not into the idea of having bragging rights. I want self-validation, but that's for me not anyone else. I could be perfectly happy living in Castle Xanadu on top of a secluded hill somewhere and nobody knowing that I exist other than my family and friends.

I don't know if that all necessarily discounts the possibility of me being a type 3, but those were my initial misgivings when I re-read that profile.

I'm actually very surprised that everyone here doesn't see me as a type 9 (some more vehemently than others lol). And maybe to an extent, you guys are right, but I'm not sure if I can discount the type possibility completely, as much of that profile corresponds perfectly to how I am at home. I'm quicker to diffuse conflict, even at the expense of my pride (which, admittedly, I'll kick myself for later). I want peace and harmony in my home, free of conflict. The way I see it, the battleground is out there in the world.

This is the part about the 9 that resonates the most with me:

The really crucial problem for type Nine individuals is that they tend to have an inadequate sense of self. This leads to a tendency on the part of Nines to both downplay their own significance and to borrow a sense of significance from others. There is, in fact, a sort of paradox at the heart of the type Nine fixation. At a largely subconscious level, Nines intuitively grasp that the constructed personality, the personality with which most of us identify, is not the true self; it is not who they are. This is, in fact, a very deep truth; the constructed personality is simply that - a construct through which consciousness operates, much of it built out of defenses and reactions to dangers which are no longer present; it is, in a sense, both a limitation and an obscuration. But the constructed personality also serves a necessary function; it gives the individual a base from which to operate, a sense of self, however ultimately flawed and partial.

I'm considering that maybe an 8w9 or a 9w8 is a real possibility for me. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I'd agree with this - probably 5w6, to be honest.

Okay, thanks, and there's nothing wrong with being a 5w6 o.o. I know that it tends to be viewed as a very bad type basically driven by fear (Phobic) or facing it (counter phobic) but very good things can come out of the type. I used to think I was a type 6, actually.

Also, btw, I <3 your sig.

I'm considering that maybe an 8w9 or a 9w8 is a real possibility for me. What do you guys think?

If you get increasingly pissed off as you get less and less healthy, you're an 8. Could you see yourself flying into rages when you reach your limit?

If you get increasingly distant and confused as you get less and less healthy, you're a 9. Could you see yourself going catatonic when you reach your limit?

If you get increasingly depressed and immersed in your imagination as you get less and less healthy, you're a 4. Could you see yourself having an emotional breakdown when you reach your limit?

Okay, thanks, and there's nothing wrong with being a 5w6 o.o. I know that it tends to be viewed as a very bad type basically driven by fear (Phobic) or facing it (counter phobic) but very good things can come out of the type. I used to think I was a type 6, actually.

Also, btw, I <3 your sig.

Funny...

Someone once said, "You know you've found your Enneagram type when you read the description and want to vomit."

It seems like everyone finds their Enneagram type to be a 'really bad thing'... the 'worst thing someone could be'. I think this is because Enneagram is based on people's inherent fears and base motivations, and these are the 'worst' things we can imagine since these are our issues.

Last edited:
If you get increasingly pissed off as you get less and less healthy, you're an 8. Could you see yourself flying into rages when you reach your limit?

If you get increasingly distant and confused as you get less and less healthy, you're a 9. Could you see yourself going catatonic when you reach your limit?

If you get increasingly depressed and immersed in your imagination as you get less and less healthy, you're a 4. Could you see yourself having an emotional breakdown when you reach your limit?

In terms of my behaviour when I reach my limits, I'm on the fence between eight and nine. I can and have done both. I've also done the four thing too, but I don't do the self-pity thing as much as I just get really angry with myself. That's usually where I direct my anger: inwards. Other people rarely make me reach my limit. It's not very easy to make me angry at you. Frustrated, perhaps, but very rarely really angry. Indeed, it's not very often that I demonstrate anger out in the open, but when I do, watch out! If I don't cut you down to size with some choice words and I'm especially livid, I might hurl a slipper or a textbook at your head :p

Last edited:
TDHT looked like a 3 to me. 3w2, yes; but I can see how 3w4 is a possibility.

About procrastination; a friend of mine was a 3w2 too and she suffers from a certain bout of procrastinating too at times.
Funny...

Someone once said, "You know you've found your Enneagram type when you read the description and want to vomit."

It seems like everyone finds their Enneagram type to be a 'really bad thing'... the 'worst thing someone could be'. I think this is because Enneagram is based on people's inherent fears and base motivations, and these are the 'worst' things we can imagine since these are our issues.

Does faceslamming self at desk counts?

Last edited:
Funny...

Yep, I agree. Honestly, based on that description, I had a innate fear of being a type six. The more and more I looked into it, I started to find various similarities in myself; if anything I feel more of a counterphobic six than a five.

Funny...

Hmmm, interesting. By that logic, I'd be a type 9. Though I don't relate much to most of it, there are some parts that fit.

Hmmm, interesting. By that logic, I'd be a type 9. Though I don't relate much to most of it, there are some parts that fit.

I think he means "makes you want to vomit" in the sense that it talkes about a bad aspect of you that you know full well about, but don't want to admit. That's how I feel about being 1w2, lol.

A few questions:

Why is it said that 5w6 is more emotionally detached, when it is started type 6 has a more intimate relationship with their emotions than type 5?

Any good methods for determining tritype?

[MENTION=751]Peppermint[/MENTION]

1) This is probably in contrast to 5w4, as 4 has a tendency to over-identify with emotions. Many versions see people as either 5w4 or 5w6 and not just 5.

2) The method I've seen is to just take a test, then total the scores in each triad to figure which one is second and which is third. Then you can just pick the highest of each three (8, 9, 1) (2, 3, 4) (5, 6, 7) to figure out which one of each is for you. Finally, verification through study, to see if the shoe fits.

ETA: of course, I just did this on the few test results I've stored, and they're inconsistent, so this is only a first step in figuring it out

Last edited:
In terms of my behaviour when I reach my limits, I'm on the fence between eight and nine. I can and have done both. I've also done the four thing too, but I don't do the self-pity thing as much as I just get really angry with myself. That's usually where I direct my anger: inwards. Other people rarely make me reach my limit. It's not very easy to make me angry at you. Frustrated, perhaps, but very rarely really angry. Indeed, it's not very often that I demonstrate anger out in the open, but when I do, watch out! If I don't cut you down to size with some choice words and I'm especially livid, I might hurl a slipper or a textbook at your head :p

Getting frustrated with yourself sounds like a classic Type 1 actually.

Hey IndigoSensor,
Why does being a 1w2 make you want to vomit? What would you rather be?

I just took all of the tests listed near the start of this thread, and as usual, I came out as Type 1 on every one of them. The ones that included wings, pegged me as a 1w2, again the usual result. The last test, with 180 questions, had a description of Type 1 that fit me to a tee.

What is so bad about this? Let's look at some positives:

For one thing, employers always loved me. On my last job I got promoted twice in the first four months. They love it when you work yourself into exhaustion making sure you get it all done, on time, with no mistakes. I have never had a job where they did not have to hire at least two people to replace me when I left. One time they needed four. You may drop dead of a heart attack trying to be perfect, but you should succeed well at work before you do, lol.

Yes, I have an anger problem. But, I've noticed that people who don't know me well, see that Type 2 wing and think that is who I am, and certain types (you know who you are!) will then attempt to use me, dump on me constantly, and walk all over me. Being able to verbally blow them out of the water to the point of scaring them and sometimes literally causing them to physically run away, can put an end to that before they suck all the energy out of me. A gal has to protect her energy.

Some of this is tongue in cheek, of course, but really, what is so bad about Type 1?
Curious,
klutzo
1w2

I agree with everything you said. I am the same way. It's just the negative aspects peg me really well, to the point where I am just "ugh, yes, I know I have b*tchy tendancies, and I can be slave-driverish when it comes to wanting/needing things to get done, and the internal pain it causes me when I don't meet my standards. It's kinda a love/hate type thing.